Dan Gargan and a Box of Crayons: The Marketing and PR Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by barroldinho, Aug 1, 2014.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ironically, if there's one thing you couldn't accuse the 1996 jerseys of, it was not being unique.

Thankfully, I didn't have the internet, a connection to the US, or good enough channel 5 reception to see the jerseys clearly during games. Otherwise, the trauma of having those things associated with my favourite sport...

...well let's just say, it may have hit me hard enough that today, I'd be writing a blog entitled "barroldinho's Blog o' Dressage".

TrickHog repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

They have not aged well. Except for ours which rocks.

Could they BE any more 90's?

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’ve probably told this story once too often, but my junior year at college we had one of the chief creators for Nike’s contribution come talk about launch of the uniforms. The only three things I remember from that was him being overly proud of the LA in the name gaLAxy, being overly proud of making the connection there were lots of stars in LA and lots of stars in a galaxy and outright calling the kits made by the other companies terrible. Even back then I was rolling my eyes and thinking “glass houses”

ProudNatRN, mbar and TrickHog repped this.
  4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dig them. As a retro jersey they are very cool.

Embrace the weirdness of MLS.

*Side note cause of all of MLS crazy rules its sometimes hard to explain to non MLS followers. Well trying to explain how Champions League knock out series works with 2 legs and away goals to a no soccer follower is just as strange.

napper and The Cadaver repped this.
  5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is what the people in Bird Box were seeing.

(Yes, I've used this reference several times and yes, the one where I said that they were seeing Eric Wynalda's smug expression after winning the Club World Cup with LV Lights, and that Tom Hollander's character was loosely based on Ted Westervelt, was better... but deal lord, it just works for so many different scenarios!)

6. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I love the stripped jerseys from the 97 season? 98? I’d pay a lot of money for one.

7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see them on eBay a fair bit.

8. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’ll keep an eye out! Recently saw a picture of BJIV in one and it looks amazing. Would love if the Galaxy did a retro version of it. No Herbalife, just the Galaxy written across the jersey.

mbar repped this.
  9. Galaxy Steve

Galaxy Steve Member

Jun 15, 2007
    PASADENA AREA
    Wonder when AEG will change the Stadium Sign at the 91 and Avalon...Still says StubHub Center...

barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  10. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I noticed that the other day too. Given that the season starts next week you'd think it should happen in short order. I would be less than amused if I were the sponsor.

Galaxy Steve and TrickHog repped this.
  11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of cool stuff going on 'round the city in preparation for the home opener. Sounds pretty awesome, except for this thing where we keep trying to make David Beckham out to be a club legend:

https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2019/...rogramming-buildup-2019-opening-match-march-2

This campaign trades on LA Galaxy history (the set of events is being called "#since96 week) but why re-write it to make it seem like David Beckham, who didn't even make 100 appearances for this club, is a much more important figure in that history than he is? This is stupid corporate gas-lighting and anyone who's really been around that long knows that and would surely rather see REAL legends being honored. So I don't understand who this is for. It doesn't feel like it's for me or any other long-term fan of the Galaxy.

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I REALLY hate the statue thing for a variety of reasons.

skydog, napper, rokstedy and 3 others repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. We are honoring our MOST FAMOUS player and one of the two Galaxy players who was most influential on the league, we aren't honoring the most legendary Galaxy player (I'd list Beckham at number 5, after Landon, Cobi, Cien and Danny Pena. Keane is 6th.)

Galaxy Steve repped this.
  13. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    So looking at this https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2019/...h-sports-park-announce-creation-legends-plaza it seems the Legends Park is going to have multiple statues maybe Beck’s is the first? As a Galaxy fan Beckham shouldn’t be the first, but he belongs there. Understanding there are outside considerations I get it why he’s first.

GalaxyOne and TrickHog repped this.
  14. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Maybe next to Beckham's statue there will be a statue of Landon wagging a finger and calling him out with these words on a bronze plaque:

"Maybe he's not a leader, maybe he's not a captain. Fair enough. But at a minimum you should bust your ass every day. I don't think that's too much for us to expect. But that hasn't happened."​

15. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hoping for a stature of Landon drinking out of a water fountain :laugh:

ShortyMac, Capt.Tsubasa, skydog and 11 others repped this.
  16. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Don’t mind the Beckham statue as long as our club legends get their due. Cien, Cobi, LD all need to be immortalized. I know we have the plaques around the stadium but there needs to be more.

My wife is already talking about rubbing the beckham statues butt for good luck before every game :p

17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The one alongside the 405 also still says Stubhub.

TrickHog repped this.
  18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    6:15pm, Saturday March 2nd:

Beirut: "I think that's enough luck... the game's nearly over..."
    Mrs Beirut: "Didn't you say that we still had Skjelvik?"
    Beirut: "Move over, I'll get the other cheek!"

StillKickin, skydog, rokstedy and 8 others repped this.
  19. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’ll do whatever it takes to get the 6th cup!! :laugh:

barroldinho, rokstedy, shelbo and 5 others repped this.
  20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the considerations are that the Galaxy want to make this an international event by milking every last ounce from the Beckham Brand before it inevitably comes to be associated with a different, competing MLS team. I'm not making the case that DB23 doesn't deserve it or someone else does; in fact, I think it's early to start handing out statues, let alone whole plazas full of em. My issue is this event was not about giving fans and the community an opportunity to celebrate a legend, it's a cynical and thirsty attempt of a team that has fallen from grace to steal relevance by clinging desperately to Beckham's coattails, when even he's moved on.

Because clearly, unveiling a David Beckham statue could not have been the best answer to the FO sitting down and asking "Hey, guys -- what would our fans really appreciate going into this season? It's been rough on them, let's throw 'em a bone." In many ways, the Beckham signing was a sideshow the likes of which I'd hoped we'd be beyond having to endure in 2019, yet here we are.

barroldinho repped this.
  21. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that the star players from the teams that won 3 Cups in 4 years should be the most appropriate candidates for legendary status. So that would be Becks, Donovan and Keane (and especially Donovan and Keane who were around for all 3). That kind of successful run will probably not happen in LA for the next 50 years, if ever. I guess Cobi and Cien would qualify in the "first" championship category. So using that logic, in my book, Donovan should be at the very top, then Keane, Becks, Cobi and Cien after him, maybe not in that particular order.

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is where the Beckham statue gets tricky.

LD belongs. Keane has an argument for that era... but IMO so does Juninho. He was integral to that midfield & when he had an off-game or was out, we often looked the worse for it. Even Beckham himself highlighted how essential he was.

But then that's also an argument for Omar Gonzalez. We were horrible during his 2012 ACL injury but were a juggernaut after he returned.

This is why sports statues are a rarity, set aside for irrefutable legends that were integral to a golden era.

Unless the bar is set high, you could have a whole roster out there.

StillKickin, hav77, MPNumber9 and 2 others repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #2098 skydog, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Keane has to be further up there in my opinion. His 83 goals and 45 assists in 119 regular season starts, a remarkable production rate of 1.07 g+a/gm sustained over five seasons. Other MLS players have had this kind of production for a year or two, but no one has sustained this production rate for this long. Maybe even more impressive is his 17 g+a in 17 playoff games and his leading us to 3 of our five MLS Cups!. So I would put Keane waaay ahead of Juninho and Omar. Don't get me wrong - Juninho and Omar were key players and two of by personal favorites (up there with AJ). But Keane's production was at a whole 'nother level and I would consider him the 2nd best DP in MLS history. You can guess who is first.

Berks, hav77, GalaxyOne and 3 others repped this.
  24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair point. I understated Keane a little.

However, I do hold Juninho as vital while he was here.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Don't disagree with that at all. Omar as well.

And I wasn't just picking at your ordering in particular. I just think Keane was a bit more amazing than he is generally given credit for. It's easy to forget how dominant he was and how big he was in the three MLS Cups we won from 2011-2014. Over his four fully healthy seasons (starting 22 to 28 games) Keane produced (using 2pts for goal, 1 pt for assist):

2012: 41 pts on 16 goals, 9 assists. Playoffs: 6 games, 6 goals, 1 assist.*
    2013: 43 pts on 16 goals, 11 assists. Playoffs: 2 games, 0 goals, 1 assist.
    2014: 52 pts on 19 goals, 14 assists. Playoffs: 5 games, 2 goals, 3 assist.*
    2015: 48 pts on 20 goals, 8 assists. Playoffs: 1 game, 0 goals, 0 assist.
    *Won MLS Cup

And in 2011, Keane's first season he had 'only' 5 g+a in 7 starts (3 reg season, 4 playoff). Of course one of those was the game-winning assist in the MLS Cup. :):):)

I think Giovinco is Keane's only competitor in terms of offensive production over an extended time. The Mighty Ant offensive point totals were 58(!), 49, 38, and 41 in his four year MLS career.

hav77 repped this.