Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I think the mentality of a team when enters a tournament is to win it, therefore Germany are no different

2. And Italy will be out Var'ed from winning ever again:p

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed

But luck is a huge role - see Belgium and Brazil who exited despite not really making any obvious errors

In both cases suspensions basically saw them crash out

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    NZ won the first Rugby World Cup in 1987 when I was at high school

I never dreamed we would have to wait 24 years to win again

The fall gamut of disasters, limp exits and tragedies

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rummenigge with a full onslaught on DFB calling them "interspersed with amateurs"

nekkibasara repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Lahm although a great player really does seem like a backstabber. 1st you had his Ballack row and now with Low.

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mull quits the NT after 23 years

8. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Criticism where criticism is due is not backstabbing.

Either Low recognized the issues with the NT and wasn't capable of resolving it or he didn't recognize it until it was too late. Either way it's his responsibility, in other words he f*cked up and deserves everything he can get.

And I don't think the DFB escapes any either - I suspect there was a bit of hubris there and now the entire organization should be reviewed.

saj7866 repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what he did to Ballack was and even ex players have been criticizing Lahm's attitude. That he should have discussed it in private with Low. Can't say I disagree. Lahm is a good player but question marks over his attitude over the years.

besides we don't know what Low will do nor what result analyzing of the WC will have for the future of the NT.

Low has already said that Germany needs massive changes and based on reports a lot of things will change and a rebuild will happen.

no point in keep bashing the guy when we don't know what he'll do.

10. What does that mean?
    German football did make a big change about a decade ago, so much that the hatred from Dutch fans towards German football evaporated, because we enjoyed the way Germany played. That change went hand in hand with a generation players that were tooled for that frivolous way of play.
    I think it's better to analyze first why things went wrong in Russia, before tossing out of the window what worked well, even with the new generation in the confederation cup.

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the interview Bierhoff also announced changes. "People always look very closely at the national team, and that's a good thing, because it also shows the bond and identification, I know we've lost credit," said the 50-year-old, "we'll face up to change We will do everything we can to ensure that the team presents itself properly and wows with good football.

Joachim Low believes there must be "big changes" in Germany after the nation's shock group-stage exit at the World Cup.

Head coach Low, whose future remains unclear despite signing a new deal until 2022 before the World Cup, said action was needed after Germany's first opening-round exit at the tournament since 1938.

"We've had this situation – when the team was knocked out of the European Championship in 2004 after the group stage," he said.

"After that, there were a lot of changes. Over 14 years we got better and better, we were the most consistent team in the world for the last 10 years and we were world champions.

"But now, with the exit and huge disappointment, we must reflect what the consequences will be and the right steps.

"We need changes, big changes. And about that, we must talk."

Germany never hit top form in Russia and Low, who has been in charge since 2006, said time was needed to pinpoint what went wrong.

"It's too early to say. Of course, we talked about it. But there isn't a single reason or a single thing for why we failed," he said.

"There are more reasons, and it's my responsibility to analyse that. It was also my responsibility to get the team on a high level of football in these four weeks and that didn't work as well.

"Now we need a bit of time and a few conversations and then we will give answers."

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not high on Low and he should have been fired. But we can't change that and he isn't going anywhere and it's better to have a wait and see approach.

he is under pressure and our next game is vs the current WC champs, France.

meanwhile Pep tips Sane.
    Pep Guardiola has backed the player to continue improving and look to the future.

‘Leroy has to accept that this decision may make him stronger,’ Guardiola explained.

‘He’s so young and in two years it is another European Championships and then in four years another World Cup.

‘I think it’s the past now. The national trainer decided what’s the best for the national team.

‘Leroy has to accept it and move forward. He has the chance to show the national team from Germany and first of all us, he has another season to show his quality.

He has to improve his game, try to keep the levels he showed last season. We are so happy to have him here.

14. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The EURO 2020 team needs to be built around optimizing Sanè and Kroos for me.

15. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rummenigge: "The DFB is really only full of amateurs.”

"I am not convinced that there are the right approaches in place to deal with crisis, but it does not surprise me either."

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Changes arent big at all when the whole lot of DFB leaders + Löw & Bierhoff stay in office. They can cut half the squad and reinvent the youth development it doesnt help when the dinosaurs stay in office not understanding todays football world.

nekkibasara repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    SZ confirms that Bayern's bad end to the season was a big factor in how badly the Bayern core performed

Also the lack of key squad members who could integrate the team

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Die beiden Abwehrchefs, Hummels und Boateng, sollen sich sogar herzlich abgeneigt sein.

Holy moly

19. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Traslantion please

20. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The two defensive leaders, Hummels and Boateng, have reflected on themselves warmly. Aka no self criticism. Do I have that right @White/Blue_since1860?

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They're close to marrying each other

nekkibasara repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's interesting the extent to which these indepth articles are highlighting massive problems in terms of squad selection and culture - far beyond Ozilgate

In terms of what to do about it, it is clear the core of the squad is too old - but also many of them are still elite players so the headache is which players to kick out and which to retain. They can't all play at once but it would be stupid to get rid of all of them

It seems clear Khedira is finished and they burnt down the relationship with Ozil. Gomez is done.

Will anyone else go?

23. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44886845

Chatzialexiou, director of sports at the German Football Association (DFB), said: "Things currently seem better from the outside than we consider them to be ourselves.

"There has been a new development recently across Europe where young foreign players of between 16 and 18 years are brought in cheaply and developed, before ultimately being sold on for a profit.

"We are critical of that approach in Germany, as talented young foreign players are getting game time at a crucial stage in the players' development, while the German players sit on the bench.

"There are other European countries who are doing a better job with their younger age groups. Our job is to put this right in the not too distant future."

24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm of the opinion that the next great German team is going to be built around optimizing Sanè, which means more direct wing-play, more dribbling, more emphasis on quick transition play, and more willingness to take chances with the ball. It feels like Müller is a player I'd have on the outside looking in. I'd be looking for another more direct winger type like Brandt, Phillipp, or Gnabry to pair with Sanè.

saj7866 repped this.