D1 Scholarships

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GKparent2019, Jul 30, 2018.

1. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Former players would be a good resource. They have little to gain or lose by being candid. Also, researching the transfer rate of players at their school while they were the head coach. If players who received minimal playing time transfer to a weaker program I would not read much into it. But if players getting significant playing time are making lateral transfers it would give me pause and I would try to look into it.

2. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Seeking advice: Say your child verbally committed as a freshman. Over the course of the next 3 years would it be (scale of 1-10: 1 being it's perfectly OK, 10 being they will revoke your commitment) bad form to attend other universities summer camps purely for training/alternative coaching education? How about if the other university is a school you considered but chose another?

3. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would say anywhere from 7-8 (in your first scenario) to 9-10 (in your second), unless you've communicated with the staff and essentially asked for their blessing. But, I would say in general it is not in good form, and there's not too many staffs that are going to be thrilled you're going to another camp when you're already committed (but of course, not signed). Speaking as a college coach (albeit on the men's side, with past experience on the women's) i would be a little confused as to why you'd want to attend another camp (especially at a place you also considered) if not to try and get a better offer there or waver on your commitment to our program. I wouldn't pull the offer, but I'd be a tad confused. That's just me, though. I don't know a ton of HS freshman/sophomores that a) want the experience of just getting alternative training when already committed if 100% happy with their choice (without parental pressure) or b) that aren't in "love" with the school they chose when they committed that early and therefore want to spend time on another campus...most young ladies I know that commit that early, especially to P5s or DI's are pretty happy and want to spend every moment they can there, around campus, the team, and the staff. Would be interested in how other college coaches feel. Definitely would encourage you to tread carefully and seek other opinions, not just mine, but the soccer community is a small one.

Let's put in this way. Your daughter is committed to school A. Attends School B's camp. School B decides they don't care about your commitment to School A and offers you a better financial/academic offer. Would you consider it? Not saying there's a problem either way, just food for thought.

4. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Spend as much time around them and the team as possible. Attend camps, observe trainings, go to matches (or stream them), talk to players and alumni, parents talk to parents...decide what you really value. Ask tough questions about contracts, scholarships, their future plans and goals.

ntxsage repped this.
  5. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Thanks PIM. It really is just her (being just 14) wanting to learn and absorb as much as possible. If the camps are purely for the purpose of scouting/identifying players I def get what you are saying. I guess what we are really looking for is what are the top options during the short summer (DA program) break for high level position-specific training (if not from college coaches and their camps)?