Dallas Cup

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by theodore, Mar 2, 2008.

1. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
  2. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno theo, none of the players will be proven international goal-scorers, so I don't see why we should care... ;)

3. JaySlick

JaySlick New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Arlington
    shoot, last year there was a kid name guerrerro who was playing left wing for real madrid. he was 16 and looked like he would kick serious butt in the MLS.

4. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I know Parrot is just messing with me, but you actually do see emerging international goal scorers at this tournament. Who was the kid that plays for the Israeli National team who was on the EPL feeder team that played Sao Paulo in one of the game? As well, the Italian-American kid Rossi also played last year w/ Man U, I think he is now at Villarreal? Before that Crouch and Beckham also played in the Dallas Cup.

These kids are way out of our price range. But, it is very cool too see them up close and competing against our own local kids.

5. JaySlick

JaySlick New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Arlington
    Ben Sahar is the Chelsea Isreali kid who played last year and has made starts for their EPL team. Im hoping to see Paul Anderson for Liverpool this year, he's a highly thought of kid in england.

6. SoccerX

SoccerX Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Republic of Texas
    I was out at PHP this morning. The fields look like crap. Waaaaay overused.

Last year at Dallas Cup they looked great.

Whoever is in charge of scheduling, field maintainance, etc. needs a talking to.

7. FC Dizzle

FC Dizzle Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think Michael Owen has played in it as well.

8. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raul for Madrid played in the DC too.

9. Chester_Spankington

Chester_Spankington New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Every game I've seen of the super group has been awesome, especially that year when Adu was with the US u-17s playing some of the best games I've seen live. Adu was a complete beast in that tournament and put on some amazing performances. Too bad that was before it was at PHP, I forget what the stadium the supergroup was in back then but it wasn't the best - but no doubt good as far as High School setups go

10. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I knocked the crap out of Becks at the DC...he didn't even have any tats yet. I gave him his first with a copa mundial size 9.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking over the schedule, the only super group games at PHP are the few in the stadium, all the others are at Richland. Was that the case last year?

12. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    little disappointed with the international participation. would like to seen more european teams

13. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no it wasn't.

I would guess it's because of the condition of the PHP fields.

14. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Wow, I'm surprised they would go back to Richland. Not only are the fields poor but it is a parking disaster.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richland's fields are presently better than PHP. It wasn't this way a few years ago but PHP has taken games and overuse away from Richland while PHP's fields have had too many leagues and tournaments on them including recently the new academy league quarterly tournament when league games in the Dallas area were cancelled the same weekend. You are correct about parking. If they would just build a road around the southern edge of the property it would help tremendously (would require a bridge and $$$).

16. tornado fan

tornado fan Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Super Group
    Europe - 5
    Latin America - 4
    USA/Canada - 2
    Asia - 1

Is more than 40% in the Super Group not enough?

17. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    want to compare from previous years?

DC as a whole

18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Liverpool will be there, and thats all that matters....:p

19. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

I've never had a problem finding a place there. If it is really really full, takes about 10 minutes.

A parking disaster=absolutely no place to park or
    = more than half an hour to exit the parking.

In any case, I would take the 10 minute drive to Richland over the 50 minute drive to PHP in a heartbeat.

20. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    The field situation at PHP shows they just don't know what they are doing as a business. How could they possibly think that their fields could take that much usage and not suffer? Common sense would explain that. Classic league + Lake Highlands + Frisco would be too much, but then they add in a bunch of other leagues? There are way too many partners signed up to use that field, which tells me they got greedy and went for the cash grab, and once again are left with egg on their face. Sad.

21. OffToGermany

OffToGermany New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Have you been to Richland lately? The fields are absolutely gorgeous right now. Even the goalmouths are solid grass.

Night and day compared to PHP.

22. JaySlick

JaySlick New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Arlington
    FWIW if anyone responsible for the Dallas Cup and PHP reads this i wanna say, i am very disappointed with the condition of the fields for what is considered a world class tournament. it is totally unacceptable and shows poorly on both City and Club. Showing poorly on an international level effects the City of Frisco, FC Dallas, and the City of Dallas on a global scale. This cannot happen ever again.

Signed

Jason

23. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I'd be interested in a detailed, groundskeeper-oriented, even, report on what went wrong w/ the tournament fields at PHP complex.

besides I guess just that matches were played on it when it was soaked. If that's the whole reason, then "never mind"

I'm not mad or anything, it's just that I live in the middle of a bermuda grass ["coastal" variety] field and maybe I would learn something.

I thought they went to great trouble and expense with the subsoil for drainage and everything in 2004/2005

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.3rddegree.net/2008/03/phps-fields-are-looking-pretty-rough/
    They must have the groundkeepers' interns responsible for the other fields at PHP.

25. Quills

Quills Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Richardson
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than overuse, I think this is a big reason for the decline (rather than drainage problems)...

From Buzz's report
    Is there a way to treat the retention ponds to remove/neutralize the chemicals?