David Stern vs. Jim Rome

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 14, 2012.

1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this probably belongs in the BB sub-forum, and if the mods feel strongly about it, I guess they can always move it, but I figured it wouldn't get much traffic there.
    so did anyone catch Rome's interview with NBA Commish David Stern?
    they both got a little testy. here's a link to it - though at this point it's all over the Internets.

I think it's a cheap publicity stunt by Rome, and Stern called him out on it.
    yeah, the beating your wife question was a bit on the edge, but Rome asked Stern an absurd question that Stern couldn't answer correctly no matter how he answered it, and even by entertaining the question, he would lend credibility and legitimacy to an absurd claim - that the NBA lottery was fixed. so rather than answering the question, Stern retorted with an absurd question of his own (when did you stop beating your wife) to demonstrated the absurdity of Rome's question. by asking the question the way he asked it, Rome basically asked Stern if he was a crook, and his league crooked. what exactly did Rome expect? did he expect Stern to address the question seriously, especially given how he phrased it? of course not! yeah, Stern's response was a bit edgy, not exactly what you would expect from a league exec, but Rome and Stern have had back-and-forths like that before, so this wasn't totally out of nowhere. the funny part is that Rome understood the beating your wife comments for what it was (even though his "clones" don't seem to have a clue about it, and think the comment was about domestic violence), and although he didn't like it, it wasn't what really upset him. what upset him most was when Stern called his question a "cheap thrill" and then to make it worse, told Rome that he basically made a career of cheap thrills. which really offended Rome, but in my opinion, Stern was spot on (let's just ask "Chris" Everett what he thinks). Rome is like a stripper-turned-actress, who's trying desperately to hide his stripper past. he's trying very hard to transform himself into a serious sports journalist; the Barbara Walters of the sports world, but he will never be fit to even untie the shoes of even Bob Costas.
    still if you look at all the publicity he's getting from this, it proves Stern's comment about cheap thrills to be exactly spot on.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sit next to Jim Rome, don't be surprised if you catch fleas. Why Stern would talk with that guy, I have no idea.

3. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I don't quite get that either. only thing I can think of is that he gets some kind of thrill out of the back-and-forth, which are usually pretty lively, and get testy at times. I think that's why Stern didn't hesitate to go there yesterday - but he probably didn't realize that so many dummies out there would not understand his retort (it's a common debate tactic) and would misconstrue it completely. and of course, that's what the media will focus on - oh Stern called Jim Rome a wife beater! NBA commish accuses Rome of domestic violence, etc.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    How does Jim Rome still have a job? He is more dated than a Savage Garden CD.

5. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Jim Rome: the last man in Los Angeles with a goatee.

Still, I like to see more public figures invoke the "Have you stopped beating your wife?" fallacy. Especially when it's also a legitimate question.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How about Garbage? My 18 year laughs at my Garbage CD. Mind you he loves the Beatles but he says Garbage is so ... dated.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Garbage was a terrible band. Not Cranberries terrible but not far from.

8. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Has anyone not seen the clip? Only wish Everett had gotten a clean shot.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We all know Jim Rome is a dick, but David Stern is a total moron. He should have just said "no, of course it's not fixed" and leave it at that.

At least Sepp Blatter knows how to tell lies without messing things up, we have to give him that. :D

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    The NBA is more cartoon than sports league. So, getting into a slap fight with a mickey mouse journalist is quite appropriate. Perhaps they can bring in Meta World Peace to moderate the next discussion between the two.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Where's the errant meteorite when you need one?

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It heard the Cranberries and made a left at Albuquerque.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It has been awhile since I paid attention to the NBA, so I had no idea who Metta World Peace was when he got himself in the news for routine felony assault (oops, sorry Mr. Stern. A flagrant foul) a couple months back. Color me unsurprised when I found out it was The A-hole Formerly Known As Ron Artest.

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    The league is an absolute joke. Virtually everyone involved has admitted that there are two sets of rules. One for superstars and one for everyone else. That is no different than figure skating or gymnastics where the favorites are slotted and receive higher points from judges for equal or lesser performances. To me, all of these "sports" are good entertainment to see the incredible athletic ability of the performers, but they aren't serious sports competition.

I watched the Bulls glory years, and coming from chicago, I can say that they were a joke in many ways. Did you see how Jordan literally tossed Craig Ehlo out of the way before hitting his famous shot against Cleveland? That ain't sport. That's "reality" tv where the Bulls were scripted to win.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're confused. MJ wasn't a superstar at the time; that was a legit shot against the Cavs. It was Bryon Russell of the Utah Jazz in 1998 whom Jordan fouled to get space to hit a game winning shot.

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy mistake to make, though. Most people would assume some violence would be necessary to make Ehlo's jock fly that far.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It hit already. We are in the rapture period.

18. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    You mean Italian soccer?

19. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely no push-off here...

[​IMG]

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Too fast for Ehlo to catch.

He's thinking of the push-off against Utah, MJ's final shot for the Bulls. Probably a foul but the referees tend to swallow their whistles late. Probably helped by being MJ but other players have had similar calls.

To me, the superstar call thing is overstated ... it happens a bit, but these happen to be the best players so they do get fouled a lot. The only exception being Blake Griffin. His most celebrated dunks tend to be outrageous offensive fouls, he gets them by forearming his mark out of the way. Nobody on Planet Earth is allowed to do anything like that but Blake Griffin. That drives me nuts, to the extent that I wish for the Clippers to lose each and every game by wide margins, and I have no connection with the Clippers and previously no bad feelings, in fact I kinda liked them because they weren't the Lakers.

Blake Griffin, public enemy.

21. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always wondered why I never see that shot over Ehlo shown from the regular tv view that people get on tv. Now I get it, it looks about 1/10th as spectacular from that angle - plus you don't see Jordan's wild spastic celebration.

Definitely no foul, although Ehlo looks like he gets collapses or falls out of the way to avoid Jordan's legs when he's celebrating.

22. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Stern bothers me

23. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Rome is shit on a stick. He's the Morton Downey of sportscasters, but with a shitty goatee instead of fake horse teeth.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  24. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Ehlo's at least 25 feet away from MJ when he falls down, so he's in no danger even if Jordan stole Manute Bol's legs. It was a "I can't believe that just happened" reaction.

25. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Okay, okay, so I was misremembering! ;) It was the Utah game I was thinking of, but this only serves to demonstrate how little I care about this league. :D

P.S. I love college basketball, so it's not the sport itself, its the NBA that sucks.