Merrier as a Terrier: Danny Williams at Huddersfield

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 8, 2009.

1. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Daniel Williams in Germany (Update)

I'd like to read this article. I googled him six times over and got nothing.

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is way far down the depth chart for that..

If the USA calls, Williams will play for the Stars and Stripes

3. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay

Seems like a reach to me. He too old to play for the German U20s. And in terms of playing in the full team, not only does he have quite a few players ahead of him at both the right wing and right back positions, but of the current pool of defenders, only two players at each position are above the age of 25. This means that at 21, he'd still have to wait quite a while before 2 or 3 or 4 of the more established players step back or have a serious dip in form.

Not to mention, when was the last time in the last 2 world cups has a player from Freiburg been called up to GNT duty.

My guess is that in about 3 years when he doesn't get a call up for the next round of WC quals, he'll put a Jermaine Jones and opt to play for us. Just hope he doesn't take as long to put on a shirt after he makes a switch.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

If you google "Daniel Williams Freiburg national team" the second link that pops up is to this thread.

The first is to Wikipedia.

So I tend to agree with you.

That said, I didn't google it in German because I'd have no clue what it said so maybe that's what El Michael saw.

Personally, I'd like to see Bradley give him a call just to let him know the US is interested.

5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

I believe There was an interview with him and he was asked which team? it went along the lines of "So far there is a question, but i feel very connected to Germany". Thats what a poster put on one of the soccer boards last week, but im not sure which one.

With that answer..........its looks 50/50 and the US has a good chance.

6. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He basically admitted that he doesn't really know and he's open to both ideas. And of course, if both called him tomorrow he'd take Germany, but they wont, if ever. It's direct translation is "so far there is a question. But I feel very connected to Germany".

So he basically said that he's still considering it, and if the US called tomorrow, I think he'd take it.

7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

The interview was early 2009. Maybe he is more commited to US now. We can only hope.

8. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So much has changed for him. I am not sure he even had a professional contract 6 months ago.

9. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010

Well, we have to be happy being the bridesmaids.

We aren't getting the Claudia Schiffer's, but we still do need a few Drew Beldsoe's. The Drew's may not be super hot but they can perform for us.
    Especially when they knwo they can't compete with the likes of Claudia.

It seems that we hae a few possible overseas full back options for the next cycle. Let's hope we get one and they can do a decent job for us.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

[​IMG]
    :eek:

11. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  12. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010

Damn. I meant Drew Barrymore!

I've got Brady leaving the Pats on my mind!

13. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haha, I was wondering what kind of weird analogy that was. I mean if I can't get Claudia Schiffer I'm not instantly going gay and settling for Drew Bledsoe.

14. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010

As I read this my wife has Genesis's "Land Of Confusion" playing in the background. Appropriate.

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

You gotta wonder if Rongen knew about this guy?

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

And why wouldn't he? Of course, he would. He's German, and has lived in Germany his whole life. We'd be second choice, but that's fine...........if he's good enough.

As to whether Rongen knew about him...........he probably did. But the kid hadn't done anything, ever.........to merit attention before now.

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's age-eligible for the next Olympic team, but that would be something of a waste if he's still a BL1 starter by that time. Would be a nice way to get him into a USA shirt, but European clubs really hate losing their players to that competition.

Anyway, we've a camp coming up in March in Holland. Anyone want to take bets that Daniel gets a call there, just to take a look into the system? 'Dolo will not be back on the field by then, so Danny can take his place in practice.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

I'll bet "no."

Just not Bob's style.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I agree.

Although I do recall that Bob called up Steve Purdy once as roster fodder for a Euro-friendly. And Williams is farther along than Purdy.

But that wasn't the last FIFA date prior to the World Cup. The Holland game will be as close to the "A" roster as is available.

20. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010

The Steve Purdy El Salvador won't even call up?

The Steve Purdy who was signed by 1860, thus making him good enough for the US squad?

When I think about some of the threads and comments way after the fact it does make for great BS reading.

Every time a players washes out after signing in Europe somehwere it should be mandatory to bring back the old thread and see the proclamations ring out, and who did the ringing.

Peter P, Purdy who da hell are ya?!

21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kicker

Pouplin (3) - Williams (3,5) , Toprak (4) , Butscher (4) , Bastians (4,5) - Schuster (4) , Flum (4) - D.-R. Cha (4) , Makiadi (4) - Cissé (3,5) , Idrissou (4)

22. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bundesliga+Olympics? Sadly that won't happen.

23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Than he should resign, because it goes beyond just his term as USMNT coach. If we make an attempt early to get him and he commites, thats a RB for the next decade. Plus, He is impressing vs Bayer Leverkusen and Schalke at 20. Very mature as a player for his age.

After watching players skip the US, we have a player who says "so far, there is a question"............probally a sign of first come....first serve.

24. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you seriously saying Bradley should resign if he doesn't call Williams to the roster for the Netherlands game?

I would like to see Williams be called into the US team next month but I can understand if he doesn't either.

Williams is not going to make the 2010 World Cup team and this is the last FIFA date before the World Cup roster is named. There isn't even going to be any real camp.. probably just a day's practice before the game.

There is a time to think about the future but now is a time to think about the present.

If USSF is interested in Williams, a phone call and continued conversations (similar to what was done with Torres) should do the trick.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Yes that Steve Purdy........currently playing for FC Dallas.

He was just there to make up the numbers for a friendly. The game was in Europe, and the MLS season was ongoing. Bob didn't want to call in an MLS player & have him fly over to sit waaaaaay down on the bench. So he decided to let Purdy come in.

I wouldn't have a problem if Bob wants to do that with Daniel, but he's not going to play against Holland. Not even the slightest chance. It's our last FIFA date before the WC, and Bob is going to use this as a match for our "A" team.......not an experimenting with new players match.

Do people think he'd be at right back or right midfield for the USMNT?