Day games or night games?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Roehl Sybing, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I don't know about you, but I'm not big on having games played in the afternoon. The Olympic goal medal match comes to mind, as does the Women's World Cup and MLS Cup. I mean, the atmosphere is great and probably doesn't need help, but games played at night are more electrifying, more exciting, in my opinion. Wouldn't you agree?

2. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer going to night games. It's usually cooler at night so it's more enjoyable. I also think that night games look better on TV.

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I like night games better. But when the sun is shining and it's nice warm weather I can live with a day game too :D

4. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Night games are much better, except when the temperature hovers in the 40s.

5. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think here in the U.S. night games make more sense considering the summer heat and attendance patterns, but living in NYC, I would rather go to a an afternoon match, as I like to go out on Sat nights-very rarely do I watch an away match live Sat night; 99% of the time on tape Sun. morning.

And I don't agree at all that games at night are more exciting. Many leagues play matches in the afternoon providing fans with loads of exciting play. Perhaps it's the feeling that some night matches are presented as a "showcase" for TV-Arsenal vs Man. Utd., played this year on a Wed. night (IIRC) an example-that creates an extra sense of excitment and anticipation. And I suppose watching the tifosi in some of Italy's big derbys at night is more of a spectacle, with the flares and elborate banners/displays. But I don't think that equals more exciting play.

6. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    OK, now I know the prefered drug on BS is crack, because you guys are on it.

Night games are horrible. Nothing like a game on a sunny Sunday afternoon. It looks better on TV , the uni's look brighter etc etc etc. As for electrifying fans it has NOTHING to do with night or day and instead , location, championship situation, impotance of game.

7. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Nothing wrong with a night game. Gives you all day to get pissed up.

8. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Night games for some reason seem more emotional for me.