Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I mean, it's basically the first time I've ever seen a German backline where it's so obvious that they lack technical abilities with the ball once put under pressure

lamcam, nekkibasara and Ger90 repped this.
  2. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Alot depends on how many matches they've played together to build chemistry, boetang hummels played enormous amount together

Ger90 repped this.
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've seen rudiger alot in Chelsea games where his distribution is good, sari won't have it any other way

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    actually Hummels and Boa didn't play as much together. Hummels was not part of the 2010 WC.
    then in 2012 Euro, Hummels was CB but Boa was RB. They actually won their 1st tournament together as cb pair at the WC.

Hummels later in 2016 moved to Bayern and they continued to play together.

Chelsea won't make any CL for awhile so 27 year old Rudiger won't play at the highest level for awhile while Boa/Hummels played year after year in CL whether Bayern or Dortmund.

Raumdeuter repped this.
  5. You were so lucky Babel played the first half as he was clumsey, lost the ball often and hampered back Dumfries to charge up the line as Babel's ball losses immediately caused danger when Dumfries was high up. Koeman should have swapped Babel the moment we were 0-2 down. Alas he waited till the second half.

6. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sule at least has a good first touch and can dribble, but his distribution and vision are poor. I just don't see anything other than physicality in Rudiger. He is not good technically, his passing is very poor, and he is the worst CB I've ever seen in terms of clearing a ball.

Ger90 repped this.
  7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    would not be surprised if Rudiger doesn't last long and with other cbs knocking on the door. Some it really is all about playing at a bigger club than current.

8. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who should be the back 3 then?

Sule/ hummels /ginter/rudiger/tah/

9. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Ginter shouldn't be anywhere near the CB position... :thumbsdown:

10. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Personally I would play Hummels+Sule or Hummels+Sule+Stark depending on the formation.

11. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Loew publicly stated hummels career is over, I can't see how he's going to turn back on his word

12. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rudiger turns 26 this year , born 1993

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    okay and 26 or 27 either way he's not a young cb (not sure that was even worth quoting someone anyways, pretty insignificant thing)

everytime I see him clear the ball, it's like watching a U17 player clear the ball or a player from some low level team that gets constantly bombarded and doesn't deal with the pressure, so randomly quicks away. It's like 1st impulse.

nekkibasara repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rudiger already 26 is nowhere near Boa or Hummels when they were 26, in fact even younger Hummels/Boa are better than current Rudiger tbh.

15. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    He came from Stuttgart ranks. You know there is a certain NT coach of big european country, whose preference of players being called up to NT based on region of the club the player was playing rather than potential and performance. I cannot recall the coach name, something like Joaquin Poo ...

nekkibasara repped this.
  16. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not everyone has to be the same

26 is still young for a CB

Hummels n Boateng broke out early but regress at 28/29 due to overplayed n injuries

Usually CBs prime age should be 27-32

dips82 and saj7866 repped this.
  17. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rudiger actually had a 92% pass accuracy v Holland, and completed the 4th most passes in the team. Sure he isn't a stylish player, but he isn't terrible either. Until players like Stark, Kempf and Torunarigha gain more experience I think using him alongside Sule will be ok.

Hummels won't come back under Low. Once you've been blacklisted that's it lol. Imo it was a poor decision, but that's no surprise, Low is good at making bad decisions.

Dage, saj7866 and Karl-Heinz Riedle repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - because he has mismanaged the transition Germany are too late bringing the new talent thru and a bit too quick on the ejector set on the older guys

With players playing longer, some of the 30 somethings should have been able to offer a bit more to blend the transition

Instead Loew's first cull was ineffective and now he had to have a second purge

Upshot is in central defence, Germany no longer has the elite talent it used to be able to rely on

My guess is Hummels and Mueller were ousted for political reasons. Boateng thoroughly deserved to be dropped. But its hard to see why the other two might not make the squad.

19. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

20. Blueberry_night

Blueberry_night Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hummels can be a bit of dick. However he is also possess quality of candor, toward his own self as well. Okay, put aside Hummels, now Muller is completely suprising. He looks super nice, down to earth and friendly. Can't believe this kind of player searching for trouble with the NT coach.

21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    passing for defensive players is mostly just back to GK and guy next to you. He'll be 27 at the Euro and eh is my feeling towards him.

nekkibasara repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    defensively that Dutch game was bad, when Germany parks the bus for 45 min and when we play 7 defensive players yet we still concede 2 goals and could very easily have been much more. That's not good at all even more so since Germany was parking the bus like some minnow.

nekkibasara repped this.
  23. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Parking the bus is a strategy of the game specially when you are up by 2 goals against a strong opposition and want to play in counters

24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the Dutch is not that strong they are also in a rebuild mode.

parking the bus when the game is almost over sure, for half the game on the other hand......

and we had 7 defensive players to boot too.

25. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Both Tah and Ginter are good with the ball but not at Hummels’s level