Dash 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by SiberianThunderT, Nov 27, 2017.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Maybe not as much active as this one, but Seattle Reign FC's 2018 thread already has 10 pages. ;)

2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #352 hotjam2, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Rachel Daly seems to be the go to player in a game the Dash could of won if it wasn't for the Brooks flub. Daly barely made her own England NT, only picked as a last minute sub for the She Believes Cup where she only got about 20 min. of playing time. Guess you could say the same for the rest of the team as so many were on the fringe of making the USWNT, but never became a regulars. So based on player comparison's vs the more heralded/star studded other squads, their doing quite good. But considering all the energy expanded, got to wonder how long will this momentum last? and of course, we don't got perennial last placers, the Boston Breakers, to kick around anymore.

3. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    On papers, yes the Dash should be in last. But we don't play on papers. Look at Sky blue! ;)
    I love the fighting spirit of this team, don't you?

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The UWS Houston Aces have a new affiliation with the Dash. I think the UWS wants to be a semi-pro league at some point - if they can accomodate NCAA rules for college players, which it looks like the Aces are trying to do.
    For the 2018 season, the Aces and Dash have expanded its working relationship by allowing player exchange opportunities. The Aces roster will be made up of post-collegiate players, current professionals and international players along with players from the NWSL side as needed. HAR FC will be Houston's collegiate affiliate, thereby allowing NCAA student-athletes to play.

6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Robinson sounds like a wanker.

The Dash were bad today against Utah. Saw parts of the game in both halves and the midfield just seemed out of it--could not get the ball and gave it away repeatedly when they did.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The midfield was absolutely atrocious, on both sides of the ball.

8. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    The midfield wasn't very good, especially Simon. I don't doubt that they will come back though.
    More worrisome is Ohai. She was nothing like the Ohai we knew. I don't know if she is still unfit.

9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Ohai wasn't very noticeable yesterday, true, but she was lively in the previous game, I think it was. The Dash seldom had the ball yesterday--36 percent possession (vs. 64 for Utah).

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's what look like very one sided highlights from the Dash recent games/ Wonder if there's a better replacement at CB for Amber Brooks?, defensively she flubs at least 3 times in the highlights plus gave away last game's goal

glad to see Erica Tymrak start & score though, she's one of the league's classiest/fun to watch players, who often languished on the bench over at KC

11. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    She was also pushed very deep by Utah p
    Seriously? That last game give away wasn't on Amber. That is all Jane Campbell. Poor pass, Chicago player way too close to hit it to Amber then never tells Amber the Chicago player is there.

She didn't have a great game against Utah, but not many CBs would when your midfield is swiss cheese, you have a rookie forward to your left and Janine Van Wyk to your right. Outside of that game, however, she's the only reason the Dash haven't been conceding 4 goals per week.

CoachJon repped this.
  12. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I almost forgot, have to give some credits to Allysa Chapman. She was/ is a great defender and she gives 100%+, all the time. She was not the only reason the Dash had not given up more goals but she has been a huge contributor. ;)

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    take a look at the highlight over & over again at about the 20 sec mark(better yet, in slow mo) van Wyk passes it back to Campbell, who has no choice to pass it along herself. Brooks sees the ball coming to her(so it's not unexpected), She temporarily looks away to check on any Chciago players that might be around, Goes back to looking at the ball as it rolls towards her, then.............walla, she trips over herself

14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    That Chicago-game giveaway goal is completely on Campbell. She doesn't look before passing the ball. She just turns with the ball and slots it to the centerback, not really assessing whether the centerback is in a position to receive it AND, more important, whether there is an opposing player looming--and there was. Had she looked and processed, she would have waited for someone else to come open with space or just kicked the out toward midfield. I've been curious about Campbell since she's been on the NT, and I have to say that she has not impressed me all that much.

15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I have watched it a number of times. Even had Brooks not slipped, that play was trouble. It was a horrendous decision by Campbell. Huerta was far too close, she read the play and jumped it. There was absolutely zero that Brooks could have done.

CoachJon repped this.
  16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    She's a pretty solid shot stopper most of the time, but she's awful with the ball at her feet and her distribution is poor. The scouting report on her is clear, soon as the ball gets passed to her, rush her as quickly as possible as she makes poor decisions, which is why Huerta already had a jump on that pass. Brooks never stood a chance, regardless of what she did.

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    the real culprit might be Pauw's insistence of playing the ball from the back via short passing(rather than booting it out)

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    great come from behind victory for the Dash, scoring in the last minute of play to beat current 2nd place Reign. Very satisfying, since certain Reign fans tend to be trolls(you know who you are)

19. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Wow, the Dash got lucky for once. We never seemed to have luck on our side. We'll take this one. Got outplayed most of the game until the Reign ran out of gas. ;) It wasn't that hot except maybe it still felt like that for out-of-towners . ;)

Chapman still deserved the most praise, she hustled and played her heart out.
    Mewis looked good, Kgatlana was a spark and provided the big assist.

Other players looked from half way decent to outright bad.

Ohai was off-form, never made any good run, she ran very little which was not typical, she either has not recovered from injury or it has not allowed her to get in shape.

Just like earlier games which I commented on, Keever was bad in defending and in passing the ball. Pauw finally subbed her out and put in Agnew whom I praised for being a better defender except Agnew proceeded to be just as bad ;(

Coach also put in Motlhalo for Hanson, which I hope just to rest Hanson because of the 3 games in a week. Motlhalo gave nothing on offense and she was not strong on defense. She was tentative, even in the attacking 1/3, the middle 1/3, she backed off from the attacker with the ball just like when she was in the defending 1/3. That allowed her opponent time on the ball. I don't think she understands the difference. Yet, she did not give enough cover so there were holes in front of the back 4 quite a bit. When she went in for a tackle, you knew she would lose it every time, she was just not strong enough.

Compare to when Hanson was in there with Lewis, they worked together very well. If one moves outside, the other covers the middle, one moves up , the other stays back ...

hotjam2 repped this.
  20. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    She made that decision during or just after the last game. I heard about it within an hour of the final whistle, so don't think it was fatigue related and wiuwould surprise me if it sticks. She's adamant about playing Motlhalo and right now of the three out there, Hanson is odd dog out (although I think you could make a case for sitting Simon and moving Mewis up).

21. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I guess Pauw has seen Motlhalo played light-out ... against opponents from her confederation and thinks that translate to this league ?

Maybe someone should tell her about Nina Burger.

CoachJon and DynamoManiac repped this.
  22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    dash played with urgency and directness in the second half, while reign seemed to wilt.

... still, if seattle (specifically taylor) were not supremely profligate....

blissett repped this.
  23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obligatory NNWSLR :laugh:
    [Houston-Golden State] NBA Western Conf. G5 (home team first ;))
    Q2 45-40 Durant(?) shooting 2 free throws. Cut to courtside seats, where Justin Timberlake sits next to JJ Watt (Houston Texans, he's in town). Cuddling Watt's other arm is ... either Kealia Ohai (Houston Dash, she's in town :inlove:) -- or somebody who looks very much like her :devilish:

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So Dash get props for working hard all game. To be honest they were way overdue to get a cheap goal or two. On the other side, not pleased to Motlhalo at defensive mid in place of Hanson. Hanson is a much better defender and the defense is already hanging on by the skin of their teeth all match. If Pauw feels Motlhalo's offensive game needs to be on the pitch then she needs to beat out Mewis or Simon for one of the two more offensive midfield spots. Only person Id prefer in Hanson's spot would be Brooks following the acquisition of a quality CB (for Press). Speaking of Press I saw Ellis mention in an interview that the level of competition in the Swedish League may not be high enough to get Press called in to US camp.

25. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a link for the Ellis interview? I'd love to see it.