PBP: DC @ Philthy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Jun 23, 2017.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday 7 PM

They've lost 3 straight and are in last in the East

We owe them one after last time at RFK

Making my first trip to Philly so that should be enough to spur them on to victory

roadkit and Winoman repped this.
  2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I know this is only the halfway point to the season, but I'm not a believer in mythical late season winning streaks that propel you from the bottom of the table into the playoffs. Just because it happens sometimes doesn't make it a thing. In reality the teams that make the playoffs tend to be in playoff positions for most of the season.

So looking at the table we need to play with a sense of urgency. You lose here and we'll likely fall back down to last place again. You win and you likely leapfrog the Revs who have a tough game in Toronto. Now you're suddenly in 8th place with the playoff line within touching distance.

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Sam to start in place of Le Toux, and perhaps Jeffrey replacing 35 year-old Marcelo, but otherwise the same lineup as faced Atlanta, with newbie Brown replacing Ortiz at some point in the second half.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are referring to this game as a "must win", hopefully we are seeing it the same way - or at least ready for their attitude.

Always a scrappy, ugly, game of soccer between these two teams, so I expect a hard-fought 1-1 game, where if there is a positive light anywhere in the universe, we'll get a lucky deflection with 3 minutes left to make it 2-1 (or 1-2 for those of you who prefer the score to be listed home team first instead of important team first :)) but 0-0 would not surprise me either.
    In other words, I have no damned idea.

5. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd expect Odoi-Atsen for Korb, Korb's gone 90 last wednesday, saturday, wednesday. if he can play the hell yea but that's a lot of compacted minutes. is Franklin still alive?

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We face a compacted schedule with Philly on Saturday; NE in the Open Cup on Wednesday, then MLS matches on the following Saturday and Wednesday. I would assume that Ben is more likely to play his "best 11" in the MLS matches and run out subs in the Open cup. But what does that really mean for us, with so many injured? Korb played 90' at left back against Christos, and 90' at right back thereafter. Marcelo went 90' against Christos, and 90' against Atlanta. I expect to see Odoi-Atsen and Robinson in the Cup match, with Korb resting, and perhaps Boswell gets a start as well. Buscher, who had two goals and an assist against Christos, will probably start against NE, resting Acosta. I don't think Brown is fit enough to go 90', so do you start Ortiz and hope, or do you slot in Neagle?

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a tv interview on the DCU website, Ben confirmed that there would be some "fresh faces" against Philly.

Murrdcu repped this.
  8. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like Vincent, Franklin and DeLeon are available for selection. Anyone have inside info on their fitness?

9. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Run out some subs. I don't like Philly, but I really like winning Open Cups. And since I've given up on reaching the playoffs this year, I want to go after the one title for which we're still in the running.

superdave repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Philly road trip I am going to miss in a while. Got a game worn Neagle jersey at the last one.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I disagree. The biggest thing this team lacks is morale. These moments when the players walk off the field feeling positive have been rare for us. When it happens you need to build on it immediately. Otherwise you lose in Philly and we're right back in last place feeling sorry for ourselves.

2013 was an anomaly. It's not a template on how to manage a season. Right now mathematically I actually give us better odds of making playoffs. We're actually only 4 points out of the last playoff spot. That's a two game winning streak and a little help from the teams ahead of us. And still plenty of time that gives us room for error. Remember that MLS's playoff line is pretty low. Mediocrity is good enough. Winning the Open Cup on the other hand requires a 4 game winning streak with no room for error. I wouldn't start sacrificing regular season games for the US Open Cup at least until the quarterfinals, or even semifinals.

12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we're 4 points out of 6th with 18 games left

13. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to back wins would almost certainly put us back above the red line with 16 games to play. We are clearly doomed.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  14. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ..and the worst goal differential. But by all means, put a TON of stock into one win.

15. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't, I'm putting stock into being 4 points out of 6th with 18 games left.

But by all means, put a TON of stock into 4 points being an insurmountable hill to climb over 18 games.

16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally agree with the sentiment about late season playoff runs, but if that run is due to the team coalescing and getting their shit together in the last half of the season, I'm fine with it.

I'd rather see a late season run than running the table for the first half and collapsing into middling mediocrity for the last half.

Winoman repped this.
  17. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how do those things work for wiping up spills anyway? <ducks> :ROFLMAO:

shawn12011 repped this.
  18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They tend to miss the mark..............:rolleyes:

song219, NicktheGreek, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    As long as you're filling in your wish list how about a cheesesteak a birch beer and a pretzel for the Greek kid? Two in a row is like wishing for world peace but what the hey?

shawn12011 and dadman repped this.
  20. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Looks like Hamid, Kemp, Birnbaum, Opare, Odoi Atsem, Jeffrey, Harkes, Neagle, Le Toux, Acosta and Ortiz

Korb, Sarvas and Nyarko kept on the bench. I'm bummed about Neagle starting over Nyarko, but I understand with the congestion. I really wish Nyarko was fitter so he can absorb more minutes. After a guy scores his first goal in a long time it would be ideal to play him again to build momentum.

22. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    whoa. remix.

we're missing Nyarko

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    doop ...

Where the hell was Kemp on that play? He was at least 10 yards out of position for no reason at all. He just got sucked upfield ball watching. That play developed off a restart in Philly's own half after the Ortiz yellow card. There was at least 30 seconds before the restart for all DC players to get into position. Inexcusable at this level. I'm honestly over Kemp. I'd rather have Korb and Odoi Atsem as my starting fullbacks.

Winoman repped this.
  24. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    how does that guy get so completely unmarked? Le Toux drifting back in as the ball went in the goal

Winoman and Freestyle2000 repped this.
  25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Halftime.

So disgusted by that goal. Stupid pointless yellow card foul by Ortiz. A harmless restart. The crosser just walks into our defensive third with all day to pick out a cross. Nobody anticipating the back post run. And even for Hamid that is a totally savable shot at near post.

It's like a domino effect of shit.

As for going forward, can anyone point to one single thing that Neagle has done in 45 minutes? Anything? We might as well be playing with 10 men. Le Toux not much better ... even sent a corner directly out of bounds.

Harkes and Odoi Atsem are the only two guys who realize there's a game today. We need Nyarko and Brown ASAP.

GlennAA11, Winoman and Freestyle2000 repped this.