Pre-match: D.C. United v. Salt Lake Royals

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Aug 10, 2017.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who: D.C. United v. Real Salt Lake
    What: MLS
    When Saturday, August 12, 2017, 7:00 PM
    Where: RFK Stadium, Washington, DC, USA
    Why: 2018 Preseason

Lineup I would like to see, assuming Stieber and Miranda are not eligible yet per reports:

Hamid
    Odoi-Atsem Birnbaum Opare Kemp
    Canouse NDL
    Acosta
    Arriola Mullins Nyarko

Worra Robinson Franklin Beuscher Marcelo Sam Brown

yes NDL in the middle while Harkes is hurt. Why not? Can't be worse than Jeffrey/Marcelo. If Canouse is legit, NDL can do enough to be a competent link between the other center mids. And you know he'll put in the work on defence.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad lineup.

3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I can see Arriola -- maybe -- because he is match fit. Canouse was in pre-season in Germany. He will have had what, 3 practices with DCU before tomorrow? Do you really want to throw out a 22 year old who is not match fit to play one of the most demanding positions on the field in his first game in uniform? Credit to him if he says he's up for it, more credit to Olsen if he says "thanks, but watch the game from the bench and be ready about minute 70 if I need you to help lock down the game."

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd pay to see that line-up. Well, I paid to see whatever they've been putting out before this weekend too so .....

I don't think Nyarko is dressing for this one, but hopefully he's back.

Earlier in the year RSL was struggling but I've really stopped paying attention to other teams lately so I have no idea how they are doing right now. Either way, we'll kick their sorry asses.

I would like to see the two new Americans but I don't think I want to see them start, though we may not have enough warm bodies left so we might have to start at least one of them :)

DCU: 4
    RSL: 2

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Petke has definitely steadied the ship. They're coming in with a 5 game unbeaten streak, although the last 3 were draws. But before that they had two blowout wins on the road in LA and Portland.

They're playing a new style now with our own alum Luis Silva as a false #9. Their real threat is the 3 attacking midfielders that play underneath Silva ... Plata, Rusnak and Savarino. They're all small, quick and creative. Their weak spot is probably their defense which has been struggling with injuries all year.

Winoman, fatbastard and NicktheGreek repped this.
  6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Nice summary,

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good

9. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and Yes. Arriola for sure - he's a DP and better than our other active wingers. He should absolutely start. I see your point with Canouse, and I think it comes down to fitness, but if he is fit enough, start him. I don't care if they haven't had time to "gel" with their new teammates. The current teammates haven't gelled. We brought these guys in for a reason, play them ASAP.

Boloni86 repped this.
  10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think he misspelled Richmond Kickers ;)

:D

11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nyarko (concussion) and Kemp (hip) out per Goff. Based on that and the above I'll say:

Hamid
    Franklin Birnbaum Opare Korb
    Marcelo Jeffrey
    Acosta
    Arriola Mullins NDL

Worra, Odoi-Atsem, Robinson, Canouse, Buescher, Miranda, Brown

GumbyG repped this.
  12. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    So Stieber still hasn't cleared yet? He was the first or second signing. You'd think he'd be done already. Was hoping to see him come on for the final 10-15 mins this Saturday.

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    On Ch 8 as usual, Mute early, mute often.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rather see Odoi-Atsem over Franklin.

jason1551, Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  15. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too but I don't see Ben doing it esp. with Kemp out. Put a more stable vet in with one injured.

shawn12011 repped this.
  16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put Brown on the wing and start NDL over Jeffrey or Sarvas and Canouse over the other one. Cause we're not going to the playoffs so why they hell not?

17. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    My lineup: 4-1-4-1

Hamid
    Odoi-Astem Birnbaum Opare Korb
    Canouse
    Arriola Acosta NDL Nyarko
    Brown

Worra, Robinson, Franklin, Marcelo, Miranda, Mullins

Marcelo might start if Canouse isn't 60' fit. I don't want to see Jeffery get his third game in a row own goal

18. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    This is exactly what I don't want to see -- Marcelo and and Jeffrey. Stinks of defeat. How many times do we need to hit ourselves in the head before we stop the same shite? Anything else... Better to put in the youth and play offensively and try to win 4-3. Trying to not lose has gotten us nothing. Both Marcelo and Jeffrey should be gone next year. Build forward -- if one of them is in, that's enough pain for the fans...

DecadeOfDCU26 and Heist repped this.
  19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Lineup : Hamid, Birnbaum, Opare, Odoi Atsem, Franklin, Jeffrey, Sarvas, De Leon, Arriola, Acosta, Brown

Bench : Worra, Robinson, Korb, Canouse, Buscher, Mullins, Miranda.

Interesting to see Odoi Atsem on the left. With De Leon in front of him, this is very much a makeshift left flank.

Happy to see Canouse and Miranda in the 18 and hope to see both in 2nd half.

Winoman repped this.
  20. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    This looks exactly like I expected, better control midfield but no one with any real desire to put the ball in the net. It feels like we want to get the ball into the box or near it as our major goal and that's it.

21. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Can't believe Miranda is listed there. Based on what I read, I thought they were looking at him for the future (2018) but they did say he'll have some playing time this season. Just as I mentioned in another thread (post #248), his major problem is not getting consistent playing time so I'm sure he knows that if he is subbed in tonight, he needs to showcase those "flashes of brilliance" so that he might actually be considered sooner than later. Wish this kid all the best! Make Bolivia proud, Bruno and make D.C. United proud as well!

íVamos Bruno and Vamos United!

Winoman, Freestyle2000 and Boloni86 repped this.
  22. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The interplay between Acosta and NDL has been really nice to see. Arriola looks good too, if on a separate page from the others on occasion. Jeffery really stands out in a negative way now, in terms of skill level.

Brown and Mullins have to look at the rest of this season as a major audition for 2018. The midfield is improving, but it's for naught if the ball doesn't get in the goal. Brown's gotta lean on that near post run more, especially when it's coming from NDL/O-A's side.

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it still raining? Can't seem to tell from the interwebs.

24. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    TV coverage shows the pitch largely under water, awaiting decision to suspend continue match

25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Looks like match is postponed. Lame.