Merrier as a Terrier: Danny Williams at Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 8, 2009.

1. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Daniel Williams in Germany (Update)

We need to have a coach nicknamed "The Header Beast."

2. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Dooley

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or Regis. Heck, hadn't Stewart lived his whole life in Holland?

4. Lombard

Lombard Member

Jul 6, 2007

I could be wrong, but I thought Stewart lived in Dallas for a few years in childhood, from 3-7 or so. But I think your general point is well-taken -- we've had some very successful, devoted USMNT players who hadn't spent any significant time in the US before being capped.

5. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I bet dollars to donuts that Daniel Williams speaks better English than Tom Dooley did when he got his first cap. You never know what can happen, and Dooley wraps himself in the flag now, literally (there used to be a photo, but I cannot find it now).

6. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, German already has a couple very good right backs in Andreas Beck at Hoffenheim and Christian Träsch playing for my boys. They're both only 22 and I would put them both above him at this point, so the U.S. has to look like the better bet for him right now.

7. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're saying he's worse than Trash? Ouch. Maybe we'll just stick with Spector and Simek.

8. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm assuming you're just making a pun based on how English speakers typically pronouce Träsch's name.

9. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

correct assumption. Loosen up a bit! nothing wrong with a decent pun!

Those of us not in the top 5 of the FIFA rankings need a reason to smile once in a blue moon.

10. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

The guy is causing quite a stir in the comments section of Ives' blog. A lot of people want him included in Ives' "Yanks Abroad" posts. Ives is telling everything to chill out because there are "holes" in his story and he won't be included until the facts are clear.

I find it funny though because Yanks-Abroad did an article on him pretty quick so they obviously must know he can play for the USA. They don't post articles about YA's until they have proven they want and are able to play for the USA. I tried to get them to cover Jon-Paul Pittman forever but they kept getting hung up on his England C call up.

11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ives is just making up the fact that there are "holes" because he didn't get the story first.

What holes? Williams was born to an American father and therefor is a US Citizen. He has yet to get a US passport but he can get one at the embassy. He played for germany's U15s but that doesn't preliminarily captie you at that age.

It's pretty clear cut.

Anyway, Yanks Abroad this morning also has an interview with Michael Hoyos. Maybe Ives will say there are holes there too.

12. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wholeheartedly agree with Ives that "until we know for sure what his full situation is I think people might want to chill out about him."

Jermaine Jones had more experience than this guy, and people were calmer for his switch to the US than this guy who just came out of the woodwork.

13. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

It looks like just some "just-in-case" cover for BB,etc. Many fans are looking for D-Williams to be called in. If he is not, We will have the "their were still some holes" preventing it from taken place.

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the interview covered all the holes. What other potential news items could there be that would make his situation any different?

15. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you about the "holes" -- it is pretty cut and dry. I'm just not ready to go gaga over a guy that just emerged and has 3 starts in the Bundesliga.

16. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010

I think it's because that one was presumed lost than cam eout of nowhere. Once he said he was coming Germnay would never take him again. This is one of those, OMG gag me with a spoon, situations. He can play for someone else, and proabably wants to, so we desperate to get him before he becomes to good for a US shirt.;)

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think serious posters are going gaga to the extent of demanding that he be given a chance to play his way onto the roster for 2010. I think what (rational) people are saying is that this kid has a tenuious connection to the USA and, since we have a match coming up soon near to him (and several RBs who can't play due to injuries), what's the downside to calling him in to practice with the team for a day or two and to let him know that we are thinking about him?

Let's face it-- Danny will most likely top out at a level less than sufficient for international soccer. That's true of the vast majority of professional soccer players. But what we have here is such a low cost opportunity to make an impression on a potential talent, why not? It's such an easy opportunity to take a look at a BL1 starter.

Who else are we going to call into the camp to play RB in the practices? Marvelle Wynne? Bob's seen enough of him already this year. Frankie Smiek? I would argue that there's room for both. Eric Lichaj? Every bit as speculative as Danny and less accomplished AND Bob's already had a look at him. Who else in Europe?

18. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not true. The only way we can "get" him before he becomes too good would be to (1) play him in one of our Group matches in S. Africa this June, (2) play him in the Gold Cup NEXT SUMMER or (3) play him in our next WC Qualifier, which will be Fall 2011, I believe.

(1) ain't goinng happen, no matter what anyone here says. (2) and (3) are a pretty long way off in the future.

It's amazing how black and white this situation appears to so many people here. This isn't an earth-shattering situation, it's just an opportunity to give a young player an invite to train with the USA team for a few days.

19. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

I really doubt Germany would try to get him back after a decision to play an A-friendly for the US. It's different with boys who played for other youth teams, but an adult who consciously made his decision - rather not.

20. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010

My humor must not be coming across. Gotta work on that.

21. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just get touchy when one of my club team's players is possibly criticized, especially with the way this season has gone.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Parkhurst's been playing right back.

I also see no harm in calling him up..........even if he doesn't play. In fact, I don't think there's any chance he'll play. But there's no harm bringing him in and being part of the group. Why have Wynne make the trip to sit waaaaay down on the bench? Bring in Spector and Simek. And maybe Spector will even start in central defense.

23. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nah, I saw the smiley and figured you were being funny. Problem is that there are some around here who aren't . . .

24. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ives got a hold of Daniel Williams's Kenyan birth certificate.

25. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

Than he is at least 25.