Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think the defence needs time to improve, new players, a new system and not much midfield protection. But at least all the defenders have good pace and athleticism, meaning it won't be easy for teams to counter, unlike at the WC. I am happy we have found a good replacement for Hector, Schulz looks good already and Halstenberg is a solid back up.

Agree about lack of CL minutes but there are literally no available German CB's playing for CL teams other then Sule. Which is a shame. I feel Sule is our best CB, best distribution, physical monster and pretty quick.

Rudiger doesn't always play in the EL because Chelsea rotates players in that competition. When they play big matches he is always selected. At least playing in the EPL means coming up against some of the top attackers in Europe. 4 of the last 8 in the CL are in that league.

I think overall we have some good CB's, and with potentially some very good ones coming through in Stark, Kempf and Torunarigha. Plus Tah if he can improve his consistency. Lots of options.

2. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe loew thinks that by playing lahm in that position years ago same will apply to kimmich, may be he doesn't figure the facts lahm had peak players around him

Ger90 repped this.
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    100% agree

4. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So what does Goretzka lack compared to let say A typical “striker”, like Petersen or Selke ?

I don’t think it’s the position that matters but the attributes a player can offer

5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    good post, you are right about what they offer and they are still gelling together, will take time.

that's one reason why guys like Stark want to play in bigger club than Hertha in order to play in Europe, develop further and improve your NT chances.

some other cbs from U21 for example need to leave their clubs in Summer otherwise they will end up in 2BL.

Lahm like Kimmich wasn't even that great in DM and who thought it was good to put him in DM vs African countries.....Only when he went back to RB that it clicked perfectly.

Alex C repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Lahm was also playing CM for Pep

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The experience of playing 9?

I think it is going to be difficult to convert a midfielder at international level. I agree it can work at club level which germany would then benefit from.

Havertz seems a better bet based on how his club is using him

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thing about Goretzka being a hybrid player we have to remember that Reus was not fit. Low pretty much said he would have started him had he been. 2 sub appearances from Reus 2 assists in this International Break. Tying goal in Game 1 and winning goal in Game 2.

the swing shifts to Reus's favor.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Need more practice together that trio

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Although I don't rate Reus as a false 9, he does bring a lot of stuff that no other player has. e.g he can genuinely play as a 10 or AM and he has that all important shot volume.

Ger90 repped this.
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and he's world class too, he's not young, we should use him as much as possible before it's too late. Dortmund always looks much better with him than without.

same with Gundo, these are aging players better used them now before it's too late or before they start downtrending.

12. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was not a fan of the 3cb lineup in the CC, and I am still not a fan of it now. It just doesn't work with the personnel that we have available. Our CBs are not good in build up play, and any time an opponent presses we completely lose control of the match. You saw it against Chile in the CC, and again tonight in the second half.

It is especially bad when you are playing a 4th CB as RWB and that essentially makes the entire right side of the team a non-factor offensively. I would advocate playing either a 433, or if we must use the 352, then play Kimmich as RWB so that we have some offensive presence on the wing. With a 3 CB lineup we should not need a dedicated defensive midfielder. A trio of versatile, technical and quick midfielders would be more effective at keeping the ball away from the back line and alleviating pressure.

With the players that Loew is calling up:

--------------------Neuer---------------------
    ----------Stark----Sule------Rudiger-----
    Kimmich----Gungogan---Kroos---Schulz
    -------------------Havertz-----------------------
    -------------Gnabry----Sane------------------

Reus, Brandt, and Goretzka can play super subs.

Lewisfromuk, dips82, Ger90 and 1 other person repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If Germany is going to play 3 at the back it would have made sense to keep Hummels who is still very good in build up

I agree about Kimmich. Unless he plays 6 for Bayern, this is stupid

Ger90 repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    ?

15. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Regarding hummels I completely agree, his ball distribution is high quality, may be loew closed the door on hummels because of internal issues

16. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes, he's the one doing it for Bayern

And as I pointed out, the build-up play from Rüdiger, Süle and Ginter was close to non-existent yesterday, not surprisingly :whistling:

Lewisfromuk, Ger90 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do like the point of a DM seems moot when playing with 3 CBs. Having a CM instead seems like it could make us less overrun when 7/11 players are defensive ones instead make it 6/11.

and yeah no Ginter/Kehrer in XI.

another point is the clearances from those defensive players was really bad.

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's all not forget this incredible legend saved his ass last night

[​IMG]

19. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can't see loew backstepping and bringing hummels back even though we all want him to, his poor man management left a bitter taste amongst dropped players

20. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Weve already got 300 midfielders and I see Kimmich staying in midfield against good opponents

22. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's trolling me because he got banned from another forum.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  23. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Having CBs that are good with the ball and strong passers also makes the DM position redundant. If we had a young Hummels, one of the CBs could step into the midfield to create an overload for example.

Ger90 repped this.
  24. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    This is probably true lol, but Löw's anyway lost his credibility for me

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's a shame because none of the guys who played yesterday are that good with the ball.

I've seen a lot of Rudiger/Sule pairings but I just don't see it as strong as Hummels/Boa and the potential seems lesser too. I mean at the 2014 WC those 2 were 25 years old. Sule turns 24 this year and Rudiger turns 27 this year. Already seem behind based on age. Boa was there since 2010 and Hummels 2012 too.