D3 Division Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thomas19064, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    The weakest MLS 2 sides will drop down including T2 and S2 probably a bunch more. The ownership doesn't want to wast money on "player development"

2. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can't stand the Sounders, or their fans, but if they're so averse to player development then why did they have 6 players (2 U-16, 2 U-17, 1 U-19, and 1 U-20) at the most recent USSF Development Camp? Why did they just have a 15 year old prospect sign with the S2 club? How have they produced 5 MLS players, 1 EPL player, 4 USL players, and dozens of D1 college players over the last 6-7 years? Why do they have U-15, U-16, U-17, and U-19 clubs in addition to S2?

Oh, it's because you're talking out of your ass as usual.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why on Earth would you assume “this rate” will continue until launch?

I am pretty sure they have a better idea of how many organizations are in the pipeline than any of us do. And they will announce them on their timeline, not merely to appear to be making sufficient progress to satisfy people on message boards.

They have to hit a certain target by a certain time. If it’s teams from scratch, they should be announced sooner than later, but we are still more than a year from kickoff.

I would think the fact there is even a team in Tucson, Arizona means this will be a more widespread league than might have first been thought. (I am not of a mind that a D3 league needs to go coast to coast, but perhaps separate conferences will keep travel regional.)

4. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    All the MLS 2 teams are cutting costs and will probably end up in D3. Playing lower quality teams will not help much. Coming from a T2 season ticket supporter we let a entire bunch of our best players leave last year for free and these players have gone on to be star players in other USL teams and Karlton Belmar going to the Sporting Kansas City First team squad and possibly playing against the timbers even though we had him for two years. Every fan who seen him play could tell you that he would be in the MLS in a few years he just had to develop.

5. JOEKIR

JOEKIR Member

Napoli & Orlando City
    United States
    Oct 28, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seems USL likes Ft Myers, FL and I know there have been talks with MISL/PDL Club in Lakeland, FL (Florida/Lakeland Tropics).

6. BleedingRedandBlack

Liverpool FC, Atlanta United, Charlotte Independence and Charlotte Eagles
    United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Charlotte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I particularly like how when they did the teaser for the announcement, they left the location on and tagged Greenville SC.. Very subtle.. Very subtle.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wisconsin is next.

hipityhop repped this.
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know of at least one that will, but I do not believe they all will, at least not at launch.

hipityhop repped this.
  10. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What cities in Wisconsin?? I hear maybe Des Moines to USL 3 ?? Other Midwest like Minnesota? Omaha ?? Maybe Wichita?? That would be nice for Swope Park to drop down and play these teams.... maybe even St Louis.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just one Wisconsin city I know of.

I will be interested to see what Des Moines does.

12. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As will I. Once upon a time, Krause (owner) planned to go to what is currently second division league, but that was back in the A-League days and was contingent on building a SSS in Urbandale (massive suburb). But things have changed drastically since the stadium deal fell through over a decade ago. Kum & Go (Krause's company) is building a massive new corporate headquarters downtown. There are several large parcels of land on the DM River just a couple of blocks south that are undergoing the process of decontamination and cleanup. Rumor has it that the stadium may have been included in the HQ deal and that at least one of those sites will be the location. There are also several large chunks of land awaiting development a few miles east on the same road, just blocks from the state Capitol. That road (MLK Pkwy) is relatively new, passes by Principal Park (I-Cubs baseball), and serves as the primary route from the airport to downtown, the Capitol, the existing sports venues, and the state fairgrounds.

13. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I am hoping that it would eventually be Madison and Milwaukee not just one or the other. And depending on owner, etc, the Green Bay or Appleton/Fox Valley market could work.

The recession never really hit Madison and the area has been growing like a weed. The place where a team would probably play (Breeze Stevens Stadium) has seen several tall buildings go up in the past few years. Downside is the fieldturf and permanent markings for other sports. But it is an interesting area.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  14. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the "one" you know the assumed "Orlando B" or is it a current USL D2 2018 member? Just curious.

15. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen that "Orlando B" is supposed to be planning the move. Supposedly Rochester is also planning the move.

16. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Orlando rumors are pretty out there. Rochester doesn't fall into the "MLS2 teams dropping down" but yes, I'm sure that's a possibility for them as well. More interested in if Kenn is talking to a non Orlando B MLS 2 team dropping.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not.

And Rochester has a lot of work to do before they can play again at any level. They did not give themselves a chance with the “We need a ridiculous amount of money in a week” bit, but I am skeptical that given even six or twelve months, they could do it.

The landscape has changed. Rochester’s situation now is simply not Rochester’s situation from 1999.

Blando13, ThePonchat and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. m_vandersee

m_vandersee Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Job posted for a COO of a 2019 USL Expansion Club in Iowa. Mentions coordinating affiliation with an MLS club (I would guess Minn Utd)

19. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This posting is really just the "midwest." The same job posting came up elsewhere (Glassdoor, as an example) in a search from Midwest City, Oklahoma.

20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says "Midwest, IA" ... so the IA part is making people assume is Des Moines. I guess it could be Cedar Rapids, IA as well? But the easy assumption is Des Moines I think. Having them as a MLS affiliate is interesting too. Minnesota United or Chicago Fire being the obvious connections.

21. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't come up on my Ames-DM job search, but it comes up with just Iowa. I assume that it is the Menace, but I believe the PDL team already has a COO. Wouldn't it make sense just to elevate the current person?

22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no clue what the current person's job responsibilities are. Is it a full time position? I honestly don't know what PDL team pays front office staff or if some things are done "volunteer" by passionate people with other day jobs. It may make sense to elevate the current person, it may not be possible.

23. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point. I don't know who does that job currently. I know the Menace have certain volunteer staff every year, but also paid employees. This is a posting on Indeed today:
    [​IMG]
    Menace Account Executive
    Kum & Go522 reviews - West Des Moines, IA

There is also a PAID intern position posted.

24. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what it says.

I clearly stated that the same posting came up in a search for "Midwest City, Oklahoma." It didn't have anything about Iowa in it. Midwest City is a suburb of Oklahoma City. Within the posting itself, not the location, it simply states "Midwest."

Blando13 repped this.
  25. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Article indicating that Breeze Stevens Stadium in Madison is trying to increase capacity and hoping to have a 'minor league team' playing in 2019.

m_vandersee, ThePonchat and Blando13 repped this.