Darlington Nagbe

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 11, 2011.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's a shame that Celtic move fizzled. Might have motivated him more for NT call-ups

adam tash and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Perhaps he's feeling super-jaded about the USMNT after the 2017 debacle, and decided to focus on his club career instead.

Or, he's holding a grudge against the USMNT because he feels he was frozen out after Couva under Sarachan.

Or, he has a personal reason for disliking Berhalter.

This is him just a week ago: “I think on the roster he's kinda went with younger guys, which is fine — I understand it completely. I'm not opposed to it,” said Nagbe when asked about his absence. “They have veteran leadership with Michael [Bradley], and I think he's been one of the best men's players for a long [time] now. I haven't been opposed to anything [Berhalter] has done. I'm just focusing on this season [with Atlanta United] and I'm happy with the way it's going so far.”

His words are to the effect that he didn't get invited, rather than that he was the one who turned an invite down.

Maybe there's a backstory we don't know here. Or maybe he wanted guarantees he'd be starting and didn't get it. Or maybe he felt the invite was perfunctory and insincere and Berhalter didn't truly want him.

TimB4Last repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It's complicated, because the only satisfactory explanation must conform to two distinct narratives: Nagbe is unpatriotic and Berhalter is incompetent. It cannot be one or the other - it must be both.

russ and gogorath repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time this came up with Nagbe, Klinsmann was the coach, so I don't think Berhalter is the issue.

Android Cat, Ironbound and ifsteve repped this.
  5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially in Atlanta. Time to get the crab grass and random Bermuda grass rooted out of your fescue, and then aerate, fertilize and reseed. Growing grass in Atlanta is nightmare.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The pony Egg sent him arrived 10 minutes late and his kid broke down crying.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    The SBI View: Darlington Nagbe's USMNT career should be over

https://sbisoccer.com/2019/08/the-sbi-view-darlington-nagbes-usmnt-career-should-be-over

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
  9. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahah unlikely

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean Nagbe being benched for inferior players is enough to turn down callups...

maybe he doesnt like the way playing time is divvied up in the team.

If he feels he should have had a better place in the hierarchy I AGREE

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only go by how he plays for us and so far his performances have been below his club standard. He doesn't seem to like to be called for friendlies and uses whatever excuse he can to skip them.

Gacm32 repped this.
  12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah he could be just not interested but there's gotta be a reason...if it truly is just a lack of internal motivation then fine....I am okay with not including him in the team.

bottom line...considering how the team has been managed and run during his time as a potential player its not like there isn't any grounds for gripes. lets not all pretend this team is being and has been run perfectly the last 5/10 debacle filled years.

i think he is worth trying to persuade....depending on the reason. to me he's clearly a top 23 usmnt player, comfortably...and as such he is worth courting.

13. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    A top 23 USMNT player? Who is he beating out? If I’m a USA fan, I’d rather see Dwayne Holmes or Julian Green at the 8 than Nagbe.

14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah sure. And Roldan is really good...:rolleyes:

Nagbe is an ephemeral player, has never been able to replicate his good club performances for the NT, AND he declines callups?

No, he doesn’t have a very good reason to feel aggrieved, and I don’t feel we’re missing much, if anything, without him.

Statman, ifsteve, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....Aren’t you? You’re here at least.

And I’d love to see Green again. He always seems to produce for the NT.

16. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I’m Swiss, that’s where my heart lies. Doesn’t mean I don’t have an deep interest in USA football, as it is now a second home.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he fits the midfield in the mold of adams, musah and mckennie. better than a almost all of the other options. better than bradley. better than yeuil, acosta, trapp, mihailovic, (from what I've seen of) Cardoso, roldan, ledezma (at least for right now), morales, etc.

I think lletget is pretty close to nagbe but not as good. busio, williamson, and green are 3 players i think coud be interesting options.

Does the team need Nagbe? probably not. I was thinking that actually when it 5-0 vs El Salvador....but depending on how the team wants to play...he might be an important backup, at the minimum.

Who else can step into the mckennie, musah adams midfield and be at their level in a pressing system if not nagbe?

if the usmnt wants to play high press...and i think they should...they are gonna need capable backups that can pull it off...not just a starting 11 that can bc....in a tourney all 20 field players will be called upon at some point and a press is like a chain...only as strong as its weakest link.

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Owen Otasawie is a good candidate for the backup role. He may even make his debut tomorrow.

Gacm32 and adam tash repped this.
  19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also bryang kayo could be good eventually

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES. I have been keeping an eye on Bryang. The word is he will begin to get 1st team minutes after the winter break.

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is that now 3 MLS cups with 3 different teams now for Nagbe?

How many other key players have done that?

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One 'X' factor is Porter.

23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Even when our teenagers were taking lumps against the Frances and Brazil of the world, they played with intensity. This guy is fool's gold.

24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I like Nagbe as a player. Of course he has weaknesses but he also has some qualities that are rarely seen in the US. That being said, every time I check out the thread, it is the same old debate.I really don't understand it. If he wanted to play, for the USMNT, a lack of playing time or a percieved slight or injustice from Klinsmann or anyone else wouldn't be affecting his desire to appear now. He has repeatedly turned down callups to play for the US. At what time do we stop chasing him down and just say good luck to him? It isn't like we are competing with another national team....he just doesn't seem at all interested in international soccer. Apparently he says it is because he wants to spend more time with his family.....good for him. If it is really something else, well I'm not going to worry about it.

Statman, russ, Namdynamo and 6 others repped this.
  25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar Gonzalez won lots of silverware with many teams.

Namdynamo, Ghost and Mahtzo1 repped this.