Dallas Acquires "Toni" Nhleko

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Jun 10, 2003.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/dal0610nhleko.html

2. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    how the hell do ya get klecko out of nhleko? that's even worse than Shah-day out of Sade. Oye!

I guess this means adios cerritos pretty soon.

the Burn waived midfielder Carl Bussey
    Alas, the locker room foil and deering's bud is gone.

3. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I wonder what, if anything, this says about Eddie Johnson's future.

4. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Dallas Acquires "Toni" Nhleko

Easy. His native language has a sound that doesn't exist in any Euro languages. Klecko is the closest approximation.

Try saying N-H-leko. To my ear, I end up with something close to Klecko.

Just a guess from someone that doesn't know a word of Swahili or whatever of the many S. Af. languages his name might inhabit.

5. angstchild

angstchild New Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Tracy, CA
    I wonder what, if anything, this says about Carl Bussey's future.

Poor guy was injured and never had a fair shake. International players +1, domestic players -1.

6. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    the type of sound in his name is called a glottal stop.

7. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    Re: Re: Re: Dallas Acquires "Toni" Nhleko

Purely as a GI Joe "knowing is half the battle" factoid:

Swahili isn't spoken in South Africa--that's further north. The two biggest African languages are Xhosa and Zulu, but the country has eleven official languages, including English and Afrikaans.

8. cafrine

cafrine New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    is GONE
    Never had a fair shake? He simply fell off the depth chart when Phil Salyer had a good showing against DC. Salyer is a domestic player as well, by the way, but don't let facts get in the way of your posts.
    I'd be surprised if Bussey doesn't get picked up by someone, anyway. San jose?

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Man, I hope so. We could use a speedy defender in SJ.

Does anyone in Dallas see this as a bit of a panic move? I mean, you've had trialist after trialist in town, and then you pick up a guy that you've never scrimmaged with? Are you sure about his attitude? Work rate? Rumors of him being homesick?

10. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Posts from fans of his team in Norway are NOT positive and they say he's a bit goofy as well. Also, that he can only go about 30 minutes before he tires out.

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may come as a shock, but staying healthy is something coaches appreciate from players. I don't buy that as an excuse. It's not like he got to the team last week, got hurt and they cut him. They've had plenty of training sessions to know what he offers.

12. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't exactly call it desperation. It's not even that much of a gamble.

It is after all, just a loan deal. If he works out and scores some goals, great, buy him. If not, send him home in December and you don't have to worry about his salary for next season.

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was wondering the same thing. Is he really in Jeffries dog house this year? Why not give him a chance. Then again I have only watched about 1/2 hour of Burn games this year so maybe he has.

14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

How much did Dallas spend in bringing trialists in? I must of read of more then a dozen guys getting tryouts as striker. Then all of a sudden, you take a guy on loan based on word of mouth and resume? That strikes me as somewhat odd.

This guy could show up in TERRIBLE shape. Then what? You released Bussey for no reason.....

Has anyone even evaluated his health? Don't players have to go through a physical before they're signed?

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Say what you will about the guy but he did name his kid Bongi:D

16. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There haven't really been waves and waves of trialists. And so what if there have been? Trialists don't cost you anything.

I'm assuming he'll go through a physical before the deal is finalized, but even if he fails, it's not that much of a loss.

Carl Bussey was the backup to the backup at right back. And the Burn still own his MLS rights.

And, for whoever was asking, this is EJ's history with Burn so far in 2003:

-gets hurt in preseason
    -goes on preseason trip to Chile, but just rehabs
    -starts practicing with team week before home opener
    -comes in around the 80 minute of home opener, plays entire ovetime in 1-1 draw
    -week off for Burn
    -starts vs. Revs in week 3. Goes at 70-75. Draws a red card on Daouda Kante, active, relatively dangerous. His best game of the year, imo.
    -starts vs. DC in week 4. As dangerous as any other Burn forward. I think he hit the crossbar with a header. Subbed out around 70th minute.
    -starts vs. KC in week 5. Subbed out at halftime, in what was, by most accounts a terrible performance. Whether it's because he hurt his hamstring on because he just quit is subject to who's telling the story.
    -now scoring highlight reel goals in practice, hasn't seen any game time since

I'd say he's had a fair shot to make the position his own this year.

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Who do you think pays for the plane tickets and hotel rooms? The trialist himself? I wouldn't be surprised if the Burn have spent more on trialists this year then they pay one of thier developmental players like Sayler.

If his physical doesn't go through, Jefferies is going to look like as bad as Hankinson did last year with his "African sensation". The Burn claimed they were "taking thier time" to find the right player, then this comes out of left field. Just looks riskier then I expected of them.

You own Carl's rights UNLESS someone claims him on waivers. Then you don't get any compensation...I know this because we did the same with Luchi Gonzales in the preseason. What is it with SMU grads? They can't get a fair shake in MLS?

18. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    The good SMU grads - Hernandez, Presthsus - do ok. The not so good ones get cut.

19. angstchild

angstchild New Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Tracy, CA
    I'm confused. Luchi won the MAC and Hermann awards and still got cut.

20. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    C'mon Dallas. Trade EJ and get it over with. He would be a real nice fit in Colorado methinks.

21. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And? Not that many Heisman trophy winners do that well in the NFL. At least Luchi stuck around for a year.

Yes, I also think it might be time to trade EJ.

I propose a package deal with Bussey and EJ to San Jose for Arturo Alvarez.

22. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    [​IMG]
    Hi, I won the heisman and switched sports because they said i was too short. 9yrs later, I'm still playing. Do you know me?

23. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Give the Burn a break.

With all the hassle surrounding visas these days, he won't even be available until mid July I heard. What are we supposed to do, sit on our available cap space until October? At least we're actively bringing in competition to light a fire under some of the other guys. If he doesn't work out, so what? It's only a loan so we can afford to take a risk. It beats the hell out of doing nothing.

24. angstchild

angstchild New Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Tracy, CA
    The point was... oh, just reread the post already. Something about good SMU...

Nevermind.

25. Alex Sanz

Alex Sanz New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    TX
    I was not commenting on how they did in College. If they got drafted, they were obviously good college players. I was speaking about how they did in MLS.