D.C. United v. Shitty FC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, the crappy field helped us make that first goal. The ball just hopped over Brillant's foot and Sam alertly stole it away.

Winoman repped this.
  2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    The two Central Defenders messed up. They both tried to make a 1v1 defensive play against Sam, and ended up getting in each other's way.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Uh-huh. Like some of us have saying for a long time: the 19,400 capacity at Audi Field is waaaaaaay too small.
    [BEEP]
    This is a recording.
    [BEEP]

asitis, dcu n bntwn and sitruc repped this.
  4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, and that's the one that came and visited us in the stands yesterday.

Winoman repped this.
  5. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I think that we benefited from the crap field, yet again.

I applaud Vieira for trying to mould an offensive-minded team incorporating a possession style that starts in the back. Attacking soccer is great for the league.

In order to play out of the back with regularity, defenders need to be exceptionally confident passers of the ball. In addition, there needs to be excellent movement off of the ball by the midfielders and forwards in front of defense. In my opinion, no MLS club has enough skilled defenders and high soccer IQ midfielders to play this way. Look at the real Man City that has a much higher payroll. Even they struggle with this.

I recall reading some soccer stats book many years ago. I believe it claimed that over half of goals in pro soccer come off of turnovers in the defensive 1/2. It is this sort of stat that leads to teams hoofing it out of the back by whatever means necessary.

I am not a proponent of the latter, and the stats may be different now as the game has evolved significantly. However, trying to pass it out of the back essentially every possession seems foolish unless you have highly skilled defenders and midfielders like a Barcelona.

The RFK field conditions made this strategy even more risky for NYC and it definitely bit them in the behind on that first goal.

As others have stated, I give full credit to Olsen and the team for executing intelligent high pressure on the NYC back line to create mistakes. DCU pressed, but still avoided being caught out on the counterattack. It was brilliant.

Eastern Bear, Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I have no idea what was on the field prior to the season, but I still believe the field is simply discolored in a few places (that are visible from high angles) more than it is uneven. It's not perfect, but many of the discolored spots simply look like divots on television.

7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of rolling, the ball was bouncing around on those spots, and even on some of the nicer-looking places. I told Mrs. Winoman that it looked like they had beginning golfers out there for their first lessons, and didn't replace the divots.

8. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the ball, rolling across the ground, suddenly pops up into the air and there's no one anywhere nearby to have touched it, that's not because of discoloration.

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Last week, Philly put a shot on goal to Hamid that hit one of the "patches" and he was forced to short hop it like a baseball infielder. That field is a disgrace.

Winoman repped this.
  10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    The pass was a bouncing pass to begin with. It never rolled on the ground ever.

sitruc repped this.
  11. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what pass you're referring to. But so far this season, I've seen a rolling ball pop up for no reason multiple times.

Winoman repped this.
  12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    [
    You used to see that a lot when Richie Williams played here

fatbastard repped this.
  13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I don't think the field has rècovered from the SheBelieves double-header. I don't think EventsDC is going to spend much on that field the rest of the season.

14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Right on. Carlos LLamosa's don't grow on trees in MLS. Still won't prevent me from demanding two of them for DCU. :)

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It didn't look good for that either. The home opener was before that and it didn't look good then.

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many warm days and not enough snow during the winter must have confused the groundskeepers so they forgot to fix it up for the spring.

Is there still a groundskeeper?

Winoman repped this.
  17. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Hedbal repped this.
  18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Look, the tailgating is getting out of hand, people. Bootsy, you're cut off.

AND WHO PUT THE STUFFED RACCOON ON MY CAR??!!!:mad:

Oh. Ehrgh. SORRY!!

Not stuffed...:unsure:"