Dallas anyone??

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Theopisa, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone making the Dallas road trip on July 16?

I am tempted since my wife and kids will in Italy and it would be a perfect occasion not to be blamed for "not spending time with your family" etc etc blablablapopopopo.

2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hardcore fans!!!

3. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    was going to, R/t for 340 but looks like Im closing on the new house that weekend now

4. StagsUnited72

StagsUnited72 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    I may be there. This is one of the roadtrips we haven't done b/c it usually doesn't work out.

5. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    this is tempting now

6. StagsUnited72

StagsUnited72 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    Only if the airfare drops.....

7. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Any news from anyone?? I am quite positive, I'd just like to know if there'll be somebody else, if/when he's coming/returing etc.

8. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    airfare about 350 :/ It's one of stadiums I have to still see. Good thing you live near so I can drop off banner :p

9. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It has to fit in my pocket :D

10. StagsUnited72

StagsUnited72 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    JC and I will be at the match. I am talking to him today about where we want to sit. The prelim discussion was to get tickets behind the team bench.

11. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sent you a PM, awaiting for your answer, thanks!

12. Austin DCU fan

Austin DCU fan New Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    finally the thread and posts I have been looking for. I'm thinking of making the drive up from Austin. It's been three years since I lived in DC, but two solid years of barra membership before that still beats in me somewhere

13. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    I think I talked my wife into driving up from San Antonio to see the team play.
    So is there a consensus on where we are sitting?
    We are bringing three younguns so I'd prefer sitting somewhere with friendlies on the off chance there is any trouble.
    Of course we could probably pick just about anywhere and be sitting by ourselves. :p

14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Stagsunited72 and his friend are going, then I have another friend who's ging to be there with his wife, but they also have a small child so not sure where they're going to sit (unless they leave him with the inlaws)

I have a medical visit tomorrow morning, then I'll make up my mind. I hate when people do all the big talk and then nothing, and I hate even more when I have to do it myself. But two things came up completely unexpected so my actual possibility of being there are really slim...

15. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    All right, I'll keep an eye out, worst case I'll just pick somewhere away from 120 and 121 which appear to be their supporter sections.
    Good luck today, hope everything works out for you.

16. BlackjackXXI

BlackjackXXI Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas fan here. We're a pretty friendly bunch, but I can't make promises for the SS section. They may not have the huge numbers as other places, but they are fiercely loyal.

Also take into account that if you plan on getting there early, the East and South sides are in the sun. Other than that, not a bad seat in the house.

17. StagsUnited72

StagsUnited72 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    Got notifiied about an hour ago my flight tomorrow morning was cancelled for maintenance, spent about 30 minutes on the phone with the airline, finding new routing to get me to Dallas for the match, and thanks to UA, I will still be getting into Dallas tomorrow about the same time I was originally in stead of Sunday morning. phhhhh......

18. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    A couple thoughts on attending last night. I had been to Pizza Hut park before for an MLS Cup (the Dynamos over the a Revs team that had the Cup sewn up before blowing the lead in regulation) but had never seen DCU there before last night. The game notwithstanding, I am glad I made the trip, if only to add another away game notch to my belt.

I drove up from a Hill Country town near San Antonio -- approximately 270 miles each way, on a drive that went through Austin, Georgetown, Waco, Hillsboro, and Waxahachie before getting to Dallas. There is not much to see on the drive. Frisco, TX, is considerably north of Dallas, so you have to drive fully through the city to get to the game. Dallas seems like a pleasant enough place (I've spent very little time there in the past), at least as can be discerned from the North Dallas Tollway. Frisco is a real hike from downtown Dallas. It's out in the middle of nowhere. The stadium is nice enough, if underwhelming. The crowd was quite small, and, to be honest, it felt like a not-all-that-well-attended game in Germantown. The seats are all pretty close to the field. It was fairly quiet. I could clearly hear Hamid's and Hartman's instructions to the defenders each half they were on my end.

The nice thing about Frisco is that there is a hotel about 500 yards from the stadium, which is where we stayed. Plus there are several restaurants/bars in the vicinity. That allowed me to get good and plastered, starting well before the game in the luxury of the airconditioned TexMex cantina. Beer lines at PHP are very short, partly because there were few fans, and partly because there are adequate concessions. The service is not nearly as dreadful as at RFK, and the workers not nearly so surly. So that was pleasant. Also, the Burns have cheerleaders who are unbelievably hot. They roam the concourses a lot. That was pleasant too. Ticket prices are a bit too high, which may help explain the crowds they draw. Or maybe it doesn't. But they were higher than I wanted to pay.

The game itself was utterly forgettable, which is good, because what little I recall was terrible.

All in all it was pleasant evening, but there is nothing about the PHP experience which suggests that the moniker "Major League Soccer" is terribly accurate. It really does seem pretty minor league, as befits the woeful history of the franchise. The fans appear to be about the meekest I've ever encountered in any MLS venue. That's a charitable description. My buddy said it was the saddest-sack group he's ever seen -- which is the state that 15 years of misery can bring you to.

One real sour note (other than the game, which I concede would have been worse if we had lost as we deserved). The outside of PHP has a big blown-up photo of the 97 US Open Cup champs celebrating. I looked closely but could not see referee Rich Grady in the mix whopping it up. I figure they photoshopped him out of that.

I saw only four DCU shirts (not counting one from a team staffer). I saw exactly two Dallas Burn shirts -- most folks apparently focusing on the current FCness and not on the history they've ditched. I was hoping to see an Ariel Graziani shirt but did not.

Brek Shea sold me meth in the parking lot after the game.

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Boy's gotta eat, right? I mean $133K only goes so far on hair products.

Thx,

Jay!

20. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Two other small items:

1) the souvenir cups feature the supposedly heroic story of the Burn winning the western conference championship last year. They are also flimsier than a wax paper cup, and the ink half came off when I just ran them through the dishwasher.

2) The men's rooms are pleasantly airconditioned, as opposed to RFK where they are even hotter, more humid, and more disgusting than outside. Also, each urinal features a miniature soccer goal with a tiny ball to try to shoot at with your stream. The idea is to keep people's shots on target, so to speak. Ingenious.

21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks for the report, I would have liked to be there...

22. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    My experience wasn't too dissimilar from yours.
    We stayed outside of town and were able to experience the lovely construction traffic coming and going on the Dallas Tollway.
    I imagine being so far away from Dallas, the construction traffic, ticket prices, and beer prices have a lot to do with their attendance issues.
    I've been to PHP 3 times in several years now and they've had road construction every time.
    I imagine they may be finished by the time the US hosts a World Cup.
    We were seated midfield on the sunny side of the stadium and from what I could tell their fans consisted of a bunch of kids behind us, a small group on the stage I mean beer garden and a small group of supporters at the opposite goal.

As far as other DC supporters I saw probably 20 or so I would guess. There was a couple seated next to us before they got booted for being in the wrong section. There was a few up front row next section over. There was a couple of La Barra Brava at midfield on the shady side and there was a pocket of DC fans near their supporter section so not bad I don't think.

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I saw some DCU flags on camera side in first raw, was that you guys? :)

24. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Not me unless by flags you mean the 1, 2 or 4 year olds we had with us. I don't recall waving them around too much though. :p
    It sounds like the group I saw on the same side as me toward their supporters section. Maybe 2 sections from the corner.

25. StagsUnited72

StagsUnited72 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD
    Those where the DC United supporters that live in Texas now. Pops met them last year. They started tailgating at 2pm. JC and I chatted with time briefly before heading to a local bar for a bit. When the team bus arrived CD9 went over and visited with them.