DC United meet the team day experience

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by smakawhat, Sep 8, 2019.

1. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey all.

Started this thread for people to post their meet the team experience feedback.

Did you go? Thoughts?

I managed to show up just before 10 to a big line to get in. They opened a little late.

Managed only 3 player meets mostly cause I waited for the big line for Rooney.

Talked to a lot of fans some had good points some also critical.

Winoman repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I heard about the event while reading posts last night.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My family used to enjoy going to those, when ALL fans were welcome, not just season ticket holders.

dadman, UnitedBorn and shawn12011 repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah the good old days...........................

Winoman repped this.
  5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Didn't have the chance to get to this, but I wish I could have. Its a great perk for Season Ticket Holders. With all the special pricing deals from marketing, STHs often seem taken for granted. This was nice. Hope they many more of these.

6. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    I did not make it. I fondly remember one of these on a blazing hot summer day at RFK where they had the bins of clothes for sale and I picked up a sweet cold-weather training coat. Still have it. (I may be mixing events up here...I do recall used socks for sale as well which struck me as kind of odd.)

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  7. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a mixed reviews from talking to others and my experience.

People showed up early (I didn't).

You had the option to wait for Roo or basically go to all the other benches for the other players.

One of the criticisms was that in the past meets all the players were at ONE table so you got in one line and got the sigs for everybody all at once in one shot.

They didn't do that, Rooney was in one place with a huge line by himself, then the benches were separated mostly in groups of 2 and 3 around the stadium.

Winoman repped this.
  8. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    It didn’t help them that there was no Arriola or Birnbaum to thin crowds. We skipped the Acosta fastpass because I know doesn’t speak much English and I figured he’d be blank for the kids. Rooney was a complete blank -“and totally disappointing. It was like going to the zoo to see the tired old lion one last time. Hamid and Freddy were fantastic. Ben was cool when he stopped to chat with people. I’m fairly sure my kid will do a Quincy “I’m in your head” celebration next time he scores which is cool to have sown Kuzy style character on the team. Hopefully no one is blowing lines.

All in all, we made the most of what had, but this is a far cry from Days to Unite in the past. This was completely sterile. It looked like they took better care of the club members, but that’s not enough to get me to upgrade and I’m not sure I’d come rushing from a far flung youth soccer game all the way into the district again for this.

sitruc, dadman, fatbastard and 4 others repped this.
  9. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liked it when we could buy old training gear - sweats, shirts, jackets.

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I contemplated going to the MTTD event, I RSVPd just in case :) I used to love them, in fact we used to do more than one a year between one for supporters groups and at least one for STHs - but once I saw they were selling access to some of the players it really soured my desire to participate in it. That and the lack of parking just made it easier to stay home, I had to go to the dump anyway.

I also miss the equipment sales but before cancelling them altogether they split the STHs into tiers for access and again that soured the whole thing for me - I get it, I liked STHs getting first choice so if I was a high-roller club-level type I'd want access before us peon regular STHs - but one of the things I liked about past ownership groups was that STHs were viewed as one group, not 4 groups in tiers of relevance.

PSURoss, sitruc, dadman and 6 others repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Well? How'd it go?

dadman, song219 and shawn12011 repped this.
  12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got my regular two cans of trash plus a big bag out of the basement; only two people in line in front of me, so it went well :)

sitruc, dadman, shawn12011 and 3 others repped this.
  13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Going to the dump with my Dad when I was very young was one of my favorite things.

dadman, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  14. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Ya know, I had to go back and re-read this after Q-Bert's question because I initially read that an entirely different way - more of inadvertently writing "to the" instead of "taking" - cause then it made more sense to me.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  15. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Would have went quicker if you bought the fast pass.

Thx,

Jay!

sitruc, dadman, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.