Danish Soccer - I want to learn more

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by panicfc, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Lyveprins

Lyveprins New Member

Jul 21, 2003

2. Lyveprins

Lyveprins New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    The best thing about this freudian slip is, that Chr. Poulsen is precisely the kind of player you acuse us of not producing!!

3. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    I said not "not producing" I said fewer producing.

4. Dancake

Dancake New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    I find it pretty amusing how you guys tend to hate each other. Anyway, as AGF supporter, I'd like to support the Brøndby guys in saying that FCK isn't really a football club to me. The club has no heart, no soul. Seriously, the first thing I'll do when my son is born is make sure he'll become a member of AGF 5 minutes later. You can't really do that if you are a FCK supporter.

And to all the guys not from Denmark here: Århus GF (AGF) is very underrated club, especially when it comes to crowds. So is Ålborg BK (Aab) actually. Our average was only 2000 less than BIF. From that you have to take into concideration the fact that they fought for championship, while we have been struggling to avoid relegation for 5 years now. That easily makes up for the 2000. Apart from that a very large amounth of BIF's spectators are given free tickets, which boost their crowds even more. Honestly I think our average is FAR more impressive than BIF's, but the again, they're from Copenhagen, so we can't really espect anything can we....?

People from Copenhagen tend to act as if there are only 2 clubs in Denmark, and the media tends to agree with them (2 matches from the league are shown every week, and in 9/10 of the cases the first match is Brøndbys and the second match is FCKs. They don't even try to hide it)

Both clubs suffer from serious megalomania (though FCK is by far the worst), which the incident about the super cup proves. The leaders from the clubs acted as if they were kindergarden children! I would seriously pay 100 kr. too slap Flemming Østergård and Holmstrøm!

Anyway, just my 5 minutes....

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Dancake.

Nice to get alternative views.

Do any of you know a Pierre Vendelboe? I think he is a DJ in Copenhagen.

6. Lyveprins

Lyveprins New Member

Jul 21, 2003

7. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Well to the AGF Fan! many of my fellow Brøndby fans really wants AGF to be a force in the league again. And no doubt that AGF on a good season can have bigger gates than Brondby. The number of fans at stadium can't grow for Brondby any longer cause of the very bad public transport possibilityes to Brondby stadium.

And again to you FCK fans why do you always have to defend your selves so fiercely? A week ago you said that it was only Brondby fans that thought that FCK weren't a club, we have now seen that others than Brondby fans also think that too!

To the AGF fan, you have one of Denmarks three best stadiums but how comes that the mainstand with the VIP boxes are so small compared to the other stands and why are that stand not connected as the other stands?

8. q_beQue

q_beQue New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Copenhagen
    Once again. You write that us FCK-fans always wants to defend our selfes. Could it be because some people tend to attack us again, again and again. Why do you bother telling others about us. Why do you use so much energy in talking bad about us insted of telling people what is good about your own club?

WHY WHY WHY talk about others? I honestly don't understand you.

But what the hell. We might not be a club. But you suck. Now im on the same level as you.
    So ************ off and leave us alone

Regards
    Søren
    fckfc#736

9. Dancake

Dancake New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    I know exactly what I'm talking about, as I have family in Copenhagen (FCK supporters), and have seen more than 10 matches over there in the past 3 years (probably 20 something or so all together since 93...) . Take the game versus us some weeks ago. You won the chanpionship for Christ's sake! Boy that celebration was flat! Seriously people went more crazy over here when we avoided relegation last year. That only proves to me that the majority of FCK's supporters don't love the club with their hearts and soul. I would be running around naked if we won the championship! And so would the rest of the people out there. It means EVERYTHING to me. I have the feeling that two thirds of the people on Nedre C are there because it's (all of a sudden) "cool" to be an FCK supporter, not out of love for the club. I know I can't really prove that, but I'm sure everybody without a relationship to FCK, who has seen a match from Nedre C, would agree with me. And I'm not just talking about Brøndby supporters. You have to get over the "it's only Brøndby who hates us" deal. That's not true!

We go way back with Brøndby (and don't like them anymore than I like you really, except for the fact that I can't accept them as a football club), you guys don't have anything when it comes to history(and don't claim you have anything left of the old KB spirit, because you know as well as I do that that's just not true). The fact that you have motherclubs means nothing to me. "Fusioner er for kujoner", nothing more nothing less!

And no, It does not "help" me to accept your succes. You have a great team, no doubt about it, and I admire you work on the pitch. It's everything of the pitch I can't stand.

10. Dancake

Dancake New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Seriously, that excuse with the public transportation is the worst I've ever heard. Are 4000-5000 people standing in line in downtown Copenhagen wearing their Brøndby shirt and anciously waiting for a bus to arrive and take them to the stadium? You are telling me that a lot of fans don't make it each time? Give me a break! Admit that you guys are on a downhill roll, and that you have been passed by FCK, and if you concider the circumstances us as well!

About the VIP boxes: I don't know for sure but I have an idea. The fact is that the VIP sections was build before the rest of the stadium. For some reason in Aarhus we don't tear down something which has just been build no matter what, regardless of how stupid it might seem to keep it! The politicians can't defend doing that (or so they say...bastards!). It would have been an awesome stadium if they would have closed it.....(for the people who dont know the stadium: http://www.stadions.dk/aarhus2.asp)

11. Dancake

Dancake New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Charming mister, very charming!

We feel that there is a problem with the way FCK is build. We feel that there is a problem with the "moneymachine-fusion-FC-Something-no-heart-and-no-history" (actually it's often not just "no history" it's often "destroying old clubs with proud traditions") idea which RULES danish football at the moment. We don't like it, and we want to fight it. Is that so bad? I sure as hell am not just gonna shut my mouth when i feel that the traditions of Danish football are at stake!

You might have arguments as to why the "FC" idea is so great, give us them in stead of just whinning about being attacked all the time. It simply double stabdard to the bone, as you guys normally make a big deal out of telling us how much we whine about your succes.

(and again: congrats on having a great football team! I hate you for having a ************ club)

12. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    I agree with most of what you say Dancake.

But on one thing I have to defend the FCK fans, yes it's true that FCK have many pseudo fans (actually not real fans but more people getting sponsor tickets), but FCKFC has 16k members and I think that 95% of them are real football fans. I know that because I am raised up 200 meters from Parken and went to school on a school less than 100meters away from Parken, 90% of my friends from my school years were FCK fans, although when I was 6-7 years old It was B93 and Skjold everybody talked about in the Østerbro area.

Yes FCK has no history and no root and culture but there fans must been said to be real fans.

And maybe you think that it's ************************ that Brondby don't get higher gates because of the bad transportation is a fact, I don't know if you have tried to come to Brondby stadium without a Car but coming from City it can take very long time. Think about how many Danes thats saying they are Brondby fans? Yes many of them might be pseudofans, but many who are fans but not total fans won't use too much energy going to the stadium because of the difficulty. Why else do you think that Brondby only have 15k in average.

It's a fact that good public transport are needed to sustain higher gates to matches, think about Tottenham that often threatens the English FA with moving to Wembley because of the bad transport possibilities at White Hart Lane.

13. q_beQue

q_beQue New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Copenhagen
    I still don't get the point. You can't accept it, then leave it alone.

But since you're experts on this area. I won't post no more.

So long...

14. Plundun

Plundun New Member

Dec 18, 2000
    You obviously missed the front page of Ekstra Bladet the day after the championship: Two FCK-fans in the buff running around Parken.

So that statement is as misguided as the rest of your diatribe against FCK loyalty.

15. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    Crap, crap

brian steen Nielsen, a former danish international and now playing in AGf, might go to prison for headbuting (sp?) a team mate

Egyptian Zidan might go to jail for beating up his former girlfriend. so that was a pretty investment for FC Midtjylland.

the danish FA has changed sponsor from Hummel to Adidas. Replacing a danish company with a foreign to produce the national kit is a disgrace

And finally, FCK still sucks donkeyballs

F.U.C.K

16. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Yeah it's a disgrace that The National FA has changed shirt to Adidas from Hummel after using Hummel for more than 25 years...... well business is business and probably it's also Hummels own fault....... Cause of Christian Stadil Hummel has been more interested in making retro clothes to young people than making sportswear the last couple of years.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Crap, crap

What a disgrace!

Hummel has been a staple in Denmark. They aren't Danish any more are they? I thought Score bought them. Score is a California company run by a nice lady, Rosa.

18. Wowbagger

Wowbagger New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Denmark
    For panicfc: An update on the leagues

The new season has started, with 3 matches played so far. I thought I'd give an update on what has happened in the top, as well as a overview of the DBU (Danish Ballgame Union, the national football organisation in Denmark) leagues, since I think this has turned into a club vs club discussion, rather than a presentation of football in Denmark.
    Someone already mentioned it, but I would like to repeat that bold.dk is an excelent website on danish football, even if it can be hard to navigate since it's written in danish.

Geography:
    http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/dk.htm
    Danish is a small island kingdom, with hundreds of islands and a peninsula as the only connection to main europe. The peninsula, Jutland (Jylland) has the largest population, with several large cities, like Århus, Ålborg (Aalborg), and Esbjerg. The largest island, Sealand (Sjælland), only has one large footballing city, Copenhagen (København), the Danish capital, and by far the largest city in Denmark. Several football teams are based in or around Copenhagen. Also, her Majesty, the Queen Margrethe II spends most of her time in Copenhagen (Don't worry, we have a democracy, the Queen is mostly a symbol, like in England). The second largest island, Fyn, has one large football city, Odense, with one large football team, OB. The other islands are mostly too small to support a large football team. Infrastructure is very good, with bridges connecting all major islands, and a bridge to Sweden. Financially, Denmark is well off, and due to a large social system there is very little, if any, poverty.

DBU:
    - History:
    The Danish Ballgame Union (Dansk Boldspils Union) is one of the oldest national football organisations, and a founding member of FIFA. However, due to very idealistic values, professional football wasn't allowed untill the late seventies. Denmark has produced many great footballers, but many were forced to seek careers outside of Denmark. During the eightees, those footballers were gathered by danish football trainer legend Sepp Piontek, who led a team that could, and did, beat any team in the world. During World Cup '86 in Mexico, Denmark trashed every other team in the first round, including Germany, before losing to Spain. Spain had stopped Denmark in the European Championships in '84, and would stop Denmark from advancing later on as well. Spain is regarded as Denmarks "Evil Spirit". In the early '90s, danish football had it's greatest triupmhs. In '92, Denmark won the European championship (since Spain didn't qualify, and weren't there to stop us, of course) by beating Holland in the semis, and Germany in the finals, and in '94 (or '95?) OB beated Real Madrid out of the UEFA Cup, before losing narrowly to Lazio. In '98(?), Brøndby won against Bayern Munich in Champions League, after they were placed in a group along with Manchester United and and FC Barcelona. In recent years, danish clubs have failed to impress in the european tournaments, but they haven't failed too badly either.
    - Current structure:
    There are 3 regional amateur ranks, Sealand (Sjælland), Jutland (Jylland) and Fyn. Hundreds, if not thousands, of teams compete in these. The very best are placed in one of 3 qualification rows (kval. rækken), with 8 teams in each. The losing 4 from these gets relegated, while the best 4 advances to one of the 3 Denmark Series (Danmarks Serien, DS), with 16 teams in each row. The losing 4 in each of these gets relegated to qualification rows, while the 3 winners advance to 2nd Division, where they are allowed to sign professional contracts. 2nd Division holds 16 teams. The losing 3 in 2nd Division are relegated to DS, while the winning 3 advances to 1st Division. 1st Division holds 16 teams. From 1st Division, the losing 3 are relegated to 2nd Division, while the winning 2 advances to the Super League (Super ligaen). Super ligaen holds 12 teams, and the teams faces each other 3 times during the season, for a total of 33 matches for each team. This year, superligaen was given 4 places in the UEFA Cup, and 1 in the Champions League qualifications. If reigning champions, FCK, fails to win a Champions League spot against Glasgow Rangers, they will be given a fifth place in the UEFA Cup.
    Besides the regular play, the teams from the better leagues meet in a knock-out tournament each season for a separate cup, just like the FA Cup in England.
    - Current Strength:
    It is hard tell how strong the weaker clubs are, but as the history part said, the stronger clubs have had some success in the european scene. I haven't mentioned every remarkable win, since there are far too many. Suffice to say that during a good year, with a little luck, the best danish teams can beat any team, if they are underestimated by the opponent. As to their de facto strength, I would say that most superliga teams could manage to stay in the English Premier League, and the better teams would be competing for UEFA Cup places. Last year, the superliga was very even, but the safe bets for european qualification are FCK and Brøndby IF. These almost always lands just outside Champions League.

Current Status in Super Ligaen:
    The Superliga (The soup) has 12 teams, with 2 teams being relegated each year. This season the 12 teams are:
    AB (aka Akademisk Boldklub, Academic Ballclub):
    Based in Gladsaxe, close to Copenhagen.
    AB has a long history with 9 championships, but have had financial trouble the past couple of years. They have been rebuilding the squad from scratch at the start of every season, since they have had to sell most of their team to stay alive. Many think they might be relegated after this season, after they lost a lot of their best players this summer, where most were sold to other Superliga clubs. Their biggest star last season was Mohammed Zidan, who now plays in FC Midtjylland.
    They are not likely to take in any foreign players, unless they come VERY cheap.
    AGF (aka Århus Gymnastik Forening):
    AGF is another old club, based in the second largest danish city, Århus. Traditionally, teams from danish capital Copenhagen (København) have dominated danish football, but AGF has taken the championship to Jutland 5 times. The past few years, they have struggled hard to avoid relegation, but they are good at surviving. AGF plays a very physical game, and have received 2 red cards in the past 2 games, and their former captain Brian Steen Nielsen might go to jail for violence during training. If they survive, they have the money to rebuild, though.
    American Wade Barrett is getting closer to a permanent starting spot in AGF, and could help other americans coming to AGF. But wait a while, untill their fate after this season has been decided.
    Brøndby (aka Brøndby Idræts Forening, BIF):
    Based in a Copenhagen suburb, Brøndby is one of the younger clubs, but has evolved into one of the 2 danish superpowers, and win trophies almost every season. They have won 9 championships, the first one in '85. They are financially well off, but not filthy rich, and prefer to buy local talents and develop them instead of buying complete players.
    Competition on this team is fairly hard, and a young american player might have trouble finding his feet. Also, Brøndby prefers locals.
    Esbjerg (aka Esbjerg forenede Boldklubber, EfB):
    Esbjerg is not the oldest club, but has a fairly long history. They have won 5 championships. Esbjerg plays very interesting football, very forward minded, with good offense and decent defense. They are neither rich or poor.
    They are not likely to take an american. They prefer to develop their own talent.
    FC København (aka FCK, FC Copenhagen):
    A very young team, formed by the fusion of 2 of the oldest danish teams, FCK is the other of the 2 superpowers, and reigning champions. They have won just 3 championships. FCK is filthy rich, by danish football standards. Therefore they buy a lot of very strong players, and internal competition is extremely fierce.
    They will gladly buy foreigners, if they are strong enough, but anyone coming to FCK should be prepared to fight very hard, just to get on the bench.
    FC Midtjylland (aka FCM):
    Another recent fusion club, FCM has never won a championship. They're based in Ikast, Jutland. They have a fair team and a decent economy, but nothing special.
    Their african attacking duo, Zidan and Pimpong is noteworthy, though.
    FCM might take an american.
    FC Nordsjælland (aka FCN, Farum):
    FCN has an interesting, if short, history. They debuted in the Super liga last year. They made it there because of the corrupt mayor of their home town, Farum. He used creative accounting to transfer money into Farum Boldklub, as it was called then. When it was found out, Farum suddenly weren't as financially sound anymore, but were saved by other, legal, investors. They changed name to FCN this season. They have never won a championship.
    FCN probably won't buy any foreigners very soon.
    Frem:
    Based in Valby, Frem call themselves the "real" Copenhagen, since they are closest to the city core. Frem went bankrupt about 10 years ago, and was forced down to the DS. Before that happened, they had a very long history, with 6 championships. Now, Frem is back, but many think that it will be a short visit. Frem is a working class club, with a strong connection with it's fans, and the very varied people in it's community. Frems team is a ragtag band, with no less than 11 different nationalities.
    If Frem manages to survive and hang on in the Super liga, I think it would be the perfect place to start for any foreign player. They are used to dealing with many different cultures, it is relatively easy to get a starting position, and there is a very friendly atmosphere in the club.
    Herfølge:
    Herfølge is a relatively old club, but one without a too glorious history. Their only championship was a surprise in 2000, and the year after they were relegated. This year they are back, and have a decent chance of staying.
    They might take in an american.
    OB (aka Odense Boldklub):
    OB is based in Odense, Fyn. OB is an old club, with 3 championships. Their economy now is good, and they're trying to build a strong winning mentality. They are likely to take in new strong players. They try to become as strong as FCK and Brøndby, but they aren't yet, so it's easier to get a starting position.
    Viborg:
    From Viborg, Jutland, this old club has never won a championship. Read about FCM, a lot of it applies to Viborg.
    AaB (aka Ålborg Boldklub):
    From Ålborg, Jutland, AaB is an old club, with only 2 championships, both in recent times. This season, they will have to fight to avoid relegation, but they have ambitions about more championships later.
    They propably wouldn't take an american.

Phew, I think that was it... I'll try to update from time to time. I hope someone can use this.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was something fantastic.

Thanks so much.