DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's wishing Lindsay a complete & speedy recovery, especially after all the grief she's caught on this board.

ImNumberTen, GumbyG, John L and 4 others repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I think that she probably gets more shit around here than she deserves because of her gender. I have no problem with Simpson personally. I think she's extraordinarily hard working; she seems tireless and smart and determined.

But I most certainly do have a problem with the team's PR person giving commentary on the team's broadcast. That is Mickey Mouse bullshit, right there. The conflict of interest is ridiculous.

3. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I've always thought Ben Olsen got too much grief for his gender, or maybe it was Kasper. :rolleyes:

4. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    First, I hope she's ok. If for no other reason that she has appeared devoted to the team (and has now held half of its paid positions).

Second, concussion? How DCU 2010 and beyond. How I miss the days when the team focused exclusively on smaller things like season-ending hernia surgery in Germany and nearly losing your arm to infection.

Third, if I'm her I'm looking for a payout. Can't imagine her existing DCU contract is anything close to what she could threaten to sue for.

So Jason, you don't mind if I call you Jason, do you? Thanks. So Jason, we're friends right? Well, I really think that given everything I'm probably underpaid, you know, by maybe, I dunno, 100%. Don't you think? I mean, really, as a team player Jason, well, every member of the team needs to do things to keep the new stadium away from distractions, you know, like nasty legal action. I know, we're expected to take some hits for the team -- I've been sideline reporter trying to describe this garbage over the last few years, so I know what its like to take one for the team. But negligence and reckless endangerment, well, they are such big problems these days, and insurance costs can go sky high if an employer is found negligent in DC. And, well, I'm thinking I should try to telecommute during my rehab. I hear there are good internet connections in Mykonos.

D C B 2 3, bigredfutbol, PSURoss and 2 others repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I had fun with it but:
    She's a VP who was referred to top to bottom by her colleagues as a "mere" sideline reporter. That's akin to referring to Mario Andretti as a parking valet. If they don't respect her why should I? They're the ones who gave her the title (probably in place of a pay raise).
    Dave J never said word one about her getting hurt. When the news community has a member shot, punched or ends up in harms way they give it so much coverage you'd think they were the only casualty ever. Told to STFU ? I think so and that makes his reporting even less objective if it ever was
    The shit came home to roost.

GumbyG, Dizi and PSURoss repped this.
  6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair.

I always presumed they never referred to the fact that she was a VP because of how Mickey Mouse it'd look to the audience that there's a VP pretending to be an unbiased reporter. But yeah, their complete lack of coverage looks pretty bad.

GumbyG, sitruc, Dizi and 2 others repped this.
  7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen it mentioned here (maybe I just missed it), but SB Nation has a really good article that does an excellent job of describing how I feel about DCU these days and why. Quotes from some current and former regulars on BS.

Winoman, sitruc, 12th Man and 3 others repped this.
  8. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    shawn12011 repped this.
  9. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3634 Bootsy Collins, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Winoman, NicktheGreek and JayRockers! repped this.
  10. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Adam Behnke seems pretty solid so far. Emailed me a reply to a question about LUFC tickets within an hour.

I was shocked.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SG drama appears to be over as per a DC United release.

Cavan9, ejs1111, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  12. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very excited to see this resolved. Excited to be at AF next match!

Cavan9, Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    From Kojo's ears to Tom Hunt's adios on a steel guitar, finally, things are getting back to "normal" (or at least as not fecked up as before). Kudos to all who have worked over the last few days to begin to resolve this unnecessary mess. Best news coming out of the FO in a very long time. First Hype Man is gone, now this.

Stan Collins, Cavan9, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I look forward to making some noise. I have enough photos and video.

15. 12th Man

12th Man Member

DC United, US National, Benfica
    Mar 22, 2001
    NoVA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard that from my ticket rep. BB & DU expected at Wednesday's game. Good news!

Cavan9, Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It turns out Tom Hunt was the problem.

Shocker.

Cavan9, EdTheRed, ejs1111 and 5 others repped this.
  17. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Sure hope so.
    Great--stupendous-- news, if true.
    But, what exactly, precisely, does this mean?

Has the FO had a change of heart (or leadership, cough) regarding the value of the SGs-- in particular the Barra/DUs?

Will the DUs/Barra get the same unfettered access to North End tickets as the SEs?

Has the FO officially torn-up that SE/FO strategic alliance? (hard to do, actually, since that PoS was never in writing.)

If the answer to any of these questions is wishy-washy, this whole thing ain't over yet.

20oth and Dizi repped this.
  18. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Every time I tell myself Steve Goff is a necessary evil to endure as a fan of our team...he pulls a stunt like this

I DESPISE that guy. Why couldnt he stay in Russia???

NicktheGreek repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I think they got plenty of the one thing they didn't want. Adverse publicity. They aren't out of the woods yet some as whole hired Hunt in the first place and stood around with his thumb up his butt while the situation soured over the past 4 months. I'm not ready for make up sex yet, they have a long way to go to before the unfook everything they screwed up

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's not a good tweet for him. Is someone else on his account? I admit I don't follow him much anymore, but that's bizarre and strange especially when followed with

21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee Hunt is gone 7 minutes and a deal with DU and BB is immanent. . Gee how did that happen????

22. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that everyone doesn't love every sports reporter (though I happen to generally like his reporting quite a bit) but you despise him? A sports reporter that you must "endure"? That's absurd. :rolleyes:

Pro tip: Don't read him. It'll make it so much easier to endure.

RednBlack and Dizi repped this.
  23. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cossacks work for the czar.

24. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? What other market has a better beat reporter covering its MLS team? We're lucky to have him here and the Post's continuing commitment to cover DCU too.

fatbastard, GumbyG and roadkit repped this.
  25. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many markets have soccer writers.
    I don’t particularly think we owe Goff any undying loyalty. When he offers something good, I read it.

onefineesq, Dizi and GumbyG repped this.