Pre-match: DC - Pittsburgh USOC 4th Round

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nobletea, Jun 17, 2015.

1. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been hoping that Aguilar can get himself a goal against this tired defense. I think it would be great for him.

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that there's that much difference between our subs and most USL's 3rd division starters. Strangely, the only guys we've gotten much value from out of the minor leagues were John Wilson, Clyde Simms and Ezra Hendrickson. Of the guys we've sent down for seasoning, we've never gotten much of value back aside from Bryan Namoff, Joe Willis & Dykstra.

bigredfutbol, Marco10 and Winoman repped this.
  3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    No other options tonight. No other central defenders available..

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    3-1

On to the next one.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    He's no Bill Hamid.

Thx,

Jay!

asitis repped this.
  6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think it is safe to say that, unlike years past, there is nobody on their team that we will be interested in signing.

song219 and Winoman repped this.
  7. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm willing to give them Jeffrey for Sterling Flunder. Just for my own entertainment

asitis repped this.
  8. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite so, we're only carrying three dedicated central defenders on our roster this year.

9. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    You know, that's sad thinking. Vincent is better than Aguilar and maybe DeLeon, but doesn't have the upside, same with Kerr, he's as good as a third level MLS wide player, but again doesn't have the upside. Don't get me started on Earls versus a guy like Neal or some of the other stiffs in MLS. They also had a couple defenders who were light's out too, much better than second team MLS place fillers due to salary cap concerns.
    Just saying USL players are not that far removed from MLS. It's more down to their luck and connections than their play. They can play.

JRHokie repped this.
  10. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Haha.

11. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I would take Hunt or Flunder any day of the week as a backup wide defender, and Hunt can play centrally too. These guys can play.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pittsburgh been holding on since the first half of regulation. They didn't have two goals in them.

13. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Speaking of river hounds, the cameraman sure had the hots for the girls in face paint. For a while they were front and center in every crowd shot After his (I assume) highly artistic shot of bouncing boobies from below the production guy caught on and the girls were gone.

sitruc, song219, Boloni86 and 2 others repped this.
  14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Halsti and Doyle (there, I said it).

Real Mobile and Winoman repped this.
  15. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I'm having a hard time understanding your concerns in this matter. Seems like it was handled well from my end.

16. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    No concerns here, just noting one of the colorful aspects of minor league soccer. When watching a USOC game entertainment of any kind is valued.

Marco10 and Winoman repped this.
  17. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TCB.

Coria has been a pleasant surprise. Silva is slumping hard, he's not going to get much play if it continues, right now I'd rather have Coria come off the bench.

Boloni86 repped this.
  18. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    ,, Yeah, I'm with you.

In terms of lock starters, we have Espindola, Rolfe, grudgingly Deleon, Arnaud, Kitchen, maybe Halsti, and the defense all of which Kemp, Korb, Opare, Birnbaum, Franklin, and Boswell are starters or starter quality.

So, how do you line them up?

I'm saying our best lineup against NE is:

Espy
    Doyle/Coria
    Rolfe, Arnaud/ Halsti, Deleon
    Kitchen
    Kemp/Korb, Birnbaum/Opare, Boswell, Franklin
    Hamid.

Bench: Silva, Arrieta, and whoever beyond them.

Funny. We have a deep roster, but then again we don't. We got a lot of second tier talent, not so much first tier and our third tier is scary.

19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Vincent may be better now than Aguilar, but he's Boyzz Khumalo -- a very good USL player who won't be anything other than filler material in MLS. You're right that they aren't far removed from MLS quality, but they aren't MLS quality and that is why they are in USL outright and not on somebody's loan program. Remember the bad old days when Kasper went mining for gems in USL? The best player he found was Thiago Martins and he was, at best, as good as Doyle is now.

shawn12011 repped this.
  20. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Haha. Maybe true, but Thiago was USL MVP back then. Scored 3o goals in 33 games in USL. Still the second leading scorer in Riverhounds history after playing barely a year and a half. Not a bad guy to take a flyer on. And I think you favor Doyle to even mention him in the same sentence. No chance Doyle scores 30 goals in USL even back then. : )

I'm just saying, and you are agreeing by the way, that MLS second-third string is almost indistinguishable from USL starter. The difference is, the better players will take the starter money to play every day in USL, while the MLS bench players will take basically meal money to sit on the bench and hope for better.

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

I don't think Coria has played 90 minutes in months … maybe years … let alone 100+ minutes. I think it was the pragmatic choice to sit him. If someone was going to pull up with muscle cramps late I'd rather it be Jeffrey, Doyle or Mishu ...

mosca repped this.
  22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I also wasn't particularly impressed with his defending either. His distribution out of the back was very good, but we gave up too many chances. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since it was a totally new partnership with Opare but I'd rather have him as my starting center mid. The guy just oozes calmness which we desperately need further up the field

Winoman repped this.
  23. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Halsti was surprisingly bad in the air. He lost a lot of balls to Cabrilo and the sub Russell beat him a few times.

JayRockers! repped this.
  24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I like Dykstra … I can think of a handful of MLS teams he could start with if he continues his form.

I thought Robinson did OK. This is the first time I recall ever seeing him but I'm always pleased to see an academy grad get minutes in a competitive match.

I'm happy Coria and Aguilar played tonight. They looked like they were enjoying the game. It's nice to see attacking players actually trying to attack. It's not every day you see a United player actually taking on a defender 1v1 and winning.

I'm happy Arrieta got his assist. It was a frustrating night for him. The timing was off, he was constantly offsides and he wasn't getting any calls. But in the end he finds a little space and makes it count. But really this game reminded me again how badly we need a target up front for our system to work. A resolution to the EJ issue can't come soon enough ...

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yeah … I watched the Finland-Hungary game just out of curiosity and I thought he had a bad night there as a CB. I'd be surprised if he starts the next game in that position for them. He did save a goal off the line but he almost scored an own goal, picked up a poor yellow after getting beaten on the dribble and consistently lost his physical duels with Hungary's big center forward.