DC United @ Orlando City game thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Boloni86, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This is something I've noticed in Ben every year. We never start the year with a definitive plan. It's like his idea is just assembling a bunch of random pieces, let them compete and he'll settle on a more consistent hierarchy later in the season. This is the equivalent of throwing everything at a wall and hoping something sticks. Maybe this is why this team can never develop an identity. We're always reacting instead of acting.

$10 says the PK hierarchy is also up in the air now. How Mattocks found himself at the top of that list is mind boggling to me.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's the Ray Hudson method sometimes with veteran leadership, sometimes without.

3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    One thing I noticed during the PK saga was that mattocks looked like there would be no decision during the review and genuinely surprised when it was called a PK. I can’t help but feel like his limp effort had some relationship to this feeling that he was ready to move on with the play and take the throw in.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of agree with you. The 2nd call was red, all day, every day. The first one, I never got an angle that was definitive to me. I would have stuck with the call on the field in that instance, which was a play-on, in the absence of something more revealing. But maybe I just didn't see the best angle.

shawn12011 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  5. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Right but this is the issue, that even after video review the first reversal was not made on definitive evidence. The rules of MLS state that video review can occur after “clear and obvious errors” in on the field officiating.

One major issue I have with MLS relates to how penalties and awards are distributed. This league tends to award “make up calls” more regularly than other leagues. Allowing a virtual referee to make game changing calls can institutionalize this phenomena. So the question is, now that we were granted VAR and two overturned calls, when do we get the other end of the stick?

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But again shammy, I have no idea what angles the ref has access to. The replay that they kept showing on the broadcast was not definitive, but neither you or I can say that there wasn't a better angle that the ref saw which made it an easy call. We simply do not know. I am just saying that if he relied on the 1 angle I kept seeing, it was a poor overrule.

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To both of you. This is the same thing I say when I ref actual games. I make the call I make from the angle I see the action. From the angels I have seen no PK on the handball.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually don't see this as any more of a problem in MLS than anywhere else.

Heist and nick repped this.
  9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK. When I saw the replay, I said "penalty." I don't know if he wanted to contact the ball, but he moved his arm up and out when the ball was kicked and the ball hit him right in the palm. It might have been instinctive, but it certainly wasn't passive, and it denied us a cross into the box.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone that was in the DCU away section, was there any sort of animosity between the groups, or was everyone pretty chill?

11. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There were a couple of BB people, Mark and another couple that I have seen but don't know personally. of the DU/LN it was only me. The others honestly I wouldn't be able to tell you who they were, except some people near me who lived in NW Florida. And I think they were not the only ones. At the end of the game, I found a guy and his wife who I knew from several years ago when I was with the SE, I had completely lost them of sight, only to discover that in the meantime they had moved out west, it was very nice to see them. Anyway, no animosity what so ever. Also, talking to Mark, I had the impression this is still a situation in (possible) evolution. I don't think anything will happen but I would be a little more concerned about the Germantown game rather than an away one.

DecadeOfDCU26 and Winoman repped this.
  12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the info. Yea agreed on Germantown (and Annapolis)...should be interesting

13. roachclip76

roachclip76 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    I know I’m late but I just had a chance to rewatch the game and here are my thoughts:

Good- gk, cbs weren’t glaringly bad. Actually defense wasn’t bad it’s just when we got the ball we gave it right back.
    Bad- lost the ball way too easy. Never valued possession.
    Ugly-Man up.felt like a man down. And a real lack of onfield leadership to demand the ball and control the game.

Thoughts on each player

Ousted-solid, not much he could do about the goal, not sure about the one the defense cleared off the line.

Fisher: did ok, pushed up on offense but lost the ball a lot and wasn’t particularly strong on D...I’d kinda like one or the other but there’s some potential there. Honestly some of this (and some of the others may be lack of playing real game which what I’m hoping)

Brillant and Birnbaum-not too bad but I’m also not sure they were working against top talent. I think it was Birnbaum who shoulda followed the runner and not went to the goal on the goal but still no glaring mistakes and for all the possession and orlando attack we weren’t beaten down the middle, it was on the flanks more than not.

DeLeon-Seems like same guy, not really a RB and that hurts us. Not good enough to play MF. I think he should be a utility guy to sub in multiple positions wherever needed and not a regular starter (but I don’t know how good our options are either).

Moreno- worked hard but maybe not physical enough, we’ll see. Again didn’t notice him a lot but I’m not sure if that’s good or bad for a CDM, maybe he played s role in not getting beat down the middle, but little impact on offense.

Segura- looked bad with that one shot early and a couple early plays but settled down. I like him more as the DM in a 4-1-4-1 than further up. Some of those long shots had some power, he’ll score a screamer this year.

Steiber- played ok has skill but again passes in final third weren’t that sharp and never really dominated on posssesion. Not sure if he’s better on wing or centrally I guess we’ll find out but he might be odd man out with Acosta back.

Arriola- hard worker, runs a lot, attacks the goal, but doesn’t always keep Ball. Love the heart and speed, needs to play with a possessor and distributor. Looked like he hurt himself but would never quit working. I like his personality anyway even if he isn’t the most skilled.

Asad- so far looks a step slow and slow to make decisions or get rid of it to the right place in time. Again skill is there so hopefully this is a case of needing to play together more.

Mattocks- missed out on his few chances, gotta put one of those away. Not sure he got enough good service, but he’s gotta play a lot stronger for a Target man and not lose the ball at midfield so easily

Durkin- ok physically doesn’t seem out of placebut he’s not a workhorse just yet either., decision making isn’t there yet but he does seem calmer and have been flashes of skill.

Harkes-again at times seems like be an on field general and then other times he looks like a young player making bad decisions. Another calming influence in the midfield, or will be in the future.

Mullins-wasn’t in long enough to know anything.

Acosta gives us some possession and a lot more creativity, but still a lot of unknowns. The team wasn’t out of place with Orlando when it was 11 v 11, so that’s a positive, and there is some potential, but there also wasn’t any real wow moments so we can’t rely on Acosta for everything. I’m hoping it’s a case of everyone having to figure each other out instead of having the wrong pieces. I almost wonder if Asad inside and Acosta outside may work better.

Boloni86 and fatbastard repped this.
  14. roachclip76

roachclip76 New Member

Aug 20, 2003

Why annapolis?

15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just read though that a lot of DU are planning NOT to come to Germantown (and probably neither to Annapolis)

16. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because all the supporters are in the same sections with tickets just available to whoever through ticketmaster. same as germantown (except that entire stadium will be a free for all)

i don’t really think anything will happen at either one but they have the recipe, moreso than an away trip that @Theopisa pointed out and i agree with

17. roachclip76

roachclip76 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Oh that makes sense

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I won't be going to Germantown, and I'm up in the air for Annapolis. But it has nothing to do with SGs vs FO. Its that the Soccerplex is a lousy venue. And I'd have to figure out if any of my regulars would want to go to Annapolis.

shawn12011 repped this.
  19. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that given the game time Annapolis makes for an all day tailgate which will could lead to more issue. I doubt anything happens but it only takes one person to set something stupid off.

Winoman repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccerplex is a lousy venue only if you aren't there in time for one of the 5,200 seats. The field is pristine, and the seats are as close to the pitch as they will be at Audi field.

21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I went to a Champion's League match at the Soccerplex. It was on a weekday and I came from DC. It was a terrible drive in and as Hedbal points out, I was a little late so my seat was not so good. The venue is, indeed, terrific.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Champion's League? Isn't that too small for even CONCACAF CL? USOC maybe?

23. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You are right. As I remember CONCACAF wouldn't allow Champions League games, nor Champions Cup, to be played at the Soccerplex.

24. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must've been a recent change before when we were back in the competition in 2014 and 2015.

I wasn't there but certainly remember them playing Harbour View at the Plex and it was apparently frigid.

25. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It was just the Champions League. During the Champions Cup days games were played at the plex.