Dan Borislow - magicJackass

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, May 1, 2011.

1. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of using the Breakers/magicJack game thread to kick holes in the clown that is Dan Borislow I think he deserves his own thread...

Feel free to post articles about the magicMan here...

magicJack plays host to Philadelphia Sunday in women's soccer

Owner Borislow takes an active role in the team

April 29, 2011|By Jeff Rusnak, Sun Sentinel correspondent

Dan Borislow's ownership of the Women's Professional Soccer team magicJack continues to defy convention in virtually all respects, including in the area of coaching.

As he did in last week's season opener at FAU, Borislow will watch Sunday's 4 p.m. home match against Philadelphia from the team bench, alongside the players and head coach Mike Lyons. And he's not there as a mere observer.

"I'm involved with everything," said Borislow, who also serves as a one-man front office for magicJack. "I have input on every part of the team."

That means, Borislow confirmed, choosing the starting lineup, the substitutes and even the team's attack-minded 3-4-3 formation, which employs just three defenders instead of four.

Borislow also determined the width of the FAU pitch, which in magicJack's case is just 63 yards. A standard field is 70 to 75 yards. Borislow said the field is unusually narrow because of logistical challenges at FAU, not to cut down on the space magicJack's three defenders have to cover.

So Mike Lyons is the assistant coach...

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/soccer/sfl-magicjack-womens-soccer-0501,0,3952005.story

By Jeff Rusnak
    Sun Sentinel Correspondent

The crowd was smaller, the field was slightly wider, but the result was the same for the magicJack women's team Sunday afternoon at FAU's soccer field.

One week after a season-opening win in its Women's Professional Soccer debut, magicJack made it two straight with a 2-1 defeat of the Philadelphia Independence before about 500 fans.

Attempts to speak to the magicJack principals involved in the win -- Wambach, DeVanna and head coach Mike Lyons -- were denied by the team's owner, Dan Borislow, who violated league policy in preventing postgame interviews.

"It is league policy that any request to speak to players after a game be met by the team," WPS spokeswoman Crystal Fukumoto said.

So what will WPS do about it???

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the guy apparently wants to run everything, he should go start his own league.

I mean, by and large, WPS post-game interviews are about as benign as they can possibly be. What could he possibly be afraid of his players saying?

What's next? Putting up applause signs for the fans and banishing them from the game if they don't cheer when they're supposed to?

As far as WPS goes, this is a good test for them. If they want Borislow to run the league, then they will do nothing. If they want this to be a PROFESSIONAL league, then they will tell him that either starts following league rules or else fines or worse will leveed.

4. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe the field is smaller to get more people sitting on the sidelines ?

noticed he lost 200 plus or minus some in attendance

considering none of his matches will be in FSC, we can't judge the play on the smaller field as well as the other pitches

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    -200 fans = a 4PM game in FL = Too Hot!

I'm in LA, would think twice about sitting out 2 hrs in this weather. Games should start at 6-7PM in the south.

He added back 5 yds to the field so they are right round 70 yds now.

Agreed, if you saw the photos, the sideline room is needed for the kids seating. even with the space, they were right up on the field.

as far as controlling him, doesn't that go thru Fitz and the committee? i have no clue what the league president does anymore.

I saw players talking to fans and kids.

Hahaha, he is blacking out the media. if they are doing stuff to get fans in the stands, then so be it. Yeah, ESPNW gives the WPS some coverage on that BLOG (it's not really a static site) but they won't give them a visible hyperlink on the main site. FSC web site also could do a better job at exposing the WPS' location on the site.

Anyway, Crazy as a fox or crazier than a fox owner. As i said, he treats his players right.

It's ashame they didnt play 1/2 their games in the Plex infront of 3500-4000 fans. That's a damn good team, just for 1000 people to see live.

As loved as WNY is, i'm not sure they are that much better than MJ. I didn't think you could go with a backline of 3 and keep A-Rod and Kai in check on those runs. Kai got taken out in the 2nd half and I'm not sure I saw a-rod's name 2 times with shots on goal after that. then again, they got a quick one on hope and she probably closed the door on them the rest of the match.

Go Press!
    [​IMG]

6. WiminzSoccerRocks

Jun 15, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the league has bigger things to worry about- like their existence. Boston attendance was lousy yesterday, WNY lousy the day before, the game reported here was lousy. I hate to say it but I think this league is doomed.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    REVS FAN 1,

You guys play MagicJack on June 5th at home.

I assume you guys will be preparing a nice set of chants and songs for the "welcoming" of this guy to Boston.

8. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Seen on the Equalizer Soccer live blog chat:

http://www.equalizersoccer.com/2011/05/01/atlanta-beat-v-western-new-york-flash-live-blog/

9. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh for sure! Unfortunately the US players will be in Jersey for their send off game...I'd have liked to get a few shots in on Hope before she leaves...

But I'm sure Danny Boy will keep us busy!:D

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can't wait til the game in ATL, got my tickets.

Go Press!

11. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting tweet from Charlie Naimo:

CharlieNaimo charlie naimo
    Amazing how one person can ruin a league when everyone thinks he saved it... Hmmm. Good bye to being a part of a TEAM. Sad

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, the espnW blogs are part of their WWC coverage. ESPN paid a lot of money for the tv rights (mostly to get the mens games but the women's games are part of the package). They want to make sure people watch their product (and the ads that will be part of that package).

13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
  14. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well IIRC he's the coach of his daughters U13 club team..

15. TheStatsGuy

TheStatsGuy Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Somewhere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone should send him out for some orange slices and those little igloo sugar drinks(can't remember the name of them) and make sure he doesn't come back. :rolleyes: :mad:

16. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God for Dan Borislow. If not for him, there would be no activity at all on the BREAKERS boards. This is so much better than debating who should start for our team, who had a good game, who sucked, whether or not legendarycoachtonydiccico should be fired or made a saint, what formation they should play.

This is like just so like way much better than like the meaningless drivel we used to post.

I miss the Hope-Hate.

17. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Have you seen the re-launch? Went up late last week.

18. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Apparently, there's been a certain amount of controversy over Borislow and his Palm Beach MagicJacks 95/96 girls soccer team. I never knew that the world of youth travel team soccer was so messed up. The below comes from various anonymous posters, so take it with a grain of salt. (I've tried to omit or redact stuff about an innocent-party family member, though their involvement with the team makes it somewhat difficult.)

http://www.talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=9630
    There's a whole lot more stuff available. I might post more as time permits.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  20. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    what a mess; thanks for posting.

I liked "Dan has also recently bought the U.S. National Women's team." :eek: It's actually kinda true with regards to WPS from the looks of it - he's holding them hostage. The league made a deal with the devil. The only thing we can hope for is several more teams wanting in next season so we can be rid of him.

21. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that about sums it up eh?

:D

22. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Do so. That's a pretty funny read. How can people not like (in a way people like to dislike al davis of the raiders) this guy? He's a shot of drama the WPS needed.

Get a couple teams in the west, and have Sahlen and this guy with mega loaded teams.

WPS has a nice future if fans just show up at the games.

23. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    For the life of me I can't figure out where this guy gets all his money. Sure, I've heard of the magicjack and every review has been good. But, I don't know a single soul who uses it. Did that many people really buy it?

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He made over 100M from a selllout to AOL during the tech boom, made more money off of Hedge Fund investments. in 2009 jack sales were over 100M. if i'm correct what i saw, he has sold over 3M units plus revenues from $20-
    $90 plans. On top of that he holds something like 240M of YMAX stocks. oh, he did pick up a couple of million paying himself via his own foundation. hate him or dislike him, it doesn't matter, just keep the club going in Miami.

Go Press!

[​IMG]

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    newsouth,

It has nothing to do with hate him or love him. Sure, he can do whatever he wants with his team in South Florida as far as inside the team stuff. But his team is still a member of a league that has other members and other investors and other millionaires. He can't just do whatever he wants without the fabric that holds the league together being severly damaged.

Right now the league has the minimum teams allowed, six. The other owners may have to put up with his sh_t for now because they have all put down escrow for this year.
    But after this season, if these shenanigans continue, I don't blame the other owners with saying, "I don't need this sh_t!. I'm losing money as it is and now I have to put up with this guys stupidity? F__k that, I'm out!"

Whether he's good or bad for the league in the long term, we still have to see.