DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    FloSports already has my money.

2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    When you first posted, I went to the DCU website and just looked for season tickets. Part of the lack of information might stem from the fact that the season has begun, so any price list would be obsolete at this point. Also, the website puts you into an interactive stadium map that shows virtually all seats "sold out" as season tickets. Essentially, there are no available seats on the west side (where I sit) according to that map. I don't know if that's really true, but for anyone trying to buy tickets on line that is what they would see.

Dynamic pricing isn't shady, it's just a carryover from yield management in the airline industry. An attempt to maximize revenue from something that has a "sell by" date -- an airline flight, a soccer match, etc. Think about it, you have 18000 seats to fill for a game, a seat not sold means no revenue from the sale of the ticket and, obviously, no cut of concession revenue from that unsold seat. So, it's worth it to sell that seat below "face value" to get someone in who might not pay "list price". Then you hope they drink a bunch of $12 beers and you get some revenue you wouldn't receive. Remember two can play that game. If you are willing to take your chances, don't really care where you sit, then you can wait till close to day of game and hope to grab some discounted tickets. I chose to pay "list price" for season tickets because I like the location and I don't enjoy playing that type of bargain shopping game. YMMV.

But then again, I could be snarky and say such problems don't exist in Columbus when you only can get 10000 announced attendance for games played by a top of the table type team.;)

dadman and GumbyG repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Just because it is normalized doesn't mean it isn't shady.

4. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do feel pretty dumb that I organized a work group to go see Wayne Rooney on Tuesday night at the lowest available price of $22/ticket. Opps.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  5. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    100% not true. There are 2 seats on my row that are obstructed view, because of the higher railing at the bottom of the stairs. Those seats have only been occupied 2-3 times by someone paying for the seats, so they do sell them, just not very often for $125 or more which is what my section goes for.

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I disagree. I don't like it, but it's not shady. They are quite upfront about it -- if you know those are the rules of the game, it's not shady even though you don't like them. Shady in my mind are hidden tricks where a transaction isn't transparent. In dynamic pricing, you merely are gambling that an attractive seat to you will become available for a match at a price that is lower than "list." As someone noted, the LAFC fans on Saturday lost that bet when they were told the only seats left at walkup were $225. Tomorrow night, you probably would "win" if you played the game.

shawn12011 repped this.
  7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I laughed every time a fan in LA gear walked up and was told " all we have are two field level seats for $255." They would get this sad look an their face and the teller would then say " we have another match on Tuesday" which they would start to walk away.

Winoman repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamic pricing is a shady business practice (in my opinion) for a sports team (or any theater-type venue). Which sadly is exactly what I expect from this FO any more.
    What's really shady, and DCU is in bed with, is the after-market when you decide to sell your tickets.

Apparently only Groupon tells you what a DC United ticket is actually worth these days :)

dadman, roadkit and Winoman repped this.
  9. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first heard of Flo and checked out what they carried, I thought: "shit, I bet Curtis already has this."

Winoman, sitruc and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I haven't always kept the subscriptions up, but they were getting my money when it was just for FloTrack. I held out for a while after Milesplit was absorbed into FloSports because I was more interested in Milestat, but I eventually caved. I also started to watch a little more wrestling too. I've probably watched more wrestling than track and field in recent years.

11. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not sure how many home games we have, but I pay $862.86 per seat for 7 seats in section 127. That's midfield on the West side.

12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full season plans are 20 games this year.

13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave them $608 for three handicapped seats to four games.

14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4439 Kyle Crew, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Really appreciating all the info guys. So, I did manage to find these two pieces of info online from last year's (2018) prices:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the following based on what you guys have been kind enough to share:

2018 > 2019
    $20 > ???
    $25 > $27
    $30 > ???
    $35 > ???
    $40 > $43
    $50 > $55

Seems like a roughly 10% increase across the board.

If anyone else can fill in the blanks for me for my survey I'd greatly appreciate it :thumbsup:

Winoman repped this.
  15. bigdavestud

bigdavestud Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I have two of the $30 2018 (section 130), and am paying $33.5 per game for each ticket.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto, same section - my ticket says $33 even, but I haven't done the math to see if that's accurate :)

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mine list at $49 but I don't think that is what I paid.

18. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Seems like a roughly 10% increase across the board.
    [/QUOTE]

yes, but they also added more games (which I probably wont/cant attend and are cup meaningless), so my rep said I was getting a lower price than last year.

(as I raise my umbrella I keep wondering my leg is getting yellow.....)

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, but they also added more games (which I probably wont/cant attend and are cup meaningless), so my rep said I was getting a lower price than last year.

(as I raise my umbrella I keep wondering my leg is getting yellow.....)[/QUOTE]

no worries it is just rain...........................:D:p

song219 repped this.
  20. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Mine went from $50 to $55 and regularly list for $125

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    you can LIST your tickets however you want - but I've had to reduce my prices to usually just $10 above cost or even at cost

22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sold a ticket for the LAFC game about 20 minutes before kickoff for my season ticket price.

I've sold both my tickets for the NYCFC game next weekend for $20 over my price. I probably should have set my sights higher for that one, but I'm happy they sold.

Last year, I got $100 each for my seats for the Atlanta Labor Day weekend game.

23. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Lovely of them to make the Parley jersey available to STMs in store only. Online, it was sold out (all but 3XL) in under 90 minutes. I guess the STMs who don't live/work in the District are of less value. No surprise.

ejs1111 repped this.
  24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you want them to do? They don't control the online store and they did carry some restricting them to STM so they could actually have a chance at getting them.

25. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Package them with a bow and hand deliver them to each STM! :D

Has ANYONE received a STM gift yet? Or did they do away with them this season?

PSURoss repped this.