Daniele De Rossi - the last son of Rome

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, May 14, 2019.

1. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough but the same is true of you is it not.

2. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    If you want, I guess. I don't think I'm the positive bias equivalent to your negative, though.

I think you actually tried to make a case for Florenzi>De Rossi at one point, iirc.

I'd have to be saying things like De Rossi's the greatest player of all-time or something.

3. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    IMG_7135.jpg

(ANSA) - ROME, MAY 31 - "With reference to the article published yesterday in the newspaper la Repubblica, signed by Messrs. Bonini and Mensurati - it is written in De Rossi's integral declaration to ANSA - I intend to express all my indignation for the distorted, if not false, a reconstruction of some facts and episodes, which concern me.That is why I will be forced to defend myself because expressly mentioned, in some specific passages of the said article, where episodes are distorted, and I am attributed with behaviors I have never had and phrases never said. Write that the undersigned, together with other extraordinary and loyal professionals who have given their hearts to the Roma shirt, has brought into being those "behaviors" is simply ridiculous, as well as shamelessly false, writes De Rossi again - This article that "reconstructs" so the reasons for my removal is even more grotesque if you think that the As Roma - a few days ago - offered me a role the delicate and relevant management close to the managing director, honoring me with an offer that I declined for the reasons known to all. In any case, since I believe that what was written with serious defamation and is detrimental to my reputation and image, I will immediately send my trusted lawyers to request legitimate damages in court, which will be donated entirely to a well-known pediatric hospital in Rome. One last thing De Rossi concludes: it is not the first time that for reasons unknown to me shadows are cast on the friendship between me and Francesco. I tell you: work harder than not enough .... Daniele De Rossi ". (ANSA).

4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Man goes on a holiday with his wife and can't even get to enjoy it in peace. Can't wait to seee the lying press hacks get destroyed.

5. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lol. You want to throw Pellegrini and Cristante back into DDR’s spot when for the past season this board has done nothing but bitch about their play when they’re doing anything but play in an advanced role and even bitched enough about their poor play from an advanced role?

DDR, like Totti before him, can no longer be counted upon to play a full schedule or anything even approaching it. Is the class there? Yes. Is the form there? No. It’s a less exaggerated form of Pastore where we pay a talented footballer to not play football.

At present the best run organization in sports is the New England Patriots and that is because Bill Belichick will always move on from a player a year too early rather than waste resources on a player who can no longer reliably contribute. This is a total Bill move. DDR given his salary but more importantly position within the locker room is too burdensome to only contribute to 1/3 of the season. I am not forgetting the revolt against Ranieri his last go around, his dust ups with promising young talents driving them out of the club, and also the years where he was accused of being a drunk and lagging it through the season on here. I can’t wait until we show Florence the door and everyone acts like they haven’t spent the entire time since he returned from his knee injury complaining about him and wishing we sold him because he no longer justifies his wages.

Java65 and Midfield General repped this.
  6. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
  7. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Don’t forget revolting against Zenan because he didn’t want to run. But somehow I’m supposed to believe he was fine with a disciple of Zeman who relied on just as much running.

OK.

8. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    No, I said nothing about "throwing" them into DDR's spot. I just said in the case of Nzonzi "breaking his leg", we wouldn't be completely fcuked like he's suggesting.

I also don't base my opinions on how much this board bitches. If you read it, I pointed out Pellegrini had good performances at the pivot to end the season. I also remember posting statistics about one of his really good games. So I dunno what to tell ya.

Neither is a natural DM, but neither is a complete disaster like Gerson was playing the pivot last season.

lol, Totti couldn't be counted on for 10 minutes towards the end. If I read one more comparison between their two exits my eyes might bleed.

No one is suggesting De Rossi can be counted on a full schedule or anything approaching it. We're just saying accommodating him into the squad is not some massive risk like Pallotta's painting it. There are so many ways to prevent the need to play De Rossi 50 games in a worst-case scenario.

If we dropped 30m and paid 4.0m/year for De Rossi in his prime, and he couldn't get on the pitch, I'd say Pastore is relevant to this conversation.

The whole "year too early" thing is predicated on getting something of value in return for your asset before it's too late. De Rossi is 36 and we're forcing him to retire. What exactly are we getting in return? Draft picks don't exist in European football, my man. The league doesn't pay each team enough revenue to pay for their entire wage bill.

A roster spot? cleared wages? Sweet. Good luck finding a DM that can give you 10-15 performances like he can for cheap. The one we just dropped 30m on couldn't even do it.

You do realize the Patriots have had about a million veterans on their teams during their dynasty, right? And believe it or not, plenty of them were backups and role players. Troy Brown, Kevin Faulk; hell, I'm pretty sure they just brought back 38 year old TE Benjamin Watson.

The landscape for acquiring talent is entirely different. There's the draft, the evenly spread wealth/cap, or even just the pull NE has with free agents due to their insane success. Roma has none of those things.

Nice try with the NFL reference, but I know way too much about that sport to buy this shit.

Honestly, which do you think would be a more likely "Bill move", having De Rossi on the roster or having Coric? Because Pallotta seems to forget we had a guy play 30 seconds this season when he's suggesting we "don't have room."

And I'm not even going to bother with the rest of your post.

ErPupone repped this.
  9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe I said that Florenzi was better than DDR. What I said that both we overpaid simply because they are Roman. I never said Florenzi was the greatest in fact I've said recently that I'd be ok if they eventually moved Florenzi.

My arguments about Florenzi have simply been 2 fold; 1) he's not nearly as bad as some on here say and 2) I don't want to sell him until we find a suitable replacement. We've tried how many RB over the last 5 years and all have been worse, even average RB are hard to come by.

IMO, I think your positive bias is equivalent but in the end it's probably just on how we each look at it. I respect your opinion and I don't want this to spiral so I'll try to refrain from commenting on DDR anymore. I just think its best for the club and the fans to move on. Regardless of how we feel about the issue its over and lets just hope we have a better summer than we did the last few years.

10. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Just stupid. If Nzonzi breaks his leg we would be screwed having to rely on Bryan and LoPel to provide coverage for another years older Fazio.

In the NFL they are required to be under a salary cap. The Patriots let players who provided significant contributions leave all of the time because they dont think the salary they command is going to match their performance all of the time. And they certainly have no problem cutting locker room malcontents. Sure they'd prefer to trade but they cut or let them walk in free agency all of the time.

Expecting DDR to contribute more than every 3rd game but still paying him a wage he demands AND having him have undue influence in the locker room is asking for perpetual trouble.

There is like a reason a new dynasty tends to remove the traces to an old one.

I've been following the club since the 2002/03 season and I dont remember a Roma without him. Will miss him but everyone has their time. Aside from going out lifting a trophy this is as optimal a time as can be. The club is a mess with a direction to be determined but almost certainly heading in a youthful direction. I thank him for the few coppa titles he helped us win and the WC in 2006. Now he can go spend sometime with his family and then take a coaching role somewhere. He's not coming back and in the long run the club isnt worse for it.

11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I wouldnt rule out him not coming back when the dust is settled. I expect him to play on for a few years now. Boca hopefully and then I would from there I could see him retiring in America.

12. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Likewise. I honestly don't care how you rate the footballer, we all have opinions and I'm far from perfect myself.

It's just instantly believing a leak like that... I dunno, to me, it's not a coincidence the people that wanted him gone consist of people taking that shit as gospel. But, I guess you could flip that around to those refusing to instantly believe it, as well.

Guess we'll see what happens.

Java65 repped this.
  13. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  14. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks pal. Not a bad way to start it off, I suppose.

I'm stuck in a boring-ass town where barely anyone speaks English, so let's see where this goes.

Nice, you're adding a Fazio wrinkle. A man after my own heart.

Still, it's almost as if you've read precisely nothing of what've I've said. "Nzonzi breaks leg, Roma screwed." I get it, I get it. You still haven't told me why we're not capable of having 3 players good at playing DM.

Yes, I believe I mentioned the cap. Did you miss the part about the NFL giving each team the revenue to cover their wage bills entirely?

Right. And why do they do this? Because the ability to replace players is vastly different. There's a system in place to provide you guaranteed cheap, cost-controlled talent (provided you scout well), along with a cap that ensures a free market non-existent with European football.

What you're saying is undeniably true, the Patriots (like every other team) make cuts based on performance relative to wages. But what you're completely ignoring is how much easier it is to replace talent in the NFL. Everyone is on the same playing field financially in the NFL, and that couldn't be further from the truth in Europe.

lol, a not so subtle shot. Pretty revealing as to the root of all this, but nonetheless, let's carry on.

Honestly, we don't know what his wages would've looked like. So perhaps let's just avoid using that in your rationale? There's about a less than zero chance they would've been egregious, though.

And "Perpetual trouble", good god. You've really created quite the character of De Rossi in your head.

Dunno what you're trying to say, but if we're going with this Patriots analogy you've created, Brady and Bill have been there the whole time, dude.

And if you're somehow using the word "dynasty" in any relation to Roma....well

state them facts, homie.

15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I wouldn't rule out him coming back when the dust is settled is what I meant to write.

16. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit my instant reaction was to believe everything in that story but, as with most things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Just like Pallotta absolving EdF, I don't think EdF is completely to blame but he also not blameless. Him sticking with Olsen and insisting on playing a high line were critical mistakes. I'd bet that now that he's out of the heat of battle he'd say the same in a private moment.

For me the biggest problem with this entire episode is the fans.. the idiot fans. The idiotic banners all over the city, attacking JP's sisters, the harassment of EdF, Monchi and Baldini. If you are a quality coach or DS do you want to come into this toxic environment? We forget they are all people and have lives outside of football and this kind of juvenile, vicious and abusive behavior is going to drive away good people.

The ultras bitch because JP doesn't come to Rome but who would want to subject themselves to their behavior if you don't have to. I've said for a long time, and this DDR issue only reinforces my opinion, that the fans are a big problem for this club and hinder it from moving forward.

17. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If DDR came back for one more year, we would essentially have 2 starting DMs. I fear we would risk a Totti-like situation, (possibly worse since DDR can still very effective) fans would want him to start every “big game” because he can still put in good shifts. It’s easy to say we understand he can only play limited amount of games now, but it’s much different in the moments of the season.
    Roma fans aren’t known for the rational and logical thinking in the moment. With a new coach coming in maybe they didnt want to put that on his plate. Of course this is me speculating but it’s the off season, what else do we have to do?
    In the end for me personally I can see the compelling arguments for either side.

Oban14 repped this.
  18. DOctore13

DOctore13 Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Because having 3 quality players at a position is like having none. Riding out with 1 of them leaves the other 2 unhappy and or lazy. Rotating them doesn’t work because they’re never in form and it’s worse when one is the hometown hero whom everyone expects to see playing week in and week out when medically clear even if his performance is objectively and subjectively worse than the others. If you have 2 quarterbacks you have no quarterback is a phrase that comes to mind. A Jimmy related scenario I can think of is the celtics PG position this season. Kyrie Irving is a better basketball player than Terry Rozier by a decent amount. Without him last year they were 12 mins away from the final, with him back (and Gordon Hayward) there were never enough minutes for the back court and everyone regressed. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Not for nothing but those teams almost sell out all their stadiums every week and more than earn their money from the league. And their fans turn up. Their TV deal is amazing and something Serie A needs to work on.

It’s not a 1:1 but Europe is all about buying talent and moving on from it which is essentially what NE does. There is no draft but their are youth teams. Scouting is still essential and when. And it could be argued that when you haven't finished outside of the top 4 for the past 8 years replacing talent is more difficult in the NFL because you don't have unlimited access to those players. Or those talents.

But I am 100% in favor of caps on player wages/team salary/transfer funds

Is it a shot? I guess so. Has he been a model teammate and leader? I don't think so. He was a leader when the team mutinied under Ranieri the last time. He was pretty openly hostile to Zeman. He had the dustup with a promising young CB which led to him leaving the club.

It happens. Being a great player doesn't make you inherently a great leader.

Totti wasn't a great leader either.

He had previously had the highest wage in the country. I doubt he was going to settle for even a 3rd of that (if he expects to play only 1/3 the games). If he would have he should have said so.

There is a less than zero percent chance he doesn't cause trouble or unrest or is the figure head for which trouble and unrest stems.

Dude like actual dynasties. The Tudor Dynasty wiped out all of the Plantagenets. The Abassid Caliphate tried to wipe out all possible Umayaad challengers. Etc. We have seen how bad things can go when a player has too much influence in a club house. What happens if DDR doesn't like the new manager or again is unhappy with new transfers? Totti vs Spaletti feud has been a hot topic on here.

But Roma has been struggling to change directions for the last 10 years and now maybe they have finally hit rock bottom and need to change directions. A clean cut is best here. Keeping with the Boston theme. The Red Sox had a spectacular collapse in 2011 due to locker room issues, traded away talent for pennies on the dollar to remove it, bottomed out the next year and then in 2013 won the WS keeping only Dustin Pedroia (in his prime at 28) and David Ortiz.

Maybe we move on from the veterans, take out lumps, and see what grows out of the youth.

We aren't a DDR away from a scudetto or a CL or even a Coppa at this point. I will miss him, we all will. but that is what it is.

19. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    If you have DM's that aren't capable of playing other roles, sure. Again, it's almost like you've read nothing I've said.

The notion that the DM position cannot be filled by CM's on occasion or vice-versa is just inherently false. The amount of CM's capable of playing both roles is vast. Look around, man.

Take the two teams in the CL final if you want. Sissoko went from a winger, to a CM this season. Henderson plays the 6 and the 8. When Fabinho was still learning the Prem, did Liverpool fall apart? No. When Poch had like 0 CM options did they fall apart? No.

Pallotta framed the DM position the way he did to make it sound like there's not enough room on the roster. It looks like you actually bought that crap, so I guess I have to give Jim credit, it actually worked on some people.

If you don't think we're not capable of having another player that's good at DM/CM instead of someone like Coric, then I dunno what to tell ya, dude.

No reasonable person expects that, but keep going with that agenda.

QB's are way more specialized than defensive midfielders. Goalkeepers would be the QB's of soccer/football if we had to do a comparison.

Rozier is a young player who wants minutes, and after having a really nice stretch when Kyrie was injured, he probably has a good case. Kyrie is a star player in his prime. Both want to be starters and are at the age when they should be, but yes, the chemistry was clearly affected (along with Tatum).

De Rossi is 36. Try again.

Right, and the draft involves grown men ready to play that are cheap, cost-controlled assets. The % of players that play in the NFL via the draft every season completely obliterates the % of players that make it from club's youth teams.

Take my Colts for example, we drafted 10 players in 2018. Two became all-pro players, another a key starter, 3 were instant role players, and 2 were key special teams contributors. All cost-controlled for 3-4 years being paid around the same amount as anyone drafted near them, all acquired with no transfer fee or a bidding war.

Please, find me the equivalent of that happening in European football. I'll wait.

Never gunna happen with UEFA running the show, but yes, I wouldn't mind seeing it either. Maybe if this super-league is actually formed, the system as we know will cease to exist.

Yeah, it's a shot. No player is perfect, but if you don't think De Rossi's a good leader, then you're just totally ignoring the all available evidence.

Listen to what Claudio has said about Daniele this season. Do you really think he'd be saying that about someone who led a mutiny against him?

If you're using Jedvaj and Zeman as your prime pieces of evidence, then man, you're completely just seeing what you want to see and using those instances as confirmation bias. It's sad people actually view De Rossi this way, honestly.

Yeah, except that he is. Go read what his teammates and maangers say about him. Or just talk about fcuking Jedvaj and Zeman- your choice.

Agreed. Totti's the greatest player in the history of the club, so I don't want to speak too negatively about him, but if you think Daniele's anything like that guy, you're mistaken. I'll leave it at that.

He did say so. It didn't matter.

Such bullshit. Again, people lumping De Rossi in with Totti. They're not the same person, I'm sorry.

Oh, look, another Totti comparison. Fun. I think I might be sensing a pattern.

Can't wait to see how Florenzi leads the new era.

Yeah, it helps that Boston's one of the richest teams in baseball.

Sure, I'd just love to see a good argument as to why it was the right call to move on from him. Truly haven't seen one I'd consider worthy.

20. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    #270 Salmeen10, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    The (unconfirmed) Jedvaj story:

Jedvaj was slacking off in training, DDR as a leader in the locker room did his job and told him off. Rudi Garcia had problems with the same player for his commitment, one time he opted to play Bradley as a RB ahead of him. Jedvaj was the first player to get sent away immediately after the season ended.

Only by Roma fans would this story be used to try and prove DDR was a locker room problem, while trying to imply that he was the reason players are not training hard enough at the same time.

The irony here is that DDR was always the one player closest to the youngsters and the one trying the hardest to get them affiliated. All you need to know is what Primavera players said about him, or Zaniolo, Paredes, etc.

21. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Just a point of distinction. It does depend on the system. The system EDF was trying to implement takes a high level player with a lot of skills such as prime DDR. Guys like Nzonzi are the many players who are on the market. Can he play the position? Yes but not even close to what DDR could.

In systems like Sarri, even our old friend Zeman ;) the DM is the brain and a QB is a good comparison. I'm more interested in the dynamic of Monchi and how he acted towards DDR. I think if you go back to the Gonalons signing you can break down how this evolved quite clearly and it shows his failings in terms of people skills.

wm72 repped this.
  22. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Yeah, that's a bit of a different discussion. In terms of how they affect the game being played, you could certainly say a high-level DM/DLP is equivalent to a QB in terms of distributing the ball and controlling the game.

But in terms of specialized position, it's GK. Dunno how familiar you are with American Football, but it's not even disputable. There are 2-3 guys per team, and they essentially play a different sport than the rest of the team.

You can't ask a random cornerback to play QB, just as we'd never throw Schick in nets.

La Magica repped this.
  23. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  24. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

25. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Last year he was in early for pre season with just Bianda and Coric at the training pitch doing sprints. Says a lot about your 35 year old club legend, he certainly wasn't taking it easy. The Jedvaj incident was overblown.