Pre-match: D.C. United v. Sporting KC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched a bit of Durkin in a preseason match and he was excellent. Very skillful with the ball at his feet.

Winoman repped this.
  2. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    You know, if they just said, you know what, we're one year or so away from opening a new stadium and we've just signed a 22-year old attacking midfielder whose going to orchestrate our attack for years to come and we're going to go crazy young this year, bloody our kids, see what we've got, so next off season when we've finally got some money and we know what we really need we'll know where to spend it, so we're going to go with:

------------------Hamid------------------
    DeLeon - Robinson - Birnbaum - Kemp
    ------------------Durkin------------------
    Sam-----Harkes-----Acosta-----Nyarko
    ------------------Mullins-----------------

I could totally live with this. Only guys over 26 would be the two wings, right? You'd also have Jeffrey and Buescher as part of the U-26 club...

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  3. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durkin and Robinson are not better than their counterparts though, Harkes/Jeffrey might be a toss up. In this league, this season, DCU absolutely has a chance to win MLS Cup this season; no reason to throw it away. If things aren't going well then sure, but I just don't see it happening for the hell of it

DCUSA repped this.
  4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durkin is all of seventeen years old.

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    There is no one size fits all philosophy. Every player is different. Some players you have to bring along slowly. Some players will benefit if you throw them in the deep end of the pool on day 1. We'll never really know since we're not there in training every day to observe every little detail. This is why Ben gets paid the "big bucks" :rolleyes::ROFLMAO: ...

Having said that, when in doubt I'd always lean towards the younger player. Look at Pulisic. There was no shortage of older more experienced wingers on that team (Schurrle, Reus, Kagawa etc ...) But when he got his minutes, he seized his opportunity and grew. It's hard to grow sitting on the bench.

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  6. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    #31 Eastern Bear, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    If you want the dynamic attack we saw last year in every match you need speed at center back. That attacking style requires our back line to push up high in order to keep control of the space behind our attack. Boswell got burned a lot over the top and there is a lot of speed in this league. Birnbaum should be able to organize. Franklin will need to adapt and I think he can. If he doesn't, the answer is not Boswell, it's mid-season transfer of a quality center back.

I also believe we'll see Tissot on the bench just about any time he's not starting. To have a left sided player that can play in the midfield or the back is extremely valuable. Our formation is a 4-1-4-1 when we play defense, but its a 4-3-3 when we are in attack. Our outside midfielders become wingers in a hurry. That's why we will see nothing, but high caliber athletes in those spots going forward.

Behind Acosta I think we have LeToux who can spell him quite well this season. I think a healthy Marcelo can play either the holding mid or the box-to-box spot. Holding mid will probably reduce the wear on his body but his skills are more suited to be close to the attack. Either way, he'll have to partner really well with the other midfielder in order to make sure nobody gets caught up field. Additionally, I've heard Olsen talk about playing the attack with full backs and having our defensive midfielder drop back into the center of the back line. None of Marcelo, Vincent, or Jeffrey have the wheels to do that. Little Harkes does though. So does Durkin.

Using our fullbacks to provide width -- or even inverting a Nick DeLeon to help us own the midfield will be a great trick up our sleeve if we have a Ryan Nelsen (in his first year with the team) type at the D-mid spot who can slide down between Birnbaum and Franklin when our full backs get into the attack.

7. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any streaming options for NewChannel 8 for cord cutters?

8. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I have purchased MLSLive and for some reason I was able to get the black out games because... I don't know why. I think it's because Virginia considers my area 'rural' since our water comes from wells and we have no sewers. I do have a VPN service that I can use to 'trick' the system into thinking I'm not in the DC area just in case they catch on.

TowsonDad and Winoman repped this.
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how much is it worth to you to have me keep my mouth shut?;)

10. atsegnorts

atsegnorts Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Falls Church
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Acosta game time decision?? Anybody heard why?

11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in the last pre-season game, he stepped on someone else's heel and actually got a yellow for it. He hurt himself and got treatment, but remained in the game unil after half time. They didn't say this was it but I would bet it is the reason.

Boloni86 and atsegnorts repped this.
  12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A thimble would have hit him in his chest.

13. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just say this game has given me the first real feeling of optimism in several months.

Not that I'm projecting a win -- I can just focus on something else for the next 8 months, LOL.

Boloni86 and griffin1108 repped this.
  14. l_gregorio

l_gregorio New Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Will the game be streamed on the news channel 8 website? Don't have cable and my antenna is hit or miss. If not, what station is the radio broadcast?

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I wonder what went into determining the game time for this.

16. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Last year they weren't streamed. I don't think they have the streaming rights. I didn't know that channel 8 is available with an antenna.

17. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A clock, almost certainly.

<ducks>

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?
    Most home Saturday games are at 7.
    Certainly, given the weather, mid-day would have been better for attendance and comfort. But almost any other day in the past three weeks would have been fine. Sucks.

Winoman repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    7 became the common time the past year or two. Most places have earlier games early in the season.

20. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last year we had a bunch of early season 5PMs because they were on ABC as opposed to NC8, and so they had to be earlier to not ruin their primetime.

21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember DCU ever doing that for early season or late season games due to weather. Wouldn't be a bad idea in general, but maybe the timing is more important than the weather on balance and they're just unlucky tonight.

22. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Very excited for the match. Eager to see Harkes and Ortiz. Not sure how I feel about Franklin as a CB. Boswell is our only defender on the bench. I can't remember if Vincent ever filled in at FB before.

23. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get this show on the road. Last season in RFK.

Let's make it count!

24. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That ref is FAT.

25. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No more penalty tries for Sarvas. That was shit.

Credit to Melia for a decent save though.

Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.