DC United Academy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mler1019, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    How did it slow down his development? Compare to Durkin, who is nine months older. Both have been training with the first team for years, so no difference in development. Durkin chose to sign, and is now locked in here for a while, unless they sell him. Edwards was free to leave for Europe and is starting on Wolfsburgs 19s. Now, there's a quote from Durkin saying the reason that he chose DCU was because: “I was talking with my agent, and they do a lot of percentage rates – what’s the success rate of a person starting in Europe and playing, being successful. I think it was around 4 percent from 18 all the way up,” explained Durkin. “My chances here are much greater than going over to Europe." I think that's an okay decision, but I don't think its the only path. If your dream is Europe, Edwards' path may be the better one. Time will tell. Edwards can always come back and play MLS if it doesn't work out in Europe.

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each kid should do what they think is gonna work for them. Some kids only dream of Europe. It *seems* like Durkin will get there sooner rather than later if he wants to. Especially if he has a good U-20 WC.
    In terms of coming back to MLS, there will always be a place for those guys... Canouse is a perfect example of a guy who got a lot of good training there and came back and is one of the better D-mids in the league.

4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

USSoccerNova, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The same logic that argues that Europe is a better environment than MLS because the players are better and the training more intense would also have to argue that MLS is a better environment than staying on a youth team an extra two seasons. At least if that logic wants to be consistent.

He's a year and a half younger, in terms of when he turned professional.

That's not correct. The youth team trains mostly with the youth, with some occasional first-team training. Durkin did it every day. He also was inserted into some meaningful games. (Not for nothing he also made money during this period.)

No, Edwards wasn't free to go to Europe, not for another two years. (Again, I have to remind you what we were talking about. My comments concern the scenario if United had offered a pro contract at 16, which you seemed confident he would have refused in order to wait until age 18 and then go to Europe. A 16 year old cannot go abroad unless he has a European passport.)

Winoman repped this.
  7. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    https://www.blackandredunited.com/2019/6/8/18658229/loudoun-united-griffin-yow-louisville-city

4 academy players got time with Loudoun United last night. This was Kayo's and Nyeman's professional debuts, and Griffin Yow scored an absolute cracker of a goal.

This is exactly what I was hoping would happen with Loudoun United....challenging our top academy prospects, and giving them some professional seasoning...but also, Im hoping this pulls more local talent into the DC United academy. Seeing their peers getting professional minutes, and having that pathway to the first team, has to be a great selling point to local players.

Now I hope DC just continues to invest in their academy coaching and scouting.

fatbastard, GumbyG, Stan Collins and 7 others repped this.
  8. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    The former Olney Rangers coach just led NYCFC to their second straight U19 DA championship.

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I watched our u19's play them earlier this season.

Without knowing they were defending champs, i thought they were okay. The u19's have had tougher opposition.

But congrats to them. Only or 4 years old and there academy is already benefiting them.

10. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...t-has-fallen-into-rut/?utm_term=.ea97951b9dd0

Has there been any other update on Bryang Kayo as a possible homegrown signing?

From what I have seen from him in Loudoun and the U17 national team...i really hope DC United can keep him as a homegrown. I think he has the potential to help DC United for a couple of years, and then if he can hit his ceiling...be sold to a European side...and DCU can use that to help reinvest in the Academy

Goff mentioned he was interested in looking at some European options first. I've heard Wolfsburg (where Edwards landed) had some interest.

Is there any other new info out there on where he may land? or if the implementation of TC/SP may impact him leaving for Europe?

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I don’t blame the kid for leaving DCU. We don’t play the kind of game that highlights the best in a player.

sitruc repped this.
  13. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also don’t have any recent history of developing youth and transferring them to the bigger leagues.

Probably too late for Durkin but the club needs to develop and sell Yow to have proof to show academy guys

sitruc repped this.
  14. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks for the update.

Im still holding out hope he stays. I'd love to see DC invest more in their academy, similar to RBNY and FC Dallas...and having players leave for free (Still not sure if they will get TC for him) is not going to encourage them to invest more.

I also think the league has seen a lot of academy kids leave for free the last couple of years. The main one that everyone points to is Weston McKennie, who went to Schalke played for their U-19s, and the next year moved up to the first team.

But there have also been several, who have gone overseas for free, played for Bundesliga U-19 side, then played for their U-23's in the german 4th/5th division...and never really make it.

Im starting to think that the better path for these kids, is to get time playing in the USL at ages 16-18...then get integrated into the first team at ages 18-20. If they are getting starting MLS minutes by age 20, they are going to be far more prepared for European play, than they would be playing in the German 5th division at age 20. This would also, allow the MLS teams to get the benefit of having a low cost player for a couple of years, and getting to sell that player if a European team is interested.... But, this does require more teams to do what FC Dallas is doing and "Play your kids"

Im really interested in seeing what happens this winter with Paxton Pomykal this winter. If FC Dallas sells him for a decent fee...i hope that inspires more players to follow his career path, and inspire more teams to invest in youth development like FC Dallas

fatbastard, John L, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Very unfortunate for the club Screenshot_20190919-210134_Instagram.jpg

16. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wants Europe and can’t until next summer window so I don’t blame him. DC has no real transfer history and between Lucho/PSG and Durkin having multiple moves rejected why come here?

Dizi, Baka_Shinpan and benni... repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    As someone who has watched Kayo play a lot, it's no real loss. He has hype because he's somehow gotten into the U-17 NT. He's not all that talented of a player. He's very athletic, but the soccer skill is severely lacking. Great at downhill runs against kids his age who are much smaller and weaker, but struggles to trap the ball, bad defensive awareness, not a good passer. I doubt you'll even remember his name in five years. There are many better prospects in the upper levels of DC's academy than Kayo. Aside from Nyeman, I'd also say Martinez, Greene and Paredes are better prospects than Kayo is. Garay and Rainey might be, as well.

John L repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman, UnitedBorn and benni... repped this.
  19. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Goff also mentions that DC retains Kayo's MLS rights.

UnitedBorn and Winoman repped this.
  20. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see they were able to sign Nyeman.

It is important to transfer one of him or Yow to a bigger club in the near future to show that we are capable of moving players to the next level.

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Also note that the story mentions that Kayo will join Michael Seaton (remember him?) at Orange County SC. Seaton is now 23 and playing well (at least regarding goals scored) in the second division. Remember the hype around him and all the BS from his mom because he wasn't playing? Maybe he just wasn't that good after all -- both Portland and some Scandinavian club gave up on him also. Projecting youth as professionals is a crap shoot. Remember Shanosky and Martin? Two guys that were supposed to make -- one is in USL and the other rides the pine in Minnesota.

Winoman repped this.
  22. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Kayo was at least good enough that we could have arranged a signing with Loudoun and spared him a move across the country, if he'd trusted us to do so. He's explosive in a way that makes you forget how young he is, and I actually think he will make good, despite his present lack of refinements. I wish him well.

yabo and Winoman repped this.
  23. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Goff’s article says he was willing to sign with Loudoun for a year but DCU declined saying they’d rather give the playing time to players we are developing for DCU.

I can’t really argue with that. You made a decision to go to Germany next year. Why should we waste more resources on you? Also, it says by making him an offer we retain his MLS rights for the future...

sitruc, USSoccerNova and bigredfutbol repped this.
  24. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  25. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Kayo is headed to Wolfsburg...

1228153403362226176 is not a valid tweet id