D3 Men's NCAA Tourney Match: UMass Boston v. Haverford

Discussion in 'Referee' started by AlextheRef, Nov 16, 2016.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think abandoning the game would have forced more people to take notice given that it was a playoff game.

2. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The referee got that play right. Caution to Haverford for the tactical foul, send off to #8 for what he did, and the restart was for UMass Boston. Heck, it looks like both red cards to UMass Boston restarted with free kicks FOR UMass Boston since the original fouls were committed by Haverford. Really shows the character of the squad there.

AremRed repped this.
  3. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    dadman, uniqueconstraint and cmonref repped this.
  4. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I can't find where, but I read that someone from NCAA told the crew that if they can finish the game, they should. Side note, w
    hat's the concussion protocol for a referee?

5. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to find that direction from the NCAA, while I understand the reasoning it's also very poor direction.

I get they're trying to get the tournament in, but in this case should either team advance? Give Tufts a bye and send both teams home.

That ref staggered back a few steps! I hope he's ok but I bet he got his bell rung a little on that one.

By the way, do yourself a favor and don't read the comments on the Youtube video - I made the mistake of doing so and they just made me angry. I got so mad I put on my green ref shirt and stomped around the house - "ref smash!"

dadman, voiceoflg and fairplayforlife repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    final...
    Tufts 1
    UMass Boston 0

7. hornetbiz

hornetbiz Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Boston, MA
    D3 soccer can be VERY difficult to referee. There are great differences in styles and demographics. For example the player sent off and who head butted the referee is a freshman who turns 29 in February.

Not making a judgement in any way, but there are some variables in D3 NCAA games that you don't often see in other NCAA games.

usaref and msilverstein47 repped this.
  8. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    not this late in the tournament.

9. hornetbiz

hornetbiz Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Boston, MA
    It was the second round of the tournament.

And you can't deny that a 28 yo freshman is not something that you see at other levels of NCAA play.

AremRed and Law5 repped this.
  10. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    FBS has had 28 year old football players, different sport but the same dynamics exist.

11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I believe there was a women's soccer team from Maine, maybe 10 years ago, that had a mother and her daughter both playing on the team. When my daughter was taking her SAT's, he coach was also taking them. He was a Brit who had come over here to coach and he had been offered a scholarship to a NAIA school (now D2) to play and I refereed his games at that school in the following years.

12. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Dr. Gamera repped this.
  13. dehoff03

dehoff03 Member

Apr 22, 2016
    That was on a DI FCS team, and a fairly poor one at that. In DI FCS, there isn't a minimum number of scholarships that need to be awarded like there is in DI FBS. The level of play from that team is comparable to a mediocre D2 team or maybe a good D3 team.

Regardless, that's a pretty good feat for a 55 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
  15. THAREF

THAREF New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    FIRST OFF, let's discuss whether this match even continues after the UMB player head-butts the referee!
    Maybe the ref is injured and can't continue (concussion?) Maybe he's fine, just pissed off. But in MY book, that is "bringing the game into disrepute" and it cannot continue after the referee is headbutted! Now, I'm probably not thinking this strategically (having just been headbutted), but if you end the match because of the misconduct - the NCAA tournamnet committee would have to decide what to do and they are unlikely to order a replay. SO, Haverford advances, litle risk of UMB advancing on kicks with 7 or 8 players which is what ended up happening, a travesty.
    If I'm that referee, I end the game, go to the NCAA site rep and say "it cannot continue, I'm terminating the match, here you go".

SECONDLY, let's use the right terminology.
    If the referee decides to end the match due to excessive misconduct, he TERMINATES it.
    It would be ABANDONED if a team had a 5th player sent off and was down to 6. Or if weather made the field unplayable, or a ball wouldn't stay still on the penalty mark in the puddle, whatever.

Bubba Atlanta and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  16. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    Bull****
    Focus on things that matter folks!
    Clearly explain why the match was stopped in the writeup and let the league or tournament organizers decide what to do about it.

IASocFan and cmonref repped this.
  17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does either FIFA or the USSF have the power to issue suspensions or lifetime bans based on what a player does in NCAA?

Do NCAA referees have any kind of union and/or contract? A referee who is attacked by a player or coach should not have to pay his own medical bills.

18. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The answer to both questions is no. USSF does not assert jurisdiction over player behavior in college, high school or unaffiliated games. Even if they did, the player would still be entitled, under federal law, to due process, including a hearing, with evidence made available to the player and their attorney in advance, witnesses testifying and cross examined, etc., before any reprimand, suspension, fine, combination thereof, or "expulsion from the Federation" can be imposed, and there are avenues of appeal.

NCAA referees are independent contractors. As such, they are legally considered to be a business contracted to do a job. If they obtain medical insurance or workers compensation insurance, that would cover their injuries. Referees are classified under workers comp as professional athletes, which makes you feel good until you find out that means that the rates are extremely high. I don't know of any referee who has obtained such coverage, but YMMV. I'm not an attorney, but I would think that an injured referee or their insurance company could sue the person who assaulted them and/or their institution of higher learning. The cost of litigation would exceed the potential recovery in all but the most significant cases.

19. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...boston-men-s-soccer-receives-public-reprimand

uniqueconstraint, Thezzaruz and IASocFan repped this.