Dash 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by SiberianThunderT, Nov 27, 2017.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No.

Unless you actually want to make a different sport, called "soccer", from the one we play in Europe, called football. :rolleyes:

You know, the same way in USA you play football and not rugby, baseball and not cricket... It's good that basket was created in USA, or you would have changed that one also! :x3:

That would frustrate GKs even more and make them close to useless.

2. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's not the fact of a 0-0 result. Obviously not all 0-0s are equal. Some of the best matches I've seen finished 0-0. But I don't think anybody wants to watch a match where one side is so negative that they take only two shots all game.

On the selling tickets front, I'd rather win 4-3 than 1-0. In part that's a function of trying to attract an American audience in a city where you are competing for attention with pro baseball, football, basketball, men's soccer and (now) rugby. Fact that the baseball team is World Series champs and the basketball team is best in the league makes it even more difficult.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  3. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Tell that to the pro rugby league.

I'm not for changing anything, however it wouldn't be unprecedented. Canadian football, for example, has some pretty significant differences versus football in the US.

blissett repped this.
  4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only part of the game I would modify is Law 11, Offside. [The way officials call offside evolves all the time, and I believe the law has changed in the past. My bad memory recalls that it used to be 3 players, usually two defenders and the keeper, not two players the way it is now.]

Over the years, from time to time, I have thought hard about how to make the call easier to make by adding a line to the field. I could never make anything work.

One idea that would not solve all the issues, but might improve things somewhat, would be to extend the 18 to both touchlines and say a player could not be offside if the ball was served or passed from between the 18 and the goal line. I think that is consistent with how currently, a player receiving the ball from a throw in is not offside and also a receiving player is not offside if that player was in his/her own half when the ball was served- meaning currently, it is not always the second last defender that determines offside.

.........And I would propose to make the change FIFA-wide, not just the USA.........

blissett and Smallchief repped this.
  5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would note that the rules of professional basketball are different for men and women in the United States and that the rules for basketball are different in the United States and Europe.

Oh, those evil Europeans.....fouling up the beautiful game of basketball. ;)

The difference, I suppose, is that FIFA exercises a paternalistic -- some might say imperialistic -- control of the beautiful game of soccer.

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Is it possible that every one here is over reacting a bit :)? I mean this is pre-season and to my knowledge the first game in which she went overly defensive. I'm willing to concede that this was a strategy that she wanted to try out and Portland was as good an opponent to try it against.

It will become concerning once she start sitting back every game against every opponent in the league. But for right now I'm not gonna form any opinions based on pre-season.

blissett and cpthomas repped this.
  7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Absolutely, I take anything that happened in Portland with a grain of salt. With the week one opponent, Chicago, able to see you play three times there is absolutely no way you let them see how you're going to play in week one (unless you are stupid).

That having been said, the emphasis in training since she has arrived has been on defense. Which is a good thing and badly needed. I just hope she doesn't have them playing the way she had South Africa play.

blissett and Blaze20 repped this.
  8. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Part of it, is goals are only worth one point. If we used American Football points it sounds a lot more high scoring. A 3-2 game becomes 21-14 which isn't thought of as a defensive game.

9. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    However, according to my calculation, which I hope is accurate, the average number of goals scored per game in the first women's world cup (1991) was 3.81,
    In 2015, it was 2.89. That's a big difference.

I think you could calculate the same decline in the number of goals scored in the men's game.

5 goals scored per game on average in my opinion is about ideal.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Interesting tidbit here. Abby Elinsky who was drafted by Dash and an early cut may have caught on in a replacement player role with Orlando.

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course. We basically left the main topic behind and went a little more philosophical about different views of what this sport should be.

And spiced it up with some good old rivalry between respective mindsets of USA and Europe. :giggle: But all in a good spirit, I guess. ;)

DynamoManiac repped this.
  12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Check this out. Press may be going to Seattle.

blissett repped this.
  13. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Some head scratching stuff in the Dash roster announcement, if it ever actually gets released.

blissett repped this.
  14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I’m guessing you are talking about the Dash shedding yet another natural central defender. Do we know if she maybe wanted to leave for reasons or she just didn’t make the cut? And I’m talking about Roccaro by the way

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Roccaro signed very late so maybe she was a bit conflicted.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Goalkeepers (3): Jane Campbell (FED-USA), Bianca Henninger, Sammy Jo Prudhomme (DD)

Defenders (5): Lindsay Agnew, Amber Brooks, Rachel Daly (INTL-England), Lotta Okvist (INTL-Sweden, DD), Janine Van Wyk (INTL-South Africa)

Midfielders (6): Claire Falknor, Michaela Hahn, Kristie Mewis, Linda Motlhalo (INTL-South Africa), Meleana Shim, Allison Wetherington

Forwards (5): Savannah Jordan, Thembi Kgatlana (INTL-South Africa), Kealia Ohai, Nichelle Prince (FED-Canada), Kyah Simon (INTL-Australia)

Topic...Pauw's team. The 11 players in bold r Pauw players either previously or brought in by her. If more draft picks r signed they will also be her players. No matter how well or how badly this goes, when u bring in over half the roster u have to take the credit or the blame. Normally a new coach would get a free pass for year...but not in this case. She needs to at least be respectable.

17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Vera decided to waive her. It was clear through preseason that Vera didn't rate her highly, but I can't believe you couldn't trade her even if it was for a 3rd round pick.

Also was talking about trading a draft pick for Weimer and then waiving her less than a month later.

18. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with the premise that just because Pauw brought in so many players that she gets more blame assuming things go poorly. Regardless of how many players she brings in now, it's hard to change things in one off-season especially if you don't have a lot of "capital".

Now, I do think that Pauw should not get a free pass assuming there's a bad year for Houston, but for a different reason. The player management moves that have been made suggest people in charge that don't know the NWSL. She's bucking the trend in a lot of ways. She's gonna have to prove that it works quick.

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I disagree with your disagreement ;)

I look at the Dash and I see a core of very good players to build around if you make the right personnel moves. Instead, most of what they've done is pick up unproven players (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and players that have proven already to either be benchwarmers or unable to get or stay on rosters for better teams.

In particular, she's pieced together an awful midfield. She used two international slots on young kids from an inferior national team. She has an open international slot that they show no signs of using (which they acquired in the Press trade, thinking they had 4 intl slots when they actually had 5). From what I'm hearing, based on the two weeks they've been here the South Africans are not NWSL quality (although some of that may be sour grapes, the bits and pieces I've seen suggest one of them could be useful).

And again some of that comes down to familiarity with the league. She doesn't understand the value of international slots so the notion of bringing in young kids with, what she sees, with good development potential makes sense to her whereas in the framework of NWSL it's a waste.'

Anyway,. from my part, I'm willing to give her a pass on certain things, but when she guts the team and pushes out useful players without making an effort to trade them and get pieces back, then replaces them with inferior talent, hard not to blame her if they are terrible.

MRAD12, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I stop by just to say, that, if I repped both of last posts although they were disagreeing with each other, it's because I like the level of the discussion here, very insightful and respectful at the same time. I haven't got the same knowledge of NWSL in general nor of Houstan Dash in particular, but I am reading with interest. Keep it up, guys! :thumbsup:

DynamoManiac, CoachJon and Airox repped this.
  21. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DynamoManiac, I think we're essentially saying the same thing?

Quantity wise Pauw has made a lot of changes. In terms of sheer numbers, it's hard to say a whole lot. It could be because the old team was bad, it could be because the new coach just wants "their" players, or many other reasons. So I feel that I can't make a determination based on "quantity".

But then there's the level of players that you referred to as well as the odd managing (international slots, etc.). It's these types of decisions that make me think that Pauw will either need to show up big or go home.

Question, if Houston ends the season with 1 win, 8 losses, and 15 draws (or similar), would Pauw get another year?

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And the rep button is fun to press?

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, actually I know I am a little trigger-happy with the "rep" button. Let's say I make up for those who never press it. :giggle:

Gilmoy repped this.
  24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    For me it is less about record and more about Pauw showing she can build a team and coach effectively. If at the end of the year most of the players she added need to be replaced u have to seriously question whether she can do it at all. With Waldrum one of the problems was he couldn't get past his opinion of players based on how they played in college. Im concerned Pauw is given way too much weight to how these players performed in lesser leagues thinking it will translate.

25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    For me I think Pauw is a better coach than Waldrum. Waldrum failed at two areas: Building the team as well as coaching. It's one think to look at past Houston teams and say well if only they had better players then the coach's vision will be realized. But that wasn't the case with him. And quite frankly in the last 2 seasons Houston had a team that should have made the playoffs in both years.

I think if Pauw can show that she's good at getting the best out of the players she have then maybe Houston should hire a GM who have the final say in acquiring players. This will be similar to what WNY Flash did when they started rebuilding their team.

Myrtle repped this.