D3 Division Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thomas19064, Mar 30, 2017.

1. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh I hate soccer fields in baseball stadiums.

big spaniel and brentgoulet repped this.
  2. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

Lansing Ignite, Lansing United
    United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Living within walking distance of the stadium, I will take it happily.
    You know what the alternative is? No pro soccer team. I love LanU, but I would much rather go to a pro game. Even if it's in a baseball stadium.
    It amazes me that the first reaction to an announcement that someone with money is spending it on building a new professional soccer team that will pay players to play soccer in a venue that will seat thousands if (spelling correction: is) negative. Nearly always. Guess what? This isn't Europe and it never will be.
    Go Lansing Ignite (or whatever the name will be, verb or not - I don't care).

Zamphyr, TheJoeGreene, Blando13 and 3 others repped this.
  3. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaaaannnnnd. I am super-excited to get the chance to see John Harkes coach right here in Lansing, even if it's for the away team. ;)

4. FCDfaninzEP

FCDfaninzEP Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 8, 2018
    El Paso, TX
    Exactly. What’s better, play soccer in a baseball stadium or play in a 2000 seat high school stadium with little concessions and bathrooms? Playing in high school stadiums is way more small time than playing in a baseball stadium

TheJoeGreene and aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends.. are we talking an AAA baseball stadium, or an A baseball stadium and how recently was the stadium upgraded?

6. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So A-ball and 20 years old.. Yikes. Good news is there is a renovation in the pipeline.

8. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I'm not universally opposed to playing in baseball stadiums and soccer's place in the American sports hierarchy pretty much ensures that teams will need to stadium share.

But did you look at that render? The only seating anywhere near pitch is behind the goals. I'm not going to argue that it won't be better than a high school stadium: at the very least there will be beer, but let's not kid ourselves that Cooley Law School Stadium is an ideal design for sticking a soccer field on.

9. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Renovation is done. Lots of money put in very recently. New development coming in the immediate area. This is a great location for a new team. Handlebar mustache salmon skinny-culotte central station. (My wife says nobody will understand that last sentence. She thinks I have had too much to drink).

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  10. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Hipsters. Definitely it being downtown will be an advantage.

11. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That render does suck. I hope it was last-minute and doesn't take into account temp seating possibilities.

12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Austin's USL team will learn this the hard way.

13. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. But what do they say about "Le meglio è l'inimico del bene"?

14. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Sure, you got to work with what you got.

15. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question ... the wiki page says the Lugnuts share the stadium with Michigan State's baseball team. Is that correct? Is there a possibility that this ownership group works well enough with Michigan State that they could possibly upgrade the MSU soccer stadium to meet DIII requirements and share a soccer stadium too? Just curious.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    According to the MSU schedule they only played a couple of games at the Lugnuts stadium this year, both against the Lugnuts. Historically it looks like they have had a few big games there but it is not a regular venue.

The Lugnuts are operating the new soccer team. It doesn't seem likely that they would move the games over to MSU out of their own stadium. MSU is the southern part of East Lansing, well away from the Lansing downtown area where the Lugnuts field is located. MSU is also a pretty dry campus. They don't sell beer at athletic events. They might be able to get an exception if the soccer team is renting a facility but it would be another hurdle.

Blando13 repped this.
  17. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the city owns the stadium. The Lugnuts and the new soccer team are tenants. No idea what kind of deal they have but I am sure it's very sweet.

18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Fair enough. I misspoke. I should have said, "It doesn't seem likely that they would move the games over to MSU out of the stadium that they already operate in."

20. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. the beer thing is a big issue for sure. The location didn't look like much, since the MSU soccer stadium and the Lugnuts field seem to be on the same street (143/Michigan Ave) ... but the damn beer sales. I was only suggesting it if MSU was "renting" Lugnuts field they could effectively swap (or pro rate) renting each others fields to have soccer played on a soccer field and baseball on a baseball field ... but the damn beer sales!

21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2in10 repped this.
  22. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting. So there could be more teams in 2019 than we have been hearing if this team, Lansing, Dallas 2 start up and Penn FC drops as reported by Chopra.

23. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, just like Richmond, they put in minimal effort.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minimal effort is the way those clubs work. They see League One as not an opportunity, but as a budget cutter, with the idea being that they won't have to put up with D2 standards or paying their players a higher salary. I find it funny that Richmond didn't bother telling people the real reason they were demoting themselves.

2in10 repped this.