Merrier as a Terrier: Danny Williams at Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Re: Daniel Williams in Germany (Update)

Do your women dress like cakes? Maybe you have to bring some Schwarzwaldmädel cheerleaders to make him feel like home:
    [​IMG]

2. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005

No, but we name our top soccer player cakes, lannycakes.

Top that!

Now, lets get to the serious matter...

Cap Daniel Williams now. :D

3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A 20 year old left back starting in the Bundesliga. ;)

4. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I recall, Central Park in fall.
    How you tore your dress, what a mess, I confess.
    That's not all.
    Danke Schoen, Darling, Danke Schoen.

1 person likes this.
  5. seanie blue

seanie blue New Member

Jul 5, 2007

Of course Bradley should be fired for not taking notice of Williams and bringing him in. Because Bradley thinks he knows better. That's the number one problem with the American approach to sports management. It is absurd that young talent isn't recognized and given a spot under pressure. Playing El Salvador is a joke. Williams is a small bull, nasty disposition, the MNT needs a snarl in the back and instead it has a quartet of polite mice. Bring the kid in, tell him the role is his to lose, and see what happens. Bornstein? Give me a break. And play somebody out of position if you have to; what is this fascination with the quarterback is the quarterback and the left guard is the left guard. If the kid has talent and speed and touch, throw him in front of the lame sitting ducks we've got there now. Bocanegra is slower than WC standard, tho he's got a bit of an attitude. Onyewu will not be ready for the WC, no matter what happens to him physically; even the idea of allowing an idle player of half a year's standing a starting spot in the WC is 100% absurd, and Bradley should be fired if he honestly is thinking that way; add on top of that Onyewu's amazing give-away rate, and it's time to go with somebody smaller and quicker and savvier. Dolo, a pro. Spector's going good, finally. Let Williams get in there and challenge Spector, Simek and Demerit for a spot; if he's better, play him. We already know Bornstein won't cut it. Marshall has speed, but he's quiet. Parkhurst has the snarl but not the experience. If a BL manager thinks Williams is good enough to take on the best of the Germans, then he's certainly good enough to handle the patsies the USA team practices on. Why is Team USA so freaking conservative? Three or four NEW faces must step forward by July, or we're finishing dead f---ing last. Bradley is, literally, not major league, and should be coaching the Houston Dynamo or some other Danish League level dreck. What would Hiddink do? (I know I chase Bradley senior too much; but I'll defend the kid, who is the best thing on the USMNT, period.) Let's face it, we're still struggling to beat Honduras on a daily basis despite the fact we have twenty times as many kids playing organized soccer than all of central america put together. It's pathetic. It's unbelievable. Daniel Williams should be courted now, as he is coming out and proving himself, not when Bradley thinks it's the right time. Subotic goes to Chelsea perhaps, and he's got a sneer for Team USA permanently etched on his lips. Think Rossi doesn't wish he's in the USA line-up this summer? The senior management of the USMNT is famously doing it the way IT wants to, and it's not working until we beat Honduras 5-0 every single time out. This is a solid vote for Danny Williams, NOW.

6. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

These comments are better suited for the USMNT forum, which is there for national team related discussion. This isn't the forum to comment on Bradley, the USSF, or the state of US soccer. Thanks.

7. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So talking about black forest cake is ok then?

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Black forest cake can never be wrong

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A few interesting quotes from Williams:
    http://yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=5813

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

So...........we learned a couple of things there.

Most importantly.......that he doesn't have a US passport. Hopefully, he can take care of that soon.

All the ranting and raving above...........is a complete waste of energy. Come on people.............

11. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009

But we also learn that he's a citizen and that getting a passport is just a matter of going to Frankfurt. The citizenship is the important thing. The passport is a piece of paper. Only something like 35% of Americans have passports.

If Jones can be cleared by FIFA, then so can Williams.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, we just don't have that many fullbacks (or defenders in general) starting in top 5 leagues.

I count 4.

1. Bocanegra. LB for Rennes (and we may need him centrally).
    2. Cherundolo. RB fixture for Hannover and USMNT. He's hurt now.
    3. Spector. Versatile RB/LB/CB sometimes starter for West Ham. If Boca is a CB, could play LB.
    4. Williams.
    -----------------------------

I don't think I'm missing anyone, that is the list. No disrespect to guys like Castillo or Simek. But that is it. And with Gooch hurt, those are our only top 5 league players on defense, period. DeMerit is in the pop league (though he has EPL experience). Bornstein, Marshall, Conrad, Wynne, Pearce, Cameron and Alston are all MLS. Goodson is in Scandinavia.

Why not call him and at least take his temperature?

As for his future in Germany, a best XI selection bodes well. Whatever BB decides, the BS community should keep watching and rooting for him. I know I will.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

IMO, that interview changes things a bit as he has expressed an interest in the US. Yeah, it's caveated with the "if Germany doesn't call" but that's basically a given in cases like this.

But if he's interested, he should be looked at by Bradley. As others have stated, he's starting in the Bundislga. That should be worth a look on its own.

Even if he isn't ready to help us at this WC or the team feels it's too much of a risk to chemistry, at least you have him in the fold. Sure, he would not cap-tied but getting him in camp now can't hurt and would have him part of the mix for the Road to Brazil.

14. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's kind of ironic, but aside from box-to-box center mids, rightback is the position we have the most depth and talent at. Spector, Cherundolo, Simek, Lichaj, Alston. Wouldn't hurt to have more depth... I suppose Williams could slot into Dolo's spot when he retires.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

We might discover that with all this US-talk..........Germany might all of a sudden be interested.

We've heard repeatedly from him that he'd be interested in the US........if Germany doesn't want him. If he's looking good.........why wouldn't Germany check him out too? They do have some pretty good fullbacks, though. Lahm for instance (who can play both on the right or left).

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here

If Black Forest cake is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Of course, Dolo is only 30...............

He'll still be playing for us next cycle. He might not make it to the World Cup in 2014, but he's got some years left.

18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here

With the question marks at Right Mid (Dempsey possibly still injured; Dempsey to forward), I've felt like we should try Cherundolo at that right mid spot, if we could find a good replacement at right back.

Just comparing the players, w/o considering the loss of a right back: Holden vs. Rogers vs. Cherundolo . . . imo, Steve would be the best choice of the three - the guy is very skilled on the ball, combines well w/ teammates, crosses decently, and would defend the position better than the other guys. To me, the question is "what would it do to the D?"

(To me, this is on topic, as Williams would possibly allow us to replace a Bundesliga level right back w/ a Bundesliga level right back - though I know, this is premature and ridiculously speculative)

19. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

Löw doesn't like players who look better than him.
    And he won't bring any new players into the team before the WC. Probably Matthias Sammer will take the job in August and have different ideas and new players, but that's in the stars.

20. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So who will be the coach between June 30 and August?

21. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you read the article/interview the most important things, other than USMNT interest, is that of his conversion to right back. It's not his natural position and has only been playing there for a few weeks.

22. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

Horst Hrubesch.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, if he doesn't yet have a passport it may be tough for BB to name Williams to the roster for the Netherlands game.

But I find it really interesting that he is interested in playing for the USA despite having never once been to the USA

24. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know you don't want us talking about USA NT stuff, but Alston scratched from the USA Camp. Won't play against El Sav, no chance to impress, zero chance at making Netherlands friendly. Our hopes for Williams playing the friendly in March are increasing :D

25. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

cause his dad never abandoned his German mom? Only reason I can think of it, still has his American identity.