Dash 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by SiberianThunderT, Nov 27, 2017.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #501 hotjam2, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    if Mewis goes, so does Daly. Unless they broke up, then one will probably be traded, lol

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Uuuhhhh I dunno about you, but to me kernel's postulate follows perfectly. If USSF/Ellis is upset at the situation in Houston, which is what many of the preceding posts were saying, then it makes perfect sense to ask whether a good player not getting called up might be because she plays for the team that the feds aren't happy with - in which case that's certainly the fault of the fed's coach for snubbing a player when it's the organization that's the problem, since that's petty and counterproductive. There are plenty of instances around the world where good/great players are unjustly snubbed by their federation simply because of where they play, (Gio in Toronto really comes to mind,) so it's an entirely valid question to ask.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    !!!???

but, but...she's been called in since ussoccer had their purported problem with houston. no? and so has campbell.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good added info. In addition, Ohai was called into camp in July although she didn't make the game roster.

The problem with KT's post illustrates one of social media's big problems. Although the post starts with "if," it then says "it's another reason Ellis has to go." So then other posters remember that Huerta isn't getting call ins because Ellis is upset with her team and it gets repeated when, as luvdagame says, it's not true. If posters want to criticize Ellis, fine. If they're making things up and then stating them as a basis for criticism, that's not fine. Indeed, if a poster is going to criticize someone, they have a high level of responsibility to get their facts right. And in particular, if a poster knows he/she wants the criticized person to "go" no matter what (as KT has acknowledged is his/her case with Ellis), the poster should be very careful to be factual.

Or, a poster can believe that it's ok, since it's only social media, to make things up, state rumor as fact, and promulgate whacky conspiracy theories over the media. I don't think that's the right thing to do, but it's what comes with free speech. That's why I compared KT's post to something Donnie would put out on social media.

CoachJon and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Look, reality is that if Ellis thinks a player is phenomenal and will help her win, she's going to call her in regardless of the coach. If you're fringe, maybe it has an impact and maybe it doesn't. If you've never been a part of the team and your coach believes you should be and lobbies the national team head coach, which does happen, might be that the NT head coach is less likely to pay attention if she doesn't like the team head coach. There's no way of knowing for certain, though.

CoachJon and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #506 SiberianThunderT, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Hence, as cpt elaborated, why "if" is a powerful and dangerous word =-)

I don't follow the NT issues much myself, so I don't keep track of who gets called in, or who gets called in enough, as I know some people argue about. There wasn't a single Dash player called in for the current FIFA window, so I'm guessing that's what KT was referring to. That's still a pretty noticeable snub considering the Dash had four players called up in the past year (at least according to Wiki; Campbell in particular hasn't been called in since April, which IIRC was right around the time that the purported problem happened, so I'm not convinced she's a good example). So KT wasn't as far out to lunch as you guys are making, at least IMO. That's why I defended his post.

Either way, I don't care too much about who Ellis calls in - I'm more concerned about what issues are happening within the Dash.

7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Janine Van Wyk the first offseason departure. Won't be the last.

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    guess that means Pauw is leaving too? Shame though, for her size, she could really hustle, Excellent tackler, 1v1 defender as well. I'ts Brooks that I would get rid off(or at least at CB)

I'm not going to post those nightmarish highlights of their final game, but even Daly didn't seem to get into it(as she kicked back the ball, instead of the fast break, on numerous occasions)

9. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Van Wyk is leaving regardless of what happens to Pauw. She's unhappy and gone either way. No big loss. The only time the middle of the defense looked stable this year was when she was benched in favor of Polkinghorne. Unfortunately Polkinghorne got injured and she had to be brought back into the lineup.

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Van Wyk started in 20 games(& never got subbed), The only time she sat on the bench was against the two weakest teams in the league(Sky Blue & Spirit) in August, one game in July. Here are her stats
    https://us.women.soccerway.com/players/janine-van-wyk/253659/

11. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Trust me, that was the point of the season where she was benched. Those two games were back-to-back. Polkinghorne would have taken her spot at CB sooner if not for injuries and other issues that forced Vera to use her in midfield.

Had Polkinghorne not gotten injured, she and Brooks would have been the starting pair for the rest of the season. We could go back through the tape of every game and a large percentage of the goals were her fault. She hustles a lot, yes. She puts out a lot of effort, yes. She's not NWSL quality. Everyone on the team thinks she's awful. Note how many times Pauw had to flip flop where Brooks and JVW played (left or right side) so that Brooks would always be on the side with the weakest fullback to provide cover. She can't pass out of the back to save her life. She's not good. If you think she is, then hey, I'm glad you like her but you won't many people in the league that would agree with you.

12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    P.S.: you got your games mixed up. Just had to double check as I know she didn't start against Utah on August 5th. Her last start would have been on July 22nd against Washington. She was sent to the bench for the August 5th game against Utah and the next game against Sky Blue where Polkinghorne sprained an ankle. She was back in the starting lineup thereafter as Polkinghorne ended up being out for the rest of the season.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    didn't seem like a snub to me, since the players called in were better.

campbell, in particular, was pretty poor last time she was called in.

CoachJon repped this.
  14. DashingOn

DashingOn New Member

Houston Dash
    United States
    Aug 27, 2018
    Do you think other departures will be like Van Wyk or trades within the NWSL where they'll get something back?

Wonder how long it will take to hear an announcement on whether Pauw is returning or not.

15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There is one other departure from the league I know of. If Pauw is brought back, there are a bunch of players planning to demand trades. Which the biggest problem with that is a season like this one where the performance on the field is excellent despite the locker room issues and discontent being extremely high is really only feasible if you have strong veteran leaders in the team. Once those are gone, teams will tend to collapse (not unlike the 2016 Dash after Masar and McLeod were gone).

CoachJon repped this.
  16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    DynamoManiac, in your opinion how does Sofia Huerta like it in Houston? Do you believe she will stay there or ask to get traded?

17. DashingOn

DashingOn New Member

Houston Dash
    United States
    Aug 27, 2018
    Thanks. Guess we’ll hear soon then about the second departure? Assuming they’re going somewhere with an open transfer window, unless it’s another Van Wyk general exit.

I presume it’s not Huerta since she previously told fans she’s doing the W-League this offseason.

18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I have to be careful with what I say here as there is stuff that I can say, and stuff that I can't repeat without risking getting people into trouble.

On the Huerta questions, I don't know Sofia personally. What I've second hand is that she is really happy living in Houston, but not at all happy with the coaching situation.

Not sure when additional departures will be announced (other than when the waiver list comes out but that won't necessarily be indicative of departing players) and departures will depend to a great extent on whether they bring Vera back or part ways (which I'm assuming will be the latter, but one never knows for sure).

CoachJon and MRAD12 repped this.
  19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What is it about Vera that players don't like? Does she scream and yell, does she make them run wind-sprints, is she too controlling, does she have the personality of sh_t, does she like some but not others and plays favorites? What is it?

20. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Way too many reasons to list, but read back on the previous page and you'll see some of it. Goes well beyond your normal tough coach thing.

21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    previously I gave the off hand reason that 'brilliant Dutch coaching'(inventors of the modern era/total football concept) is often confused with 'insanity'!
    read that Huerta & Pauw hated each other with utter contempt. But got to ask; didn't Pauw take in Huerta, mid season, let her play her favorite spot(so she could look good for Ellis)., let her take a team leading 62 shots?

so why on earth should Huerta have show much influence? Especially since it's obviously she didn't get along with her former Red Stars coach as well(otherwise why did he let her go?)

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Actually the spot that she was supposed to play for Ellis was right back, where she never played for the Dash. From what I understand, however, that was not at all an issue and the supposed desire for her to leave Chicago so she could play right back was just cover for wanting to get away from Dames.

Other than that, you're reading what I wrote and conjuring up something that is not at all what I said. Where did you get Huerta having a ton of swing and dictating everything from what I said? All I said was I hear she's happy being in Houston but not happy with the situation within the team which just makes her one of 18-20 players unhappy with the situation (no idea how Motlhalo or Kgatlana feel). Her influence is no greater than any of the key players on the team.

It has been made clear, however, that either Pauw goes or most of the team bolts. So, if you want to put money on the table I'd be delighted to wager. I'll even give odds.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  23. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Someday maybe one of the players will go public with their side of the story, but I doubt it. They'll put it behind them and move on. But if doing things like lying about people to get them fired (one of the milder issues) is brilliant, then yes she's brilliant.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    my bad, I mean't to say it was suggested by another poster on a different forum that Huerta was the main instigator.

I would say if Pauw looses the support of both Ohai & Daly, then she's going to be pretty much ousted.
    The importance of Ohai; good talent/poster girl looks, but also her high profile boy friend brings in a lot of free publicity,
    Daly, cause she proved to be one of the best players in the league, & that got to be a bit credited to Pauw's style(Daly got to understand that cuz she got barely used on her other team, the English NT, where last week, she got only 10 min. of playing time as a sub in their biggest game of their WC qualifiers)

25. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ah, okay. Apologies, misunderstood. Yeah, she's definitely not the main instigator. This began long before she was here. Vera infuriated most of the players on the first day of training and it never got any better. Away from the cameras, the most polite thing you'll get out of any player on the team is "it's been an interesting season" with a look of exasperation on their face.

She lost the support of Daly and Ohai and everyone on the team that matters long ago. Daly is the kind of player, though, where the more pissed off she is the more intense her play is, so being angry worked in her favor.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.