DC United Academy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mler1019, Aug 11, 2010.

1. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dcunited.com/news/2010/08/tuesday-notes-new-faces-at-united-training
    We all know of Conor Shanosky
    -US U20 team-Milk Cup
    -DCU Academy
    -George Mason Freshmen
    -under our control (we can sign him anytime while hes still in school)

But Jalen Robinson, not as big of a name. (DCU U16/17 player)

Does anyone know of other Academy players who have trained with the first team before?

2. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another academy topic I am curious about (its also SuperDraft related)
    I know that we can sign prospects who are currently in college if they played in our academy for a certain amount of time (2 years? Whats the actual rule).
    Which players in college (prospect or not) falls into this category?

I know Connor Shanosky does (George Mason/US U20)

Do these players?
    Ethan White (Maryland/ US U20)
    Shaquille Phillips (Duke)
    Kevin McBride (Virginia)
    etc.

feel free to add more players and stuff
    heres the academy roster
    http://www.dcunited.com/academy/roster

3. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Funes has trained with the first team.

4. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Even though I'm not media anymore, so this is all "Internet blah, blah, blah," one of my few "sources" that will still talk with me, has been exchange emails recent, one of our "speculation of the future" things exchanges.

He/she has credibility, particularly in the Academy and Youth Development thing over the years. They were telling me about Reserve League and Academies all the way back in 2002/03.

Apparently running around the league is the ability to "buy additional salary cap," and getting rid of the limit of youth players. Basically, if a team wants to expand their roster, they buy a roster spot. Originally it was so that teams could bring in additional youth players - you'll never guess which team and who proposed this originally!

So, for the teams that have a "bonus crop of grapes on the vine," will be able to expand their roster and salary caps by paying an additional 10% to the league of the player's salary. The players would be limited on the amount of time they could play in MLS games - i.e. the old GenAdd limits or else the team must offer them a regular contract.

The interesting sidenote is that it is "getting legs." Now several of the OWN/OPS want to expand it to the regular roster.

Interesting concept: "I want $1,000,000 more in salary budget, so I'll pay the league $1,200,000." The "intent" is for the league to get out of the "OK, we'll fudge that extra couple of dineroes to sign that player."

5. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like some quality Calvinball potential to me.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that this is the same guy that I brought up late last year when asked on these boards if there was anyone else in addition to Najar that looked highly talented from the youth team. (I had seen Najar live a few times last year whereas most had seen his name but had never seen him play .... going out to Germantown is a hike)

But I simply couldn't remember his name, and I could only describe him. If it's who I think it is, this guy is more of a controlled player. Fairly strong player for his age, very composed passer and good wheels. I hope that he turns out well for us. We need all the help we can get. Oh, and when I saw him play, he played out of the deep midfield position, not central defense. Of course, that may well have changed since last year.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not academy related, but youth related...
    Whats the deal with Junior Carreiro?
    ANyone have an update? Is he going to join the team? What kind of player is he?

9. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know about Junior?

And Im so glad we inked Shanosky.
    I truly believe we have a top 2 MLS academy

11. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Junior is a trialist right now, I don't think he needs to be protected. If he signs, then a team can take him but since United is the only team that has see him play, I'd sincerely doubt he'll be taken.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not really going out on a limb. The results say we're number 1 (3 out of 4 Sum u-17 championships), although results aren't everything. But our signings are looking good so far!

13. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The majority of people believe Dallas has the top academy. Its more so about who you produce than what you win. (and they havent done terribly W-L wise either). But like minor league baseball, its about development and less about winning the AA championship.
    And i agree, Im loving our signing so far

14. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah I know that...hes not yet officially part of the squad.
    But do you know when he may be signing with us? What kind of contract? etc
    Thanks

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    They do? It's hard to make that assessment when only one of them has even been eligible to play in a game.

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Not really one that got away. He's trained a couple times with the senior team and was headed for Duke. DC still has rights to him should he come back stateside.

18. vabil

vabil Member

Sep 5, 2002
    The real academy training has not come into full effect. These older original players were produced by area club teams and foreign countries (Najar). None of these guys are DC United Academy "products". DC United is located in the talent filled Washington DC area and can also draw from VA Beach to Philly sometimes. Time will tell if DC United can produce true pro prospects. I don't like everybody promoting these kids as if they were with DC United since they were young (it's simply untrue). Guys like Phillips played for teams like MSC and Bethesda. He did not receive training from a young age by DC United or any other academy. There are now some younger kids (12 year olds are the youngest I think) who are participating in a pre academy system where you still have to pay to play. In 6 years when those kids start showing up on pro rosters then I'll give props.

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point, but 2 or 3 teenage years in an academy is a lifetime in terms of player development compared to younger ages.

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to echo Nobletea's sentiment...I get your point but think you are undervaluing the effect of a couple years of intensive training at this age.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm just glad we have Academy players like Hamid to look forward to seeing play for the rest of the season.

22. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you jinxed that, he's now out for the season ......

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    For the record (and before anyone wants my head like nick), Hamid was already ruled out for the season when I posted that. It was a joke.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sarcasm meter did indeed go off :)
    But that damn thing is sometimes on the fritz with BS posters, i mean sometimes half the really insane stuff people say in the Politics forum is actually serious on their part :eek: