D3 Men's NCAA Tourney Match: UMass Boston v. Haverford

Discussion in 'Referee' started by AlextheRef, Nov 16, 2016.

1. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 AlextheRef, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    I had heard some rumors of this game from referee friends on the east coast, and it looks like some of the wildness was captured on video and posted online. Figured I'd share here.

Basically, this game was one of "those games" from the get go. Schools with different economic backgrounds going at it for a spot in the sweet 16 in the D3 NCAA Tournament. Almost 60 fouls, 7 cautions, 2 send offs, a player leaving the field in a squad car (referee abuse), and there could/should have been more misconduct. Allegedly, the NCAA was called at the end of regulation to determine whether the match should be abandoned. The team down to 9 men held on to advance on kicks from the mark.

I'll let these clips speak for themselves.
    http://youtu.be/ypZO-ULHFxA

msilverstein47 and AremRed repped this.
  2. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Hoo boy.

3. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Crazy.

4. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to pick nits, but that was referee assault. That was a headbutt and that player will hopefully be facing criminal charges in addition to never playing soccer in this country again.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

msilverstein47 and RespectTheGame repped this.
  5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but this is college so it will probably be looked at as the referees fault and he will be scratched for not handling things.

Sorry if others have a different opinion of the college system but I hear too many horror stories by fellow refs to have any faith.

Baka_Shinpan repped this.
  6. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Do you actually work college?

7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll freely admit, no I don't. Partly because of the stories I have been told by many fellow referees of being thrown under the bus, partly because I have atrocious luck and I know the year after I sign up and buy all the gear they would change it.

When you have Assignor's beholden to the whims of coaches I don't have much faith in the impartiality of the system as a whole.

8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I believe that the player left the field in the back of a police car.

AlextheRef and Doug the Ref repped this.
  9. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    From just the clips that were shown, how was the team wearing black not down to 7 men?

The first play where the 'fouled' player kicks the ball at the head of opponent - gone. Second, player in black head-butts player - should have been picked up by one official - gone. Third, player in black hits one player in face, wrestles other to ground, then head-butts official - gone, in police car, charged. Fourth, player in black comes up and pushes card/arm/hand down when ref is carding earlier player - gone. I would seriously have considered abandoning the match when one player attacked ref. If not, I would have certainly got them under 7 players w/cards. That was horrible.

Personally know at least 4 college refs and they do NOT share your opinion at all. And they do Div 3 and Div 1 (one has been on team for several UMd matches).

10. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I am glad to hear that. But even if the ones I know enjoy doing college the way they are treated on occasion is still unacceptable to me.

dadman and BTFOOM repped this.
  11. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I must be missing something the video that linked for me was 1:07 and stopped after the referee was head butted. Is there more after that?

I would like to see more f/u on local reporting on this: #77 should be dealt with in the criminal justice system besides a lifetime ban.

12. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Not commenting on the criminal justice system side of it. NCAA rules provide a three game suspension for referee assault, which is classified as a fighting ejection. Sorry, but NCAA rules do not provide for a "lifetime ban." Given that players only have four years of eligibility, any ban longer than their remaining eligibility is pointless. The NCAA rule book is, I believe, silent on whether any un-served suspension carries over to the next season. Not agreeing with it, just reporting.

IASocFan repped this.
  13. MfNz

MfNz New Member

May 31, 2016
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Wow! Frankly I've never abandoned a game but here, I think I would have used the red card that often that the game being over would have taken care of itself. I hope for all you USA refs sakes that not only the player is sanctioned for as long as possible but the college is dealt with to. Behaviour like this doesn't just happen on the pitch by accident. Dreadful.

14. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    The rule book may not explicitly cover the carryover of a multiple game suspension to the next season, but I think the implication is there:
    12�7�1 A player(s), coach or bench personnel ejected from a game cannot participate in the next regularly scheduled game, including postseason games, or, if the offense occurs in the final game of the season, in the first scheduled game of the next season�

15. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    But, since UMB advanced, it is not their final game of the season. The spirit is willing but the rules are weak. Of course, he would not be able to play again this year unless UMB advances to the national championship game. They play Tufts tomorrow. Go Jumbos!

For extra points, why are Tufts called the Jumbos?

16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    This was an awful example of really nasty thuggish behavior, and it is hard to believe that it only surfaced
    in this particular match.
    Anyone know if there are any priors for this team?
    Anyone know anything about the coach?
    I can't imagine a halfway decent AD, not to mention the college chancellor/president, wanting this player anywhere
    near his college and team again.
    Not directly related, but look what Harvard did to their soccer team for egregious misconduct.

PH

17. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Harvard values academics over athletics, so integrity confess easy for them. Could be worse look at the cover ups done at Baylor, if I had a daughter I would never let her play there.

18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    PT Barnum was a benefactor. He gave them other sucker's money.:D

PH

IASocFan repped this.
  19. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Just about right. PT Barnum was actually on their board of trustees. When his elephant, Jumbo, was killed in a train crash, he had Jumbo stuffed and put on display at the school. Then the building where Jumbo was displayed burned down, essentially cremating Jumbo's remains. The ashes are stored in a peanut butter jar in the athletic director's desk. When a team has a big game coming up, the athletes come rub the jar for good luck. At least, that's the story I remember being told.

AlextheRef repped this.
  20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has to be the most unlucky elephant ever.

dadman and msilverstein47 repped this.
  21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Now not soccer or refereeing related, but a good change from recent threads, but a more interesting story would by why a huckster like Barnum gave money to a religious school. I am sure this put him on the board of trustees, but other connections would be interesting.

PH

22. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Other than Deadpin, there's really been nothing in the media about the ref being attacked. I hope that this is not considered normal behavior nowadays to the point where the mainstream media is no longer wasting their time to cover this.

There's no way to know that it would have definitely prevented the nonsense later, but #8 should have been red carded for blasting the ball at the guy. These guys had to be recently watching old You Tube wrestling videos of Jimmy Snuka head butting opponents since I've never seen anything like this.

23. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    What can we do about this? Call/email/write to the NCAA, the school itself, or perhaps local state politicians? I wanna do something.

dadman and MetroFever repped this.
  24. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand wanting to finish that game but the video clearly shows the referee being head-butted.

I would only abandon a game if I felt I, the other referees or the players were in physical danger.

For me, after that head butt that's game abandoned.

dadman and BTFOOM repped this.