Pre-match: D.C. United v. P.U.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Mar 29, 2017.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know these guys all work hard so they should get some slack, but I find it odd that leaders of supporters' groups will wear gear of other professional teams when they're "working" so to say...

2. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am cautiously optimistic, but it's nice to get the W.

Have to agree, Acosta is really starting to just jog out there hopefully that will change.

That Philly team is just dreadful, so our next opponents are going to be a real test.

The field condition is inexcusable...

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't pasture a goat on the RFK pitch.

bigredfutbol and Boloni86 repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this in reference to something I'm missing?

Unless you wanted to piss off the goat

Winoman repped this.
  5. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of the SE dudes was rocking a black Celtic jersey...just find it kind of odd IDK.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably same dude I gave grief to earlier, I didn't realize what jersey it was just that it wasn't United (did he also have on a skirt? oh, apologies to any wee scotsmen out there .... a kilt?) .... I mean some folks hate to dirty up a United shirt working - but I think that's why they made those We Win Trophies shirts :)

Winoman repped this.
  7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I don't sit with the supporters. Full disclosure, in the distant past I have worn both a Nueva Chicago jersey to RFK (an homage to Gomito) and Charleston Battery (I think that was in 2013 and it was my attempt to "change" the outcome on the pitch since my Moreno practice jersey wasn't getting things done.) IMHO, the only inexcusable sin for any DCU supporter to do is wear the jersey of another MLS team at RFK.

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If someone wants to wear a Chivas USA, Tampa Bay Mutiny or Miami Fusion shirts I won't be too put out. As for those wearing other MLS shirts they should be drowned in one of the portable bathrooms around RFK.

fatbastard, sitruc and griffin1108 repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I'd put the blame on EventsDC. They run the stadium and the parking lots.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We called our ticket rep* today, and she said the team would notify the proper authorities. We'll see how that goes.

*She actually stopped by our seats to speak to us during the game. :thumbsup:

11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, and like I said, he's working the drum the entire game and I'm just getting drunk so I'm not trying to talk shit. I'm just sort of talking shit anyway

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Have I missed mention of the multiple shots that Acosta passed up early in the game?

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate the sentiment, but if I'm ever in another MLS city and want to go to a game I'll damn sure wear my DCU jersey - so it was nice knowing y'all if I run into song219's counterpart in another city :D

Where I used to work in Loudoun County I used to see a guy occasionally wearing a Crew jersey, that was weird.

Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not that I'm a leader in any way, but I almost wore a Spurs shirt into a game last year because I forgot to change shirts. Fortunately somebody pointed it out before I was inside, so I could go back and change. At least you don't see all those Beckham shirts any more.

15. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game on MLSlive. It looked pretty bad.

The funny thing is that the poor field may have helped DCU.

In the pregame, the Philly commentators spoke of how the Union were planning on playing a possession game. When they were unable to execute (may be in part due to the field conditions), they weren't able to adapt.

The conditions affected DC, too. Acosta did not seem nearly as dynamic as we have become accustomed to seeing.

However, DCU seemed to adjust to the conditions and use high pressure to force errors by the Union.

16. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the D looked much better with Boswell.

I do think that the Franklin centerback move has potential. I thought that Franklin would bring more mobility. Given his pedigree as an outside back, I also thought that Franklin would be better at 1v1 defending in open space.

However, gotta admit that the defense looked better organized and more composed with Boswell out there.

It certainly helped that we never trailed during the game. So, the defense never had to push up the field. As a result, they were rarely caught in situations where central defenders had to run wth attackers and defend in open space (Boswell's weakness). Instead, they were able stay compact and keep Philly in front of them (Boswell's strength).

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.