Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    I wouldn’t stop calling up all the old guys. I’d still keep around Kroos and Reus. Even Neuer, Ozil , Muller, Boateng and Hummels depending on attitude and form. However we should try and integrate guys like Sane, Gnabry, Havertz, Geiger and Max before euro 2020.

Minttunator, nekkibasara and Ger90 repped this.
  2. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Klinsmann and Hannes Wolf as assistant will be interesting combo

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It's more about who is available. Every German top coach that has made a name for himself the last years is not available. I'd rather take a non-German with knowledge of German football than someone with no record or who is of lower quality.
    Hasenhüttl should be available. Not a long record in Germany but at least Leipzig looked like a team with a system which I couldn't say about most Dortmund games.
    If Löw retires and they find no top candidate, they might also just promote the U21 staff out of desperation.

Berchtesgaden repped this.
  4. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klinsmann and Hannes Wolf?

Or Wenger and Hannes Wolf?

Will be interesting

5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hassenhuttl is a crap coach, who leaving RB was long overdue. The lack of great options is why I could see Low being convinced for another 2 years. By then more options will have opened up.

I also want Italy back in the game for real. Still want our rivalry to continue and for a shot to beat you guys without PKs. Still think this WC is weird without Italy.

although it's interesting that when Italy wasn't at the WC, we bombed, lol.

6. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My 2 cents

Process not outcome should be the focus

DFB - first needs to professionally part ways from Jogi if that’s the route they want to go down. Second come up with the group responsible for hiring our next manager - eliminating all other input and running the search in secret as much as possible

This group needs to come up with their list of must have and desired qualifications for our next coach. Only then should they begin filtering it down. I would not eliminate any candidate based on age,nationality or preconceived notion of availability. Develop the list of top candidates and make great offers and see what happens.

7. OOOOhhhh, bitte, bitte bitte ....macht's , wäre wunderbar:devilish:

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    does anyone really think the dfb will actually hire a foreign coach?

look our more recent coaches,
    -Beckenbauer, from 1986-1990, no experience, 1st coaching job
    -Berti Vogts, from 1990-1998, only experience was coaching the German U21 for a decade and then was Beckenbauer's assistant for 4 years.
    -Erich Ribbeck, from 1998-2000, more experienced and won a UEFA Cup but bombed as NT coach, in both CC99 and EC00.
    -Rudi Voller from 2000-2004, basically an empty resume
    -Jurgen Klinsmann from 2004-2006, another empty resume
    -Joachim Low from 2006-present, had more experienced but also nothing noteworthy. Including being assistant for 2 years.

look at the list,
    Vogts and Low were ex NT assistants. Beckenbauer, Voller and Klinsmann had empty resumes.

Our history is filled with assistant coaches becoming coaches. Which also includes Derwall, Schon, and Herberger all NT assistants before being full time senior coaches.

of course I don't expect Sorg or Schneider to get the job. But just shows that we overall have went with guys who aren't the best club coaches and also ones with no experience.

and I'm sure someone will say that we should go for better options. That's not for us to decide on what the dfb will end up doing if they hire someone new.

Minttunator repped this.
  9. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Member

May 21, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
  10. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nobody has mentioned - how about Hansi Flick ?

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #136 Ger90, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    imagine the irony if Germany hires Hassenhuttl to coach Germany while Austria's current coach is German, lol. Even more reason why it shouldn't happen. Besides him being a terrible coach. He also turned down Bayern because he wasn't ready to coach a big club....but will be ready to coach Germany, yeah unlikely. Same for the Wenger suggestions, the guy has been irrelevant for ages.

not mentioned here but sites have mentioned him as a possibility. Supposedly he wants to go into coaching again.

Sammer is being mentioned at ton by the press. People here mentioned Felix Magath, Hannes Wolf, Klinsmann

other options who are currently open or mentioned by the press
    -Mirko Slomka
    -Markus Weinzierl
    -Stefan Kuntz, our U21 coach who won last year
    -Ottmar Hitzfeld, if he can be convinced
    -Miroslav Klose (mentioned by the press although he's Bayern U17's new coach)

guys who might not be hard to get from China, lol.
    Bernd Schuster, Roger Schmidt

not saying any of these are my choice, just bringing up names. Besides plenty of others could be drawn from their clubs easily or some guys have only been out of the job between recently to 2 years.

I think guys who are unlikely to take the job for now are these guys
    -Jupp. Klopp, Nagelsmann, Tuchel, and Tedesco.

Minttunator and dips82 repped this.
  12. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I actually rated Hasenhüttl but my opinion may be affected by the shitshow I had to witness this season at Dortmund. After the incompetent Bosz with the high backline getting overrun while the FBs are somewhere in Lala land, seeing Germany at this WC gave me PTSD.

Anyways, it seems we'll have to wait till next week for Löw's decision.

Ger90 repped this.
  13. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    OK, everyone here is against hiring a foreign coach yet you guys want Roger Schmidt? You do know he's Austrian, right?

Anyway, moving forward I think one of the few veteran players that should stick around at least until the next Euro is Marco Reus, as he's clearly still hungry having been deprived of the many trophies his contemporaries have enjoyed over the past five years, plus he seems to gel pretty well with the younger players. I say Euro 2020 will be his last shot at silverware with the NT, if he's still around for 2022 I'll be genuinely surprised but hey, a 36-year-old Klose still managed to become all-time goalscorer at World Cups and for the NT despite his career winding down.

nekkibasara and Ger90 repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think you are confusing Martin Schmidt who is Swiss with the German Roger Schmidt.

RB bombing in Europe this season was 100% on Hassenhuttl's selections and tactics. Very inept that could be chalked down to inexperience but the man had all of his best players on the bench in crucial games, rotations...... And also 2nd half of the season was a near disaster for the club, barely made Europe.

also, clubs adapted to RB this season while last season they succeeded because it was new thing. And from his attempt at adapting was a failure. One can clearly see why RB lost faith in the guy.

15. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    [​IMG]

16. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do people remember Schimdt's last season at Leverkusen ? His team used to defend like what Germany did this World Cup....

Ger90 repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    people mention Schimdt because his style of play reminds them of Chile 2014 and because he could be available. Who knows maybe he's changed tactics wise.

Thing is if we replace Low, we need a coach for a min of 2 years, maybe even 4. Then we can go for the better options.

I think the most important thing is the integration of young players and new players. I have no expectations for the next tournament, EC2020. Usually teams in the rebuild/transition phase don't win their 1st tournament. They need more time, of course going as deep as possible is still important, as that's how you gain experience. But integration and experience is more important.

our 2014 winning squad, needed 2010 WC and EC12 before they finally clicked and won a tourney. Sure you can blame Low on EC12 vs Italy but no guarantee we would have beaten Spain in the final had we managed to get past the Italians.

18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    oh Low finally discusses Germany's future!

Joachim Low believes there must be "big changes" in Germany after the nation's shock group-stage exit at the World Cup.

Head coach Low, whose future remains unclear despite signing a new deal until 2022 before the World Cup, said action was needed after Germany's first opening-round exit at the tournament since 1938.

"We've had this situation – when the team was knocked out of the European Championship in 2004 after the group stage," he said.

"After that, there were a lot of changes. Over 14 years we got better and better, we were the most consistent team in the world for the last 10 years and we were world champions.

"But now, with the exit and huge disappointment, we must reflect what the consequences will be and the right steps.

"We need changes, big changes. And about that, we must talk."

Germany never hit top form in Russia and Low, who has been in charge since 2006, said time was needed to pinpoint what went wrong.

"It's too early to say. Of course, we talked about it. But there isn't a single reason or a single thing for why we failed," he said.

"There are more reasons, and it's my responsibility to analyse that. It was also my responsibility to get the team on a high level of football in these four weeks and that didn't work as well.

"Now we need a bit of time and a few conversations and then we will give answers."

20. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well Arsene Wenger js from Elsass and speaks fluent German, so not completely foreign.

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #146 Ger90, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Alsace is still France, still considered a French coach by everyone. Besides he's terrible hasn't been relevant in football for ages and the Arsenal fans got sick of him and wanted him axed for years.

He's not a German coach, never played or coached in his life in Germany. Nor was he developed by Germany.

hiring Wenger, would still pretty much show that we can't produce coaches that we need some hack to take over. Like I posted above the dfb have no qualms about hiring guys with little experience.

and he's almost 70 too.

Here's another reason why we shouldn't go for foreign. This was from 2018
    "recent statistics indicate that there are more registered coaches in Germany (34,970) than in any country bar Spain (England has just 2,769).

so you can't find 1 coach to be our next NT. That's pathetic if Germany can't hire someone. Doesn't include that every year we get new coaches getting licenses, like Klose did and other past players are doing.

Minttunator and saj7866 repped this.
  22. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wenger is certainly a big no no, by the looks of it loew might be plotting another term as the head coach if hes discussing on possibilities of changes in german football, doesn't sound like a guy whose going to walk away!!!

Ger90 repped this.
  23. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree that Germany should be able to find a good German coach, however look at the list of potential candidates that are available right now. None are of a great calibre. And some people are suggesting Hasenhüttl, who is no more German then Wenger but is a much worse coach imo.

Sticking with Löw is not the right option imo, so the DFB needs to either somehow persuade a top coach to leave a good club job, or they need to hire someone experienced for 2 years to either mentor a less experienced assistant such as Klose to eventually take over, or as a safe pair of hands until someone like Klopp, Tuchel or Nagelsmann are available.

A rebuild with a novice coach would be even more difficult to achieve. Ideally Jupp would be the choice, but it appears he wants to retire and enjoy family life. Maybe Hitzfeld, although he hasn't coached for a while now I don't think? Wenger has at least always been good at intergrating young players, and he has some recent success in cup competitions, which is what international football is mainly about.

Ger90 repped this.
  24. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #149 BorisG, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    edited with translater

Some fun facts .... 40 - Every forty years Germany plays terrible world championships: in 1938 the first round off against Switzerland, in 1978 the disgrace of Cordoba against Austria and now in 2018 the first round preliminaries K.o. at a World Cup!
    68 - Germany scored in the three group matches, the goal went 2, so only 3% of the German goal shots! Denmark only scored 25 goals, but on! 8
    80 - Flanken hit Germany in the group stage, which was at least twice as many with every other team! England beat only 11 flanks in the first two group games, Kimmich alone 31! no goals of the 80 German flanks!
    1966 - England finished last time at the home World Cup 1966 better than Germany - that will be the case again in 2018!

Alex C and Ger90 repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    naw, even youth integration Wenger has bombed at. Look at how he wasted Gnabry and a few other players. And from what I see no one in England cares about the Cup competitions. Wenger is the only guy who prioritizes that because he knows he's not winning anything else.

Rebuilds and transitions with novices has already been done with Klinsmann and Low. And our current coach even if not a great tactician still knows how to do it.

Wenger is no different than Low both are tactically inept coaches. You don't think it's coincidence that Arsenal has wanted for awhile to hire Low to replace Wenger.....

Been saying for over a year in the German youth threads that our dfb needs reforms for all the levels. And we need to improve numerous other facets of our system and game. That if we didn't them do we risk being left behind by other countries. Outside of KHR no one else agreed.

now Low and others see the need to make big changes. Shows you by his words that winning the WC, CC and U21 has made Germany believe everything is fine when it wasn't at all. The results following the CC win are nothing great at all.