Darren Randolph at Middlesbrough

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by northern ireland fan, May 30, 2004.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #151 BostonRed, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Winoman repped this.
  2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a great long-ball goal. I love seeing different ways to score in soccer - great takedown by Long and a pretty good pass by Randolph too.

Winoman repped this.
  3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

"Pass" my ass. That was a "get rid of the damned thing and let the bastards build from the back again" clearance!!

And all the better for it ;):D:p

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #154 BostonRed, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    http://www.irishcentral.com/culture...cer-hero-American-basketball-star-father.html

Meet the unlikely Ireland soccer hero with the American basketball star father

But the 28-year-old goalkeeper who earns his trade as a back-up at Premier League West Ham United is so much more than that. He is the American dream in reverse.

Until 8.25pm Irish time last Thursday night Darren Randolph was still eligible to play for the United States team he supported from his Wicklow armchair at the last World Cup finals in Brazil.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    It's seems he also represented Ireland in basketball at one point:

[​IMG]

And his brother Neil just graduated from Elmira and is in contention for the the Irish Basketball NT.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went 90 in a 2-1 loss to Poland. That puts them 3rd in their UEFA qualifying group with a playoff awaiting.

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    His brother went to Elmira College? Bless his heart, Elmira is a disaster of a city.

russ repped this.
  8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It went right to a free channel where Long was. What a great sequence of events anyway.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I have had this particular spirit and ... well, let's just say it explains a lot about your BigSoccer persona. ;)

10. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's gone ... Oh I... Oh I... I'll have to learn how to face it.

11. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    He started for Ireland today against Bosnia-Herzegovina. It is currently tied 1-1.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

The Irish star’s athletic prowess undoubtedly comes from his American-born father, who moved to Clare to play basketball during a spike in the sport’s popularity in the 1980s.

Ed Randolph fell in love with future wife Anne and the couple eventually moved to Dublin.

Randolph Jr subsequently inherited this love of sport from his father, who still plays and coaches basketball now.

However, soccer ultimately won the battle for Randolph’s affections, as Ardmore Rovers went from strength to strength with him in the side.
    http://www.the42.ie/darren-randolph-soccer-rugby-gaa-basketball-2504529-Dec2015/

Sounds like he's another of those guys who played in the field until they had to fill in at GK and then just never took off the gloves...

LouisianaViking07/09 and BostonRed repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darren Randolph relishing Republic of Ireland chance after NBA dreams

http://www.espnfc.com/club/ireland/...lph-relishing-ireland-chance-after-nba-dreams

Even once Randolph had made it as a footballer, the goalkeeper believed he might end up representing the United States.

Q. Would you have welcomed a call-up from the United States before Ireland?

A. I would at the time, but it never came and it is not an issue now. Ireland have given me an opportunity to play international football and I'm determined to take it. I'm so proud to play for Ireland and my family are all so proud to see me getting this chance with the senior team.

Q. How does your Dad feel about you playing for Ireland, rather than America?

A. He was delighted to see me play a few important games for Ireland. My Mum is Irish and she is obviously proud of what I have done and my Dad is as well. They just want me to do well, whatever shirt I'm wearing.

Q. Are you happy to wait for your chance at club level as well, behind West Ham No. 1 Adrian?

A. I have played a few games this season and hopefully there will be more to come. West Ham is a club moving forward and we all want to be a part of it when they we in the Olympic Stadium next season. That move gives the club a real chance to go on to the next level.

15. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    He must be the only guy in history to represent his country in both soccer and basketball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    is he a worthy replacement for Given? I can't even name any other Irish Gk's. It's literally just Given (no pun intended)

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, it's er . . . a Given :cry: that he's not on Shay's level, but very few Keepers are. From the little I've seen of him he's in the challenging-for-Europe backup or bottom-6-of the-EPL/promotion-challenger starter range in England. He's one candidate for whom the old concept of the Euros/Copa America and the WC as a shop window that can jack up a player's value significantly applies: a strong showing for a team that is likely to be under the cosh for its 3 games could get a starter's deal in a strong Spain or German club.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darren's had a great Euro thus far. Will be interesting to see whether he makes a move or not given his form. He's not first choice at West Ham right?

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it def seems that he should be the no1 for WH though his solid form should get him a nice move. Amazing really his story

Deeneaus repped this.
  20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Why should he be the number one for West Ham?

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He made some nice saves against France. As a 29-YO GK, he's just starting.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was in goal for a 2-1 EFL Cup win against Chelsea:
    [​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    did his Euro performance not help him attract any nice offers or is he sticking with WH to fight for the no1spot?

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA