Dash 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by SiberianThunderT, Nov 27, 2017.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I can post a link but Athletic Soccer is a pay site. It was in a Caitlyn Murray story and she posted some quotes....I'll try and find those.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #377 kernel_thai, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Did Ellis really say that because the Swedish league is not great, she may not call Press up to the national team? That is such nonsense. Press is an outstanding player, as Ellis is well-aware since she's been a NT player for years. One doesn't lose one's qualities because of a change of league'\s. She's going to keep Lloyd on the team, you can bet on that--and Lloyd plays on the worst team in the NWSL and has only scored 1 goal. Ellis seemingly can be quite subjective and prickish.

Speaking of Lloyd and the trade that sent her from Houston to New Jersey, I'm baffled by Sky Blue's decision to trade Sam Kerr--the best striker in the league (or certainly one of the top two or three strikers, at worst) for Lloyd. What WERE they thinking? Did they think they were getting fair value? Kerr is 24; Lloyd will be 36 in a little over a month and is playing out the string until next year's World Cup, after which she will surely retire. (And an argument could be made that she should be retired already.) Did the league pressure Sky Blue to take Lloyd because that's where she wanted to play? Whatever the case, it was a crazy-bad decision and now Sky Blue can't score goals and has yet won a game. I feel sorry for the coach. And of course Houston got abused by the trade as well.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before you go on such a rant, it would be good for you to find out exactly what Ellis said. So far, it's a "someone said" and someone tweeted about and then someone else tweeted about the tweet. Go to the interview and let us know exactly what Ellis said, please. I'm interested and I imagine others are, too.

5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Quite often on trades, you have to understand the backstory. For example, people scream about why the Dash traded Andressinha. What they don't know is she refused to return to Houston, so they had no choice.

On this three team trade, you had three marquee players that all demanded trades. Lloyd, Press and Kerr all wanted out of their respective teams. In the case of Kerr, there was a risk that she would not return to Sky Blue. Press was threatening same with Chicago. So, you get what you can. Don't forget, it wasn't Kerr straight up for Lloyd. Sky Blue got Lloyd, Beckie, Hoy, the 6th pick in the draft and the 13th pick in the draft. That's a decent haul. That Sky Blue went and wasted those draft picks is on them.

CoachJon, blissett and cpthomas repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Maybe not, but losing an NT spot due to a change of league happens rather often on the men's side, actually.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Good win for the Dash tonight. Hopefully neither Simon nor Mewis r seriously injured tho Mewis was confirmed as a knee injury. Nice to see Ohai get her first.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    For me any type of comment no matter how vague is Ellis sending a message. There was really no reason for Ellis to say any more than u'll know who is on the camp roster when it comes out. (on Tuesday)

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    not sure what this threat has to do with anything about Ellis since she never uses any Dash players! lol. But last nite's game featuring at least 3 of her faves from the Spirit side, Pugh, Lavelle & Sullivan vs the Dutch coached Dash, makes me wonder when Ellis is going to top ducking the Euro champs in favor of her endless assortment of tomato cans?

another Ellis question; will she release all the Courage players to take on Lyon(down that their coming to the US). about the same time TON is played?

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    below are highlights of last nite's game, plus a link to the full match, which I would highly recommend to the fast forward to the start of the 2nd half, which had to be one of the most entertaining half's I've ever seen!(skip the 1st half since only one shot was taken by either side, lol)

full game
    https://www.go90.com/videos/7z2O2b8mTlJ

being able to bring Kgatlana & Latsko late in the game seems to be Pauw's strongest suit. But I still got to differ(with other Dash fans) on the value of Brooks & Chapman; it was this time Chapman with the flub that gave way to the Spirit's 2nd goal, while I still don't see Brooks as an erstwhile defender(if anything, turn her to a much needed play making mid), but then again, I don't think Pauw bother's with a midfield(obviously with all those hail Mary passes, lol)

11. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    It was Hanson's backpass that gave Spirits the 2nd goal.

kernel_thai repped this.
  12. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    About the value of Brook and Chapman. You don't understand our pain. They are head and shoulder above about 20 backs we have had over the years.

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did enjoy the second half. However, I fear Kristie Mewis has a bad injury and I was really rooting for her this season - It seemed to me she was playing with a level of maturity I had not seen in her before and was conveying that to other members of the team.

fire123 repped this.
  14. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Mewis has become my favorite player on the Dash this season with her work ethics and skills too. She was asked to mark the other team's best players , especially in set pieces and she has stepped up to the challenge, keeping Ertz, Long, Sinclair well in check. She looked to be well liked by her teammates and worked well with them.

CoachJon repped this.
  15. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Thanks for this. I should have done more research on this situation/trade before writing as I didn't know that Kerr wanted out of New Jersey. I knew that Sky Blue had got something more (pick or player) for Kerr but didn't realize that they got multiple players and picks--and decent picks at that--so the deal was more fair than I realized. Even so, if you lose a top goal scorer and don't get one in return, and Sky Blue really didn't, then you've got a problem as players like Kerr can make all the difference. And it's certainly not a good thing for the league when three of its most high-profile players all want to leave their teams.

One goal scorer who's helping Houston a lot is Daly, obviously. Wow, she's been good---good with her amazing pace, but she's just a good all-around player, and what a work rate; she's all over the field. Very impressed by her. Were Press playing forward for Houston, I'm not sure she would have had the impact Daly has had this year--and I like Press.

CoachJon and fire123 repped this.
  16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Agree with last couple posts on Daly and Mewis. Pauw biggest mistake this season was thinking she should use them in the back line.

CoachJon repped this.
  17. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    So sad to hear that Kristie Mewis is out for the season. Glad that it is a knee sprain instead of the dreaded ACL.

blissett repped this.
  18. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I hope I was not mistaken. When I read "sprain", I automatically thought of it as being less severe. They would not have called an ACL "tear" the same as a sprain, right?

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They mentioned on the broadcast that Hanson had been replaced as a starter because she had trouble holding the ball. I haven't seen that but the next evolution in her game is going to be advancing the ball. Id bet at least 70% of her passes r back towards her own goal instead of forward thru the midfield.

20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    from her own words, itss an ACL
    33939738_1848598488516674_286578926866661376_n.jpg

21. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    A sprain is damage caused to a ligament resulting from the over-stretching of the ligament. That damage can include remaining in an over-stretched state (Grade 1 sprain), a partial tear of the ligament (Grade 2 sprain), or a complete tear of the ligament (Grade 3 sprain).

So a tear (caused by over-stretching) is always a sprain, but a sprain isn't always a tear.

Of course, the reason that sprain has become the the go-to word for sporting orgs. is pretty obvious; it's far less graphic and it makes a major injury sound much less severe.

fire123, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  22. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    So do we know which grade of sprain did Mewis suffer? Is she going to have surgery?

William49 repped this.
  23. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    I haven't heard...maybe she'll let us know.

And just to clear, I'm not a doctor or anything like that. Just a guy whose family has been through four of these.

It's not really as cut and dry as I made it seem. For instance, my wife had an ACL that was 50% torn and she was pretty much fine. A little discomfort, but nothing that a couple of Advil wouldn't knock down. She has about a four block walk everyday to and from the El, and that didn't both her in the least. Three months with an off-the-shelf brace and she was fine.

I, on the other hand, had a 33% tear and my knee wobbled back and forth like a bendy straw. How it tears (or ruptures) and the effect that has on knee stability is the determining factor as to treatment. I needed, surgery.

Of course, what I'm referencing is the effect on normal, day-to-day life. When it comes to competing, any hint of tearing or fraying and they shut you down for three months.

fire123 repped this.
  24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #399 hotjam2, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    in depth stat/analyse(but still subjective) look of the Dash/Spirit game
    NWSL – Run The Numbers – Houston Dash 3 – 2 Washington Spirit | All White Kit

current league standings, the Dash are only two points away from a playoff spot, though the 4th Thorns got a game in hand/ Unfortunately next game is vs the unbeaten Courage/ Still, got to give em credit for right now, being ahead of the star studded Red Stars
    https://us.women.soccerway.com/nati...ens-soccer-league/2018/regular-season/r44134/

25. ricardo17

ricardo17 Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Now that Mewis is unfortunately out for the season, who is Pauw's third center back if needed? They do have an international slot atill open so maybe they look to fill it with a defender. If I were the Dash, I'd inquire Seattle about Maddie Bauer. Maybe send a 2nd round pick for her.

kernel_thai repped this.