Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    And at the end of the day, German defenders defended well enough to get Germany out of the group stage had the attack worked better and if they’d been more clinical

Alex C, Ger90 and rantanplan repped this.
  2. rantanplan

rantanplan Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Berlin
    Id like to see us play football again like in 2010. Remember? When we were the counterattacking side scoring 2 to 4 goals a game and Löw then decided we are now Spain but with less talent? We got quick players. We got decent CB and a decent MF.

Alex C and Ger90 repped this.
  3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can’t just decide to play counter attack football. We need to have a balanced gameplan.

saj7866 and Ger90 repped this.
  4. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    And the thoughts spinning around your head when someone’s countering you are extreme in the heat of the moment
    2vs2 is hard enough
    2vs3 is a hell

Never experienced a 2v4 situation unless it’s extra time, and you’re losing therefore sending everyone forward
    And considering that this has happened so many times during the games says something about Germany’s formation out there

nekkibasara repped this.
  5. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The problem for Germany is that you don't really have any "superstar" level players right now, and that showed at WC 2016. You've got a lot of semi-stars (like Ozil, Muller, Kroos, etc.), but nobody at the Messi/Ronaldo level.

This was a tournament where Germany needed a ruthless striker like Klinsmann or Klose to put the ball in the back of the net, but instead they had two average strikers (Gomez & Werner) and a lot of good, but not great, attacking mids (like Muller).

6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    But you don’t need a superstar
    And is one of the reasons why I like Germany is due to their neglection of relying on one/two players

If Germany wants to play counter attacking football then you have Werner.... anyway Werner positively surprised me when playing against deep lying defenses
    Not as half bad as I thought

7. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Superstar players are not needed to win a WC. We didn’t have any super stars in 2014. Spain had none in 2010. Etc.

Rosebud repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #83 Ger90, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    that's because it's all about team.

Werner is still a kid, nowhere near hitting his prime. The issue was the whole attack provided nothing. Nor is Gomez average striker.

if the next Messi or Ronaldo is German, expect German domination.:p

Rosebud and nekkibasara repped this.
  9. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    True. But we should ditch the slow build up/possession for possession's sake approach though, quicker passing, better pressing, more dynamism, more pace. If that means slightly less possession so be it.

For quite a while now the team has been too one paced and easy to defend against. Need to be less predictable, and have players prepared to take more risks.

Ger90 and nekkibasara repped this.
  10. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Germany had a Ronaldo or Messi it wouldn’t even be fair to play with 11.

Rosebud and Ger90 repped this.
  11. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don’t think its necessarily possession for the sake of possession. Its that our coaching staff never really understood how to implement a possession system properly.

Peps teams always had at least 2 or 3 players for example who would take players on 1v1. You need that element in a possession system backed up by proactive pressing to retain the ball and keep the pressure on.

Rosebud and Ger90 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    people are mistaken if they think Werner is only counter striker. Last season when he scored 21 goals, only 7 were counter the rest were not. And tons of his goals for NT, and RB this season were not counters.

it's just that he's good at counters because of his speed but he's more than that.

Rosebud and nekkibasara repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    with Messi and Ronaldo fast approaching their ends, everyone on the planet wants to find the next Messi or Ronaldo.

and imagine we had a good coach, who knows what he's doing having such a player. Even if not fair winning/dominating would be easier.

although as of now I don't think we have such players, although could be wrong and I don' really follow much the levels below U17 in the German League. Players at the level of Salah or Neymar seem more feasible if dev goes right, who are both below Messi/Ronaldo.

Minttunator repped this.
  14. GermanJacket

GermanJacket Member

Arsenal
    Germany
    Mar 2, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is my fave away kit. I vote black for away shirt!

Minttunator repped this.
  15. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've seen a lot of coaches named here and I have one question: why does anyone think a successful club coach would take an NT job. It seems to me you get only second tier coaches doing this - any coach currently successful in the club environment are usually looking for a greater challenge or glory, not an NT job.

Just my thought, please prove me wrong and that we can get the best available coach for the NT.

Rosebud repped this.
  16. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unfortunately it's hard to convince opponents to play that naively against us any more :-(

Preach!

nekkibasara repped this.
  17. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What if Khedira or Draxler was one of the other 11?

nekkibasara repped this.
  18. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #93 Rosebud, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Imagine if we had gotten Tuchel to take the job after his spat with Watzke & co...we could've let one of Messi or Ronaldo join the other's team and still walked them.

People underestimate just how bad Jogi is because of just how much talent, "german work ethic", and good fortune he has had.

Alex C, nekkibasara and Ger90 repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    because of the personal desire to win the WC, some of these coaches are also ex players. I recall even Pep last year said that he wants to coach Spain NT one day. Although recently said he doesn't think he'll be offered the job, maybe because of politics?

Deschamps has tipped Zidane recently of becoming France's next coach. Low also tipped Nagelsmann for the job in the future.

also in 2014, this is what Klopp has said about the NT job.
    Klopp admits that the position of Germany boss was a "very attractive proposition".

He then added: "If they were enthusiastic about me taking on the national team at some point I’d obviously think it over, although quite a lot of things would have to come together for that to happen."

lol, some Liverpool fans online are afraid that dfb will approach Klopp.

20. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Jupp might do it if he's not ready to retire completely but doesn't want to deal with the club-coach schedule even as a caretaker anymore...though I don't think it's likely at all even if Hoeneß & the bayern guys asked him to do it & manipulated his Obi-Wan-Kenobi-impulses.

And I think that after Klopp leaves Liverpool...whenever that is...the NT will be the next challenge he'd want just because of what a hipster he is. He doesn't speak spanish and has said multiple times that he doesn't want to learn any more new languages or coach in La Liga; so I don't think he'll want Barca or Real; while he has expressed interest in coaching the NT "some day". Running down the list I don't see PSG being an interesting challenge for him, nor can I see him ever coaching Bayern.

So whenever his Liverpool days end, what other next-job makes sense for him?...other than Union Berlin, obviously...

nekkibasara and Ger90 repped this.
  21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the one thing I hate to see is when some in the media or sites call some of our players the "German Messi".

like Marko Marin, lmao. Now in terms of recent players some call Kuhn the "German Messi", lol.

Rosebud repped this.
  22. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats like saying someone is an overrated premadonna.

Minttunator and Ger90 repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    pretty much what we are lacking. It's why Sane, Gnabry, Brandt would have been very useful. Major lacking in our team is dribblers in the XI.

Gnabry injured, Sane left out and Brandt was nothing but a bench option.

24. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Its seems to me that it was obvious to start him in game 3. Oh well.

Ger90 repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was kind of expecting Low will start him tbh, only to remember later that we are talking about Low.

instead of Goretzka at RW, Brandt should have started there....

Alex C repped this.