Das Martina-Upgrade: Sickle Cut Into Your Defense - Road to WWC 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by Lea_Schueller, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well a player has never a 100% conversion rate and neither does a team
    but yeah the finishing is really poor like Popp and Magull against South Africa... :unsure:

Well look at it on the bright side; if Steffi Jones was still here, Germany would've been dead last in this group for sure lol

2. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Question is if MVT's able to do the things she did so well against France, Sweden and Japan in this World Cup now, because then they really can beat everyone but if not prepare for a really ugly win or the next plane home back to Germany :whistling:

And yes, it's seriously a lot of pretty simple passing mistakes out there every game even when they're not under pressure... :cautious:

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ....:confused: Did you miss the various key moments of pressing from Germany during the 1st half, versus how little they did during the 2nd..?

It's reads like your confusing what their team looks like with a basic shape and game plan, versus what their lethargic/mindless 2nd half accomplished... which was nothing.

I mean, your talking about 2nd half changes that supposedly saw MVT have as many as "5 runners" going at South Africa's defense... ignoring the reason why they had to be more focused on individual play during a second half they played far worse as a team lol.

This seeing Germany go from creating enough clear chances to be leading 5-0 at half time, to them taking part in a unnecessarily equal 2nd half, featuring a more sporadic display they eventually create less, and defend worse.

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol... I think Dallmann should have come into the match as a replacement for Leupolz, so Popp could move back to a CM role; but instead, Dallmann was meant to be playing wide right AM, and yet spent more time in the middle/wide left within MVT's highly undisciplined 2nd half forward line.

And if anybody being honest about Hendrich at this WC, she's probably been one of the worst players in this team, no? For me, struggling to accomplish the basic of tasks expected for a RB at this level (not her fault).

So I can't disagree with MVT forcing Gwinn into another starting role, when Gasper was stupidly ignored from the senior team, with nobody really seeming to have much faith in Maier's ability to perform anymore.

5. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol, I don't even compare anything to Jones time anymore.

But I think some people forget how poor Germany looked under Neid during the Olympic group stages. Struggling to a 2-2 draw against Australia, losing to Canada, looking anxious and defensively exposed versus Zimbabwe...:speechless:

Neid eventually having to revert everything towards being super one dimensional for her team to progress through the knock out stages. I don't think MVT having a winning team, will need to go so far down the same path to find success in this tournament.

6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well Batfink we’ll see today as it’s KO and go big or go home lol

7. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #407 Batfink, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    If Germany's wnt program ever decide to create an actual identity/system again, they would instantly return to being a legitimate monster at the senior international level... but since they haven't, people still get to watch them allow opponents glimpses of hope, where there should really be none.

8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A match that featured more passing related indecisiveness in key areas of the field, it still saw them able to find another win without playing at their full potential; the biggest positive for MVT here, being how this match finally saw the benefits of what happens when Popp play's a more defensive CM role.

This taking place within a team that continues to lack a true conductor to direct the teams otherwise tactically impaired tempo, Popp's presence within a CM role providing a more stable platform for the final 25 mins of a match they could/should have scored more goals.

Oh, and don't think MVT finally learned this own her own either lol, as it was Popp's own willingness to help her team, that saw her take the initiative to move herself deeper in the 2nd half. Helping MVT's flawed CM duo of Däbritz - Magull as it began to struggle.

9. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gwinn was too advanced for most of this match too, not helping anybody as she wasted numerous crossing and shooting chances. Mainly finding herself in positions Nigeria would exploit with the huge spaces behind her, forcing Doorsoun to constantly move over and provide cover.

But if MVT can take anything from this match to help the team improve for the next round, it has to be that she acknowledge the clear positive influence Popp had during her short period as a CM.

Making smart early forward passes, clearing danger in front of her CB's, and placing herself in the correct areas to provide a positive shape to the team. Popp did more positive work in 25 mins than she's done previously all tournament..o_O

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @hotjam2 this more attractive speed of play factor your constantly talking about, is surely also no more than certain teams use of a quicker/more direct ball movement in the mid-field... no?

Because having seen your favorite teams USA, Netherlands, in serious competition, the only factors they seem to have different to Germany, appears to be a set of clearly defined systems that focus on their DM's moving the ball to their wide players as quickly as possible.

With the USA also combining this with their forwards relentlessly trying to apply high intensity pressure to their opponents defenses, in hopes it force players into being technically overwhelmed, and potentially produce individual errors that lead to goal scoring opportunities.

These being factors Germany have produced in the past, and could still add to their own game before this tournament ends.

11. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well this team can go as far as the final but it won’t be pretty lol

I agree with Popp, her presence in the midfield was clearly impacting the game with Leupolz having disappointed me a bit so far, having been pretty anynomous
    I also think that Schüller did a great job on top, allowing some space for Popp

Doorsoun was great, ehmmmm the subs were weird imo with Simon coming for Schweers knowing how speedy the Nigerians are lol and it almost costed them a goal

12. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #412 Batfink, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Because every match seems to have MVT's team choices based on random factors that wouldn't help any team produce a genuinely more cohesive style of play.

But again... she's had another match to see what does and doesn't work, meaning there's still hope they improve and finally take their efficiency and style to the next level.

I genuinely thought this was going to b Leupolz time to step up and become one of the more prominent players within this team... but no lol, she's just looked as confused in her role as someone like Marozsan does on this team.

But seeing Popp and Oberdorf finally playing together as CM's during the 2nd half, makes me wonder if MVT will finally accept her constant experiments with CM playing Däbritz a complete failure, and allow the Popp - Oberdorf to start the next match..?

13. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I actually believe Simon to be the more defensively competent of the two during this match, with Simon's biggest weakness on the day, being more of her mental fragility coming to the surface during the few scenario's she wouldn't make tackles while standing up, preferring to go to ground far too easily in hopes the referee save her from losing aggressive Nigerian 1v1 duels.

But looking at the other players in this match, I feel like MVT made a few more weird decisions in this match, that would only eventually appear to be good thanks to her captain taking responsibility, placing her self into a more defensive role she could finally better effect the flow of the match.

14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So even if I'm not sure how positive her influence will be on this team, it sounds like Marozsan will eventually be returning to the starting 11 come the next round.

But with Oberdorf, Schüller, Bühl, Gwinn, all performing better than the teams more established players, does MVT leave Marozsan on the bench, and start...
    Gwinn - Doorsoun - Hegering - Simon
    ----------- Oberdorf ---- Popp -------------
    Däbritz ---------------------------------- Huth
    ------------- Schüller --- Bühl --------------

This having just witnessed Oberdorf and Popp as CM's, looking far more dynamic and involved within the last 25 mins of the Nigeria match, than any CM combination seen previously.

And knowing Schüller continues her form as Germany's best scorer, finding another goal in open play for a team she's never really been a starter.

MVT has a big decision to make on Popp's future role now, knowing Schüller, Bühl, Oberdorf, Magull, so far all stronger performers than the talented but lethargic Marozsan.

15. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So far Gwinn - Doorsoun - Hegering - Simon, have combined towards MVT's most competent defense.

Oberdorf, Goeßling, Popp, Magull, have provided Germany's best CM performances.

With Huth - Däbritz the only players we've seen remotely positive as wide AM's, within an attack Schüller - Bühl appear the most threatening forwards.

But this is without seeing MVT put any of these combinations together to create a truly flowing team, working within a fluid system all the players understand.

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    got to forgive me but hectic woek schedule & lack of replays has left me out of the loop this week on the WC(even the AZD site didn't show the GE replay this time). So far, this tourney has been about how the HAVES are beating on the HAVES NOT'S(instead of the addage; the world is catching up) as all 4 top ranked teams as well as the Euro champs have won their games)compared to 2015 when all those teams either tied or lost a game in group play)
    Like I've mentioned all ready. Germany will go far, obviously due to their strong infrastructure, but also whether it's due to pay back(over 2015), karma, luck of the draw.... an incredible easy schedule! and it continues as either they face Canada or Sweden, two teams that where very disappointing in their last, group game. Maybe finally in the semis, GE might meet an equal in the Netherlands, but that coach, Wiegmann refuses to make any lineup changes, thus feeling that their players will run out of gas by then(if they make it to the semis).

First 1-2 games I've felt that a lot of the teams out there picked up the tempo/or at least what I call the quick transition game. But you can see things changing by the 3rd game as many slowed down. That was even evidence in the US/Sweden game, where the as usual, Ellis hit them with everything but the kitchen sink.........but it was only for the first 15min. of each half. Otherwise spend the rest of the game mostly, casually passing among themselves as to conserve energy(as Ellis is as notorious as Wiegmann with her stingy lineups)

Like I've mentioned, I'm disappointed that MVT is not using my fav players/most coaches at this WC though, are using it their own personal vanity projects/poor time zone/lack of replays due to the web FIFA police, leaves me feel a bit distant from the WC(just wanting this thing over with) or just can't take partake in conversations if I can't watch these games!

17. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @hotjam2 you didn't really answer my question lol, but I think a lot of your points concerning a few wnt's use of a quicker transition style, isn't far from what I've always said about this particular topic; which is the ball will always move faster than any play can move.

And seeing the way your favorite teams continue to play during a major tournament, the only factors I'm seeing them apply to make them appear faster (if not particularly more effective), is their players being part of more defined/consistent shapes mid-fielders can, and will, continuously hit longer passes towards wide AM's.

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Germany lacking this factor to produce long passes forward, or out wide, as their own CB's aren't really showing any confidence to produce accurate forward passes, while the players who typically enjoy that part of the mid-field game (Leupolz), struggle to bring their club form into MVT's always rotating formation.

Meaning I don't see what difference MVT starting your favorite players will make to Germany's overall ability to play faster through their mid-field, when this issue clearly not a case of any individuals athleticism defining how Germany's cohesiveness improves.

19. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Best evidenced with the 25 mins of Popp and Oberdorf playing together in CM, showing glimpses of what happens when Germany actually has mid-fielders capable of producing direct quick passing.

And I know for all her issues never being a truly positive contributing factor to Germany's attack, that Marozsan still a creative player who will always produce accurate quick one and two touch passing through the CM area.

Potentially providing MVT another series of changes, due to the likes of Schüller, Bühl, Gwinn, Oberdorf, Magull, all forcing their coach to re-think the roles of her squads more established names.

20. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think you’re underestimating Marozsan’s impact and role in this team as I don’t remember a single player so far in this German squad who’s produced the same amounts of clear chances of her even though she can be underwhelming at times. I read somewhere that she was the player that had been creating the most chances of all players or something like that in the Euro’s 2017 within Jones’s awful team lol

So she’ll be back against Sweden now since they will be the opponent and I’m thrilled she is really. Now as you’ve pointed out, will MVT move Schüller on top with Popp and potentially Oberdorf in CM...?

And just to be clear on this topic again; Huth has not been great lol and this is me having watched specifically her for some games now and even though she might look active on the flanks, your job as an attacking player is to either be involved in creating assists, assisting or score goals and she does neither so far
    So if there’s one player who’s consistently played this tournament who should out, it’s her lol

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL, I fully understand the kinds of quality Marozsan potentially provides this team as one of the world best players; often defusing hotjam2's weird assertions of her being a complete non factor/irrelevancy, all because he feels she doesn't score enough goals.

But without her in the team, it's only recently seeing MVT stumble into the combination of Popp - Oberdorf together in CM, that I feel like MVT might have found a platform to finally reveal the positionally homeless Marozsan's true effectiveness for this team.

22. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gwinn - Doorsoun -- Hegering - Schweers
    --------------- Oberdorf -- Popp -----------------
    Huth ------------ Marozsan ------------ Däbritz
    --------------------- Schüller ----------------------

At this stage of the tournament, if MVT still find ways of wasting time with Popp and Däbritz playing in any other role, you know she's not receiving any healthy input from her coaching department.

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #423 hotjam2, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    I really didn't know the question, MVT been using various styles & that includes within the game itself(will the real MVT please stand up! lol). If the game is about bringing the ball upfield & scoring, than obviously both the US & Germany have the same objective, it just the US does through long balls, while Germany does it through short ones. The US uses only one DM, Germany usually goes with two(in this ase, I prefer the one DM, as it opens up to more wide play, the two DM situation keeps a team more, moving up the middle).

But otherwise I'm no fan of Ellis,/ She's been very stingy with who she brings on the team & it's mostly the same lineup. Many good quality players in their prime have retired from the game over here since the supposedly pro clubs don't pay well/or in our wacky system the US Federation pays good salaries(up to $250K for regulars) if you make the NT, but thanks to Ellis, so many don't.

If Ellis looses it will be on her, not the supposedly vaunted American college system(who she don't have a single player from on her squad) I gather or even confident that a well coached, all star college team would beat Ellis's squad!, Sauerbrunn, Lloyd, O'Hara & even Morgan are way past their prime!

Now I do have to say reading through your posts, while you do heap a lot of criticism on your own NT, you do get a bit sensitive if I, or any outsider does the same with just a little criticsm ourselves. So once again, NO, I dont't care for Ellis, if she looses. it's no big deal(and their in the same boat as Germany was in 2015 with a very difficult schedule). I allready mentioned, based on a real deep team, Germany should go to the finals. It's true, I still prefer the Dutch style better, but it's not a deep squad. Their continues use of the exact same 11 starters should be exhausted by the time/ or If by the time they meet Germany in the semis. But I still think MVT has to be aware, give the subs more playing time & definitley making a mistake starting Marozsan in front of others.

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was simply wondering why a very basic element of both US and Netherland's preferred style of play, had become the basis for your argument promoting the supposed superiority of direct football in the women's game.

And I found this interesting, having seen both US and Netherland's sides continuously produce very similar results, doing everything possible to always move the ball wide as quickly as possible; even if it far too obvious at times.

This something I've said would also benefit Germany if done correctly (but not done so obviously), but not necessarily mandatory towards the German wnt's improved chances of success; considering the various types of players available to MVT, would also benefit from being able to pass and move within a shorter passing style too.

Meaning even if Germany used similar tactics to the US, they still wouldn't produce football like the US. With none of this relating to ideas of MVT incorrectly neglecting to use the best athletes available to her either, as they will never move quicker than the ball being passed by a more cohesive team, using a far more disciplined approach.

25. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After facing Nigeria, Huth, Popp, Schweers, Magull, Oberdorf, all carry yellow cards on their names now. But a good team isn't going to be looking past the next match, meaning MVT will only have to consider her bench once her team actually plays well enough to qualify for the next round.

Plus why do you think it a genuine mistake to start Marozsan...:unsure: As I also asked a similar question about her potential return to the side, but will never doubt her talent as one of the worlds best AM's.

Versus Sweden (another team using a 4-3-3), the presence of Marozsan in the CAM area going head to head with Asllani, would be something that makes perfect sense tactically... no?