Days until we sign someone?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jul 19, 2017.

?

How many days until we sign a new player

1. 5-7

8.0%
  2. 8-14

8.0%
  3. 15-21

8.0%
  4. 22-28

8.0%
  5. the day after the transfer window closes

12.0%
  6. the offseason

32.0%
  7. 60-90 days

24.0%
  1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People love to say that, but I'm not sure it's true about Olsen. He's clearly no Oscar Pareja, but Kemp, Korb, Birnbaum, Kitchen, Opare have all gotten better under him. Doesn't mean they're world beaters or that it's all his coaching. Others haven't progressed. But just remember how few players actually go from being solid prospects to being really good pros. It's not that high a percentage.

shawn12011 repped this.
  2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The results of this poll look pretty funny right about now. :)

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference between a player developing and a player merely becoming acclimated to the league. I would put Korb and today's Birnbaum in the latter category. Kemp is a good call, he's on the good side of the develop/acclimate line. (But it's pretty close.). To my eye, if you look at Kitchen as he was in his last season, he merely acclimated. He was improving at a nice clip, but took a big step backward at the end. Then he couldn't make it at a non-Old Firm Scottish side, which I think confirms that judgment.

What I think is interesting is that the 2 top prospects, Kitchen and Birnbaum, both hit a peak and then dropped. Don't know what that means, exactly, but it means something.

I always like Opare as a player before he came to DC, so he's about what *I* thought he would be. YMMV.

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Isn't that the trajectory of most "prospects" who come out of US colleges? The really good prospects generally become above average MLS players at best. The only two I can think of that are the exception are Dempsey and McBride and it's been awhile since even Dempsey broke onto the scene.

6. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If that means Medel chose to play at a higher level, for a club that has a season leading up to final Conmebol qualifiers, and will hopefully play a few rounds deep into the Champions League, I concur. Every player wants to put themselves in the best possible position to go to Russia '18 and DCU would not have been first with a bullet

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Jordan Morris, for example. Chad Marshall, Matt Hedges, Zimmerman, Gonzalez, Besler. On and on and on.

The further up the field you move, the more college isn't the right path. But all the players I mentioned except Deleon are defensive players.

I just don't see how you can defend Olsen's ability to improve young players. It's really bad. Then throw in that the combination of him and Kasper has been awful wrt foreign acquisitions. The only thing they're good at is identifying the right cast offs. Even then, the evidence now is that they hold onto those guys too long.

Besides, that skill matters, but let's be real. Being smart in the "MLS veteran" category means you can patch the holes in your roster with solid-to-good players.

bigredfutbol and Boloni86 repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I wasn't defending Olsen's coaching, just making an observation on "prospects" coming out of college. Of the additions on your list, maybe Morris someday will reach elite status, right now no. The other guys are solid, above average MLS players, they are not game changers by any stretch of the imagination.

9. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #260 shammypants, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    I have a weird theory that D.C. got help paying for Arriola (and decicing on him) by the league and or USMNT. It's not based on evidence, just a set of thoughts and the fact that the league does shit like this.

First, Arriola has had a few games raising his USMNT value lately but he's fallen off in Mexico. Rumors were he didn't have any big options to go to.

The USMNT is trying to build youth since a lot of their quality players are older and won't be huge contributors at major events anymore (or are already retired). It's important that national team players have homes and salaries and are considered valuable.

He isn't a 4-5 million dollar player. When you compare him with other, better and cheaper USMNT players or internationals the sale doesn't make sense at that price. It also doesn't make sense given united's financial situation of years past or huge need at many positions. Why would united splurge on a guy like this when Vela wasn't acquired for basically the same amount?

A lot of actors benefit from this move more than D.C. United. The league is elevated by a team spending record amounts. The USMNT benefits. Importantly, league darlings LA Galaxy benefit to the tune of 500k at a time when they are on the downswing.

Lastly, all of our other choices were either free or extremely cheap and we reportedly whiffed on several other targets. Maybe we went cheap because Arriola was expensive or maybe we went cheap because we intended to go cheap all along, had no one intervened.

So I think we will spend more and get more players if we didnt actually contribute all or even any of the transfer fees. That's the good news. The bad news would be he is not going to contribute like a 4-5 million dollar player is expected to (Valeri, almiron, Nikolic), because he may not be one.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as we're getting all conspiracy theory-y, there's the unexplained disappearance of the Stiebler transfer fee.

Winoman repped this.
  11. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

"That's Stieber..."

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting theory. I might even buy it. More importantly I have zero problem with it.

13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Me either, but it could be problematic if true and the owners use it as a smokescreen to not spend next year.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicanery and deception from this FO??? No way!!

15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the Arriola signing. Now we get to see if Benny can actually get some decent players to play decent soccer together. I doubt it, but am hopeful. This season is essentially over so we literally have nothing to lose.

james

Winoman repped this.
  16. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hopeful - he's showed us he can just last season as they had the best attack in the second half of the season with what will all but certainly a worse lineup.

17. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think we should have any opinions on players after a game or even three games. Let's not forget that Luis Silva scored 3 goals in his first few games with us and then started disappearing after that into oblivion.

18. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva had 11 goals the season after his debut. Then then the injuries came. He's a good player, he just can't move well enough.

bigredfutbol, mosca and Winoman repped this.
  19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Plausible.

My theory on Stieber is that Ben/Kasper probably had no idea who this player was like 3-4 weeks ago. What they really wanted was Krisztian Nemeth, a player they knew from his MLS playing days in SKC. When it became apparent that other MLS teams were favored to sign Nemeth, some agent somewhere called and said "well, there's this other Hungarian forward that is available"

This is similar to how we got Ortiz. Someone called and said "they know a guy".

Not saying that Stieber can't work out. I hope he does. But I just don't have any confidence that Olsen/Kasper scout any foreign players in depth. And I'm not just talking about traveling abroad. Even just watching games on tape and being generally in tune with the talent market in leagues like Argentina, Portugal, Belgium, France etc ... How can you choose from a menu where you don't understand anything? DC just rolls the dice and hopes. You notice that there is never an inherent plan when a foreign player comes here. They stumble around for a few weeks, and only then Ben figures out what he wants to do with them.

Winoman, shawn12011 and sitruc repped this.
  20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gee that sounds like a FO with no plan and no real scouting department. :eek:

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  21. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

You could pretty easily drop half a million dollars on an international scouting department. The problem is if you find and sign three new guys every year through that department, they have to each save you $160K a year over the three guys you get off a list produced by a kid in his basement with a copy of Football Manager and access to Transfermarkt, right?

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    We don't need a "department" necessarily. At most maybe an assistant that compiles data and video. The real scouts should be Kasper, Olsen and Ashton.

I mentioned Nemeth a few posts ago. Just listen to the way Peter Vermes talked about that player. Nemeth caught his eyes years ago as a match for his 4-3-3 system and tracked him while he was in Greek league, Dutch league etc. He didn't need a department. He had his own curiosity to follow these other leagues and identify prospects that fit his vision.

Do you think Kasper or Olsen could answer on the spot which players they like in Dutch league or Greek league? I doubt it. The evidence as I've seen it over the years is that their curiosity only extends to MLS, USL and NCAA. Kevin Payne was the last member in this organization to show that genuine global curiosity.

Eastern Bear, Winoman and Hedbal repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good so hire me. I can assess players, watch film and recommend signings.

Winoman, Boloni86 and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can do better than that. Hire me and I will travel to Europe and South America, at a leisurely pace, attending matches in every country and watching hours of film, and talking to players and their agents. I will send in my recommendations along with my bill. A word of warning: I don't stay in cheap pensiones.

Boloni86, Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.