DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I guess in the pursuit of the truth Mr Boswell should edit his Wiki page to indicate his time at DC was spent with a non-professional organization.

Boloni86 repped this.
  2. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    So the beer had a higher priority than the game, or is the prospect of watching them play while you're sober too hard to face? I do applaud your dedication to the frothy beverage, that's a lot to go through for a beer regardless of your answer

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Are you familiar with the SoccerPlex?

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously not :)

sitruc repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I walked in the front gate, around the corner and into a beer line - that doesn't require any specific dedication. I'll have plenty to drink before I get in line, so don't worry about my intake, but it's always nice to support the local vendors.
    And yes, once you wait over 30 minutes in a line that has no business taking more than 5 minutes, you kind of want a beer.
    If you know how United has historically played at the Soccerplex, you'll want two :)

EdTheRed, Winoman, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    One for drinking and one to pour out in honor of Marc Burch.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the proper way to pour one out for Marc Burch is to stop completely, look down at your feet, look back up, then dump some of the beer a little further away than you had originally intended.

song219, onefineesq, Atouk and 14 others repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FB (and a lot of others) was had.

John L repped this.
  9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    So no I haven't been there and having spent enough time in lines for one reason or another it must be an extraordinary place if you can watch the whole game while standing in the beer line. I usually end up behind someone who provides more shade and a buffer from the wind than a clear view of the field.

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took his second tweet to mean that the team had not contacted him about buying tickets - they just don't care enough :D

nsa repped this.
  11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Here's a question I asked in another forum, but there are more eyeballs here - do supporters groups in other countries (who we are all slavishly trying to imitate) sell game tickets, too, or is this just a money making scheme thought up by MLS groups? I honestly don't see any advantage to the clubs of having SGs sell tickets.

12. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    In Argentina I went to a lot of Independiente matches and the only way you could get tickets to the "good seats" was to be a member of the club. If you weren't a member you could buy from the supporters group who used the exact same ticket sales people as the club. Randomly, there was a member of the supporters group at the line and he would occasionally demand some membership dues. It was strange, but the supporter's membership (which I purchased several times) was very cheap. I didn't bother asking for a receipt.

Winoman repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stop!!! I can't stop laughing!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Winoman repped this.
  14. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where I am scratching my head. It's like being a Hotel and you're taking reservations for a big event. One group bought a whole bunch of hotel rooms because they were planning on all their friends and family coming. Turns out a good portion don't show up. The Hotel should just take the loss on those rooms and take them back? How does it make any sense?

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    dotcom is a dumbass.

onefineesq repped this.
  16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, there's hotels.com, trevago, travelzoo, etc. also selling your tickets at a discount and whatever mark-up they see fit because it helps keep your hotel full, which is more efficient to operate than an empty hotel (and you can upsell the new/different clientele).

If you made those services buy blocks of rooms first, you might be right and it would make no sense, but that's not the only way to look at it. Just the way DCU wants you to look at it.

Winoman repped this.
  17. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah definitely. When Florentino Perez kicked the Ultras Sur out of the Bernabeu mid-season a few years ago, he only got rid of half the section -- those tickets given to the Ultras Sur themselves. The other half were season ticket holders -- abonados -- directly with the club and Perez was unwilling (or unable?) to kick them out mid-season.

In the following season Madrid in place of the Ultras Sur created a new sanitized(*) supporters group, the "Grada Fans," one of whose leaders interestingly enough is an old leader of the Ultras Sur. And similarly Madrid gives the new supporters group a bunch of tickets for them to sell and fund their activities, etc.

[*] here sanitized is not a wholly horrible thing, in as much as the new supporters group doesn't display swastikas or other fascist symbols, get in fights with other fans and/or themselves, etc.

John L repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

I've heard similar things about Boca Jrs and River Plate.

19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Much has been written about the "supporters" of those teams being little more than blackmailers extorting cash and more in exchange for reasonable behavior.

20. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of American soccer fans gloss over just how bad many supporters groups around the world are. There are plenty of places in the world where normal, well-adjusted people don't go to live soccer matches. My cousin's lives in Belgrade, and he laughed when I asked him whether he's ever gone to a Red Star or Partizan game.

Not saying there are any groups like that in MLS, mind you. But, we shouldn't overly-romanticize SG's.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I couldn't agree more. I got the same response from an Argentine when I asked him if he regularly went to the Boca -River matches.
    Fortunately by comparison what we see here in the US is like kiddies on mopeds outside a Chuck-E-Cheese pretending to be Hell's Angels

22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't give the SGs any ideas!:eek:

23. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA

I know it seems like we (here in BS and beyond) are all beating up on the FO and nitpicking but come on, this is just amateur hour-level incompetence and a self-inflicted wound. The reps positions are the level at which we the customers are in direct contact with the club and yet the team continues to staff it with the inexperienced or incompetent.

I'm an adult, I'd like to interact with an adult (except when I'm drunk, then I'll take anyone they throw at me.)

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That badly formatted edit of an email went out to a lot of people, unfortunately.

sitruc repped this.
  25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I got the email after the edits apparently. Funny stuff. Amateur hour indeed.