Danish Soccer - I want to learn more

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by panicfc, Jun 5, 2003.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know about the Laudrup brothers, I know a bit about Brondby, FC Kobenhavn, Midjytland (Something like that), Lyngby and their relegation because of money.

I also know about Olstygge.

Ebbe Sand, Stig Tofting...Lovenkrands....

Tell me more.

2. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    Well where to start...

Michael Laudrup is god. This is an undisputed fact.

The most succesful club in recent times is Brøndby.

In recent years there have been some club fusions: FC Copenhagen is a fusion between the oldest club in Denmark KB and B 1903. FC Midtjylland, a fusion between Ikast and Herning.
    In the lower division there have been other fusions

The Club with most financial difficulties has to be Farum but that has nothing to do with the club itself- That is actually more the former Mayor of Farum, Peter Brixtofte fault- Handed out contracts to companies who then secretly promised to sponsor the club. he was also very generous in handing out taxpayers money to the club
    he is facing trial and could serve 8 years in prison.

The richest club is FC Copenhagen but they do not earn their money on football, but by renting the stadium out to big events

The biggest upset is Ølstykke a.k.a Olstygge ;) winning the championship. The season after they got relegated but they will be in the league after the summer.

The biggest disappointment in the league the last couple of season has to be Aarhus GF. It is a mystery why the second biggest city with the 2 proudest history has been fighting against relegation instead of fighting for honours. But now they have a rich "daddy" and if they avoid relegation they should be competing for medals next season.

The most entertaining team in the league has to be Esbjerg FB. They can only win and lose big. they have so far scored 64 goals in 30 matches and opponent have scored 55 against them.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What division with Olstygge be in?

What about Brian Laudrup?

Any news on Lyngby?

How about Matt Jordan's new team - Odense?

Esbjerg FB sounds like a great team to watch :D

4. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    Sorry I confused Herfølge and Ølstykke. Ølstykke is current in the mid tabel in the first division. How come you know about them? And how come I confused the 2 ?

Im a Stupid dane ;)

Brian laudrup wants to be a youth coach which is excellent news for danish football. As a player he didnt like always being in the spotlight so that job will be good for him. He is also working as a socalled football "expert" on TV commenting the champions League

Lyngby has just been promoted to the second division

Odense is at the moment 5 in the tabel but does have a chance to get an UEFA cup spot- they are 3 points behind Esbjerg. Matt Jordan he is a goalkeeper right? then there is good news for him because Brøndby has bought Odenses regular Karim Zaza

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL - Olstygge - Herfolge...I thought some former player, relatively young manages Herfolge.

Olstygge - used to have Yank Derk Droze there.

Laudrup: He does seem like he would make a great coach.

That is good news for Matt. He'll do well for them.

Also Wade Barrett is on the bench in Denmark as well.

6. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    The coach who took Herfølge to the championship is John Faxe Jensen. He is assistent coach in Brøndby now. He scored Denmarks first goal in the Euro 92 final against Germany.

Wade Barrett has not done to well this spring for Aarhus GF but then again it is not easy coming to a club who is trying to avoid relegation

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory isn't too bad - I knew it was a former Danish National team guy.

Brondby was interested in Yank Taylor Twellman a few years ago.

Might have been a much better move than to 1860

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's the season going? Coming to a close soon I think/

Any updates?

9. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Season finished this weekend. FCK won. Bröndby finished second, losing the last match to already relegated Silkeborg. Not that it mattered. FCK would have been champions anyway.

There is a slight tendency towards a scottish situation in the danish league, with FCK and Bröndby as Rangers/Celtic. Only the Copenhagen teams has reasonably big crowds. It seems like something has to be done about the footballing environment outside the capital. People out west paying too much attention to handball??

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Brondby's attendance?

How did Midjytland do? on the field and at the gate?

What about Lyngby? Did they get promoted?

Olstygge?

11. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Brøndby, finished 2:nd, attendance usually between 10 and 15k, unless they play FCK when the 31.5k stadium is packed. Average 2002/03 season 14734.

Midtjylland, 7:th, They are playing at the 12k kapacity Ikast Stadion. Average attendance 2002/03 2998, but twice as much when clubs like FCK come to visit. Attendance on or under 5k is normal when it comes to clubs outside Copenhagen. I still blame handboll.

Ølstykke, 8:th in division 1, no promotion.

Lyngby finally is way beyond my horizon. I usually only follow danish premier division. But, if I navigated correctly on the danish FA:s site, Lyngby won group 1 of something called DS, which seems to promote them to division 2.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for your work. Solid place for Midtjylland as they are a pretty new club right?

Olstykke: Solid, looking to improve.

Lyngby: Hope they get back to the Superliga.

13. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Danish Football

Midtjylland has only existed in 3-4 years and is the result of a merger between two clubs from different cities.

Farum will change name to FC Nordsjælland (Northern Sealand) next year, the smaller provincial clubs all try to drop their city identities to get a more regional image instead, however this might be very bad idea since danes are a very lazy people who hates to move their body to go and see soccer live, so i doubt that a person will travel to the neighbour city to see soccer there.

While i don't forgets it's possible that Herfolge already mergers with neighbour club Koge in the autumn, called Koge FB.

However Aarhus GF is actually very good supported they have more than 10k in average and have a cool stadium with room for 21k.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does the season re-start?

15. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    The nwe season

well the new season starts the 26-27 july if I remember correctly.

Try the www.bold.dk site, that site has live results of the danish leagues. in the menu bold.direkte you can follow the results live as they are being played.

under the menu called bold.kampe you can see when the matches will be played. Be aware that matches from other countries also are mentioned there.

under bold.nyheder you can read about the latest news in the danish Superleague (Sas-League) (If you can read danish)

In the left menu you can choose league and see the current standings there.

but i hopes that the next season will be as spectatular as the previous season. the 2002-2003 season was the the most watched season ever in danish football history.

If there anything else just ask.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out regularly.

Any news on Matt Jordan?

17. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Well Matt Jordan hasn't really had any games yet, but thats because Karim Zaza was too good a keeper but Karim Zaza is moving to Brøndby replacing legendary Mogens Krogh, so I will pressume that he will play a lot from the 26 July
    afterall OB Odense baught him to replace Karim Zaza.

Actually did you know that US Keeper Brad Friedel played in Brondby a couple of years but did not get the chance to keep the goal for a single match, and see how big success he now has.

18. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Also, YA Will Orben saw a bit of playing time for FCK and later for Skjold (think he was on the Skjold roster as recently as last year).

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do remember the Friedel story vaguely.

Keep us posted on Matty.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't forget Derk Droze was at Lyngby, Olstygge and one other club.

I think Will is back in the US and will be living in CT soon.

21. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Actually I think quite a lot of US Players have played in Denmark the last 6-7 years.

But it will be interesting for Matt Jordan OB Odense will play UEFA cup this season.

22. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    The funny thing about Skjold is that all boys except me played at Skjold when we were in the 1st grade.
    One of them Peter still played in the starting line when they played in 2nd Division (Now they are in 1st.)

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know that many, but we are going to try and export a few.

Must be cool to see your friends playing high level football.

My old team has a few guys playing at a high level. I was the marketing director at New Orleans Gamblers.

Our head coach is now the head coach at Dallas Burn - Mike Jeffries. Our Asst Coach is now asst coach/goalkeeper coach at the Chicago Fire, Daryl Shore. We have Ezra Hendrickson at LA Galaxy, Jason Kreis at Dallas, Derk Droze, and Stern John at Birmingham City.

They didn't all play together, but we had some great teams.

24. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    So, how would one pronounce Skjold? Something like Shield? Or possibly Skioll? Having been to Denmark a few times pretty recently, it's pretty clear I'll never be able to pronounce any Danish words like they ought to be, but I was curious about this one in particular.

25. Adrian P.

Adrian P. New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Copenhagen Denmark
    Ha Ha Ha none of the Danish football club names are easy to pronounce take FC Copenhagen their really name is FC København who else than Danes know how the letter ø is pronounced.

Well but Yes Skjold means Shield.
    the last letter, the D in Skjold is a soft D so the pronounciation is near Skjoll.

Hope that helped you a bit.