Dash 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by kernel_thai, Nov 22, 2015.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Apparently she had a good offer in Europe last year but didn take it.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

3. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I'm not sure what Dash can offer, but Spirit has two good CBs sitting on the bench: Oyster and Zadorsky and they might be willing to trade one of them.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If Krieger were thinking of retiring after the season I could maybe see Chapman for Zadorsky. The other possibility would be assuming Andressa stays in Houston might be Brooks for Oyster.

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    upload_2016-9-25_12-8-38.png

Daly with the hops.

CoachJon repped this.
  6. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I'm very doubtful that Krieger will retire soon. She said multiple times that's not something she's planning right now. I don't think they need Brooks either. Maybe 2018 draft picks [emoji1]

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not sure ur allowed to ruin ur 2018 draft until the season is over. :)

8. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    If Waldrum is back, I am out.

warh2os repped this.
  9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My guess is they begin the season with Waldrum and if they get off to their typical start they replace him.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dash fans, Waldrum is a good coach but he has to have stability AND control. He needs to know if his players will be there week by week. I also think the Dash just have to do a little tweaking and they will be in the play-offs.

As a Notre Dame fan I wasn't that enamored with him at the beginning of his tenure at ND when he took over from Chris Petrucelli in 1999 although he did make the NCAA Final in his first year against North Carolina. I didn't think he was as good a coach as Petrucelli. But as the years went bye, he built a rhythm and his recruiting was off the hook. He was able to compete with Anson Dorrance for some of the best players in the country, and I became a Waldrum fan.

Randy Waldrum ended up winning many Big East Championships and 2 NCAA Championships as Head Coach of Notre Dame. And if it wasn't for North Carolina in the nineties, ND would have won many more NCAA Championships.

Give Waldrum some time and he will build a steady top team in NWSL in Houston.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    On one hand, I think that you probably should have your stability and such settled by the time you hit your third year in charge. And I have to say, if you're leading by 2 at any time in the second half of a game, you should win. Houston's had two massive blown tires in just the second half of this season.

On the other hand, there are far more signs of progress this season than previously. I think Houston finally got an excellent international (incl. Canadian) contingent this year, and both Ohai and Lloyd proved they can produce, although both did so too late in the season to make enough of a difference. Clearly, what killed this team was the ridiculous six-game stretch of 0-1 losses. You can argue that the Dash weren't disciplined enough (over the entire season) to deserve more than their record, but I think many of those 0-1's could and should have been wins if the Dash players just learned how to finish their chances. I mean, a six-game losing streak for an undisciplined team may be reasonable, but when you lose all of them by the exact same slimmest of margins, I think that's just insanely bad luck.

Blown tires aside, 2016 was a tale of two seasons for the Dash. If the second-half Dash show up at the beginning of next season and stick through the entire year, I'd be perfectly fine with Waldrum and most/all players staying. However, I agree that if the Dash get off to a slow start in 2017, probably time for a coaching change then. While I think Waldrum should stay for now, I also think that the Dash organization had better have someone on speed dial.

12. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I'm not thrilled about this decision either, but I'll probably support them anyway. But as we already heard from DynamoManiac, if he stays, he stays for the whole season. Apparently they don't like to fire coaches mid-season.

13. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    The best draft ever is already lost and I really hope they won't be able to draft Sullivan in 2018 due to high position in the standings (not to mention possible expansion).

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Post match...really got to appreciate how straight forward Ohai is.

CoachJon repped this.
  15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She sounds like a coach already :eek::thumbsup:

We Cougs feel her fruitless-corner-kicks pain :oops:

Now I wonder what Waldrum sounds like when he's giving coach-speak soundbites.

CoachJon repped this.
  16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Following a few links, it sounds like the Women's AFL will be a two-or-three-month league, February to April. So, in theory, Brush could come back to the States in time for NWSL, but it'd be a tight fit. She'd also now have two salaries back in Australia, so there's probably less incentive to come back to Houston, especially if soccer is just her second sports love.

18. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Dash would need to want to resign her since her 2 year just ended. Not sure they will if they think they can get an upgrade with that international spot. Defense is still something they need to work on.
    I actually liked the Brush and Privett pairing. I'm not sold on Roccaro yet.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    First it would be nice to have some assurances that teams will control four INT spots going forward. It seems to me that this was up in the air until late in the game last season. Not sure there is a practical way to go back to three the way these spots r traded around.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Biggest factor would be playing nearly 12 months a year between the three leagues

21. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    That whole back line was just so-so. No one was terrible, yet none was good or great.

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    She's not coming back

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Houston should to move heaven & earth to get Romero back. I still that, of all Houston's roster moves, was the most idiotic. Just gotta wait until her rights with Seattle expire... I'm sure Houston can offer her more now as an international free agent (yes I know there technically are no such things in NWSL) than whatever the FMF gave her as an allocated player.

24. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Sure you know Romero doesn't require an international spot since she's American. Not a particularly likely move, though, with Poliana at right back. The big need remains CB where they are far from a solution still. Brush won't be back, Roccaro has been unimpressive so far and Privett is raw.

From intl spot standpoint, rumor is NWSL is dropping back down to 3 intl spots per team next season, which would leave Dash with 4 (acquired a permanent spot from FCKC). O'Sullivan, Poliana and Daly hold down three of those. If Andressa comes back, she'd have the 4th.

25. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I pray Andressa comes back. I guess the question there is, if she doesn't, do they go after another Brazilian? It seems like the idea is to always pair them due in large part to the very little English they can speak.