Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #3851 Karl-Heinz Riedle, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2019
    My thoughts on the striker role,

If u look at Liverpool's Firmino, England's Kane, Werder Bremen's Max Kruse, Ajax's Tadic and Real Madrid's Benzema

Under certain system, they all needed to switch back from CF to midfield in order to invole in build-ups. When our other attackers have the ball in final third, they will make a run inside the box and be the receiver.

It may need a few more games to adapt. But the front three should be mobile and interchanging.

CF can cover "9" and "10"
    both wingers are like inside forwards can cover from wings to "9" or "10"

When Kane drops back, Sancho and Sterling will move inside and become 9;
    Liverpool too, when Firmino drops back, Mane and Salah will move from wingers to a two-striker setup
    Werder Bremen when Kruse moves back, Rasicha and Jojoi Eggestein moves inside and become "9"

Its like playing one extra player in build-ups then u still have a two-striker setup in the middle

<<modsnip trolling of poster deleted>>

We need such tactical update....not just static possession. We need more and more movement up front.

Plastic fans wont be convinced but it takes time. ITs hard to think of a configuration that makes anyone 100% confident these days.

2. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In a fluid system like loew is trying to integrate u need fluid and versatile personnel I agree, but the movement of players and interchanging can also become predictable sometimes and this is @germ90 is rightly eluding to we need a proper centerforward so the play then can be fully varied, dutch early second half fully pressed and even when nuer tried going long it was coming straight back as both sane ganebry are not good in the air, Kane gives England all the options, we need a proper centerforward accompanied by sane ganebry eitherside

Ger90 and Alex C repped this.
  3. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also kroos needs a proper holding dm midfielder alongside him who can give aggression and physicality as kimmich doesn't offer that

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is always a chicken and egg problem

Kane's fantastic movement is a large part of what makes him an elite 9

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It takes years to learn the CM role.

Remember when Kroos first moved back into central midfield proper, he was all over the shop positionally.

Kimmich might just about excel in the position in the next couple of years but I find it unlikely if he doesn't play club football there

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yep - not to be underestimated

7. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Did Holland use a centre forward yesterday.

Can kimmich take the role of Kehrer and Goretzka take kimmich midfield role

saj7866 repped this.
  8. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When Holland beat us 3-0 did they play a CF? It was Depay

How about Tadic, Max Kruse, Stindl, Firmino? How did they play?

Kane n Benzema always drop back to “10” for duels n build up. When they get inside the box , yes they provide aerial threat too but. I don’t see that as a concern for Goretzka.

Key is how to use the tight space when we are playing against teams which parked their buses

Even a CF, can he dominate against Van Dijk and co? Key is the combination play n 1v1 ability . Goretzka has decent size j aerial ability

9. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Key is variety in the play, once we have that then that will enable us to rectify all problems facing us

10. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's one of the issues kimmich faces, he actually doesn't play in that position for bayern, I prefer kimmich playing riggtwing back anyway instead of kherer

Alex C, Ger90 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Also do u not think with Kane he gives England different patterns of play and variety

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - like a van Persie he can play as 10 or 9

But we can't really just demand a player have elite movement like Kane - only a tiny % of players can do the things he does

Reus is the closest thing Germany has to such a player but he lacks the toolbox as a genuine 9

13. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What about max kruse

14. Lewisfromuk

Lewisfromuk Member

Bayer Leverkusen
    Germany
    May 15, 2018
    Kimmich didn't badly last night, he was everywhere, the problem with him is he doesn't have good idea going forward when he has the ball, this is where he needs to improve, I think he has the aggression potential, someone like Can is physically big, but Can's coverage in the field is not as big as Kimmich, Kimmich covered a lot of ground last night, he also can come from behind to score, he just need to improve his forward passing skills, but hey. nobody is perfect.Chealse's kant that french small player should be his role model, small but cover a lot of ground

15. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Goretzka has good physicality, finishing n aerial ability.

So I don’t think a CF like Petersen or so really brings different things on the table

Why did Liverpool, Napoli, Bacrcelona, Ajax didn’t play with a Cf but making wonder?

Attack is a system, not about a striker

16. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree, a proper CF will provide more options, flexibility and a different threat. Hopefully Selke stays healthy and keeps showing form, I would like to see him get a chance in June. I also like Petersen and Kruse but I doubt Low is gonna call up any players who are 30+. Uth might get another shot if he starts doing better now Tedesco has been fired.

I wanna see Arp get regular minutes in the BL next season too.

saj7866 and Ger90 repped this.
  17. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we can try the Sane, Goretzka, Gnabry trio a few more times.

Goretzka with more consistent finishing, I don’t see what he’s different from a CF

Also an aerial threat n can link up

18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Volland could have been interesting too in yesterday's match, very good CF outside of his height but he has scored headers too. good with his back to goal and linking up with others. And Selke although is tall he can also be very fast player and is very in your face kind too.

yeah Arp needs a 1BL loan next season but that makes him unlikely for Euro 2020, more likely 2022 WC min.

19. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Selke needs to score more goals n be more consistent

Can’t play in tight space , some technical issues

Volland might be better player for now

20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well Volland is 3 years older than Selke that does make a difference. One is one year away from being mid-20 while the other is getting closer to late 20.

21. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Selke despite his size, is more like a counter player

22. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No reason why both shouldn't get a chance imo. Both offer attributes not currently present in the squad. We need several different striker options.

I want to see the Euro 2020 squad containing at least 2 proper CF's.

saj7866 and Ger90 repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    shame that M.Eggestein and Stark didn't even play at all....
    would like to see Stark play in next matches above Ginter.

do think it's interesting that only Schulz and Sule are getting good ratings for yesterday's match.

And Sule although good scores too many OGs and feels like our CBs aren't even playing CL this season outside of Sule. Kehrer has played more RB than CB in CL. Players lacking experience vs the best in Europe and all they play is league. While Rudiger doesn't always play in the inferior EL.

24. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with your points, not denying that at all, I think with a proper centre forward we have the complete variety in attack which is needed, why do u think the current world champions france play with a center forward who can't even score, the point is the attack has more variety and then keeps the opposition from working u out as predictable

25. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I mean, as someone pointed out, what’s the deal with Löw playing his players out of their normal position

Personally I’m not a bit fan of this