Pre-match: D.C. United v. FTRB

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    For the record, DC was missing one of it's CBs yesterday. Opare and Birnbaum are a perfectly serviceable MLS pairing. The problem, as always, is Brillant, who is not even MLS backup quality.

DCUSA, ejs1111 and smakawhat repped this.
  2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brillant had a couple of excellent plays yesterday, and is the better passer by far. Opare is the better man-defender, but can't pass his way out of a wet paper bag. If we could somehow combine the two...

Eastern Bear, DCUSA, roadkit and 4 others repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Kind of like the old debate of whether we could combine Korb and Kemp. Someone with a combination of Brillant's and Opare's skills is probably not playing in MLS and is certainly not playing on DC United.

Winoman repped this.
  4. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I had zero beers! Just water and food. But I had no benefit of replays since I was watching it live. If the call was correct- fair play to him- even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, this three man back line was bullshit made up by announcers who don't know what they are talking about. Robinson was playing right back, and that's it. No big change in tactics.

6. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Only a generalization as to why they use VAR not eyewitness accounts from spectators. And of course you had no benefit of TV replays, it was clear from your posts you were there in person. The ref, as you implied got one right, but it was the wrong one if you favored DCU.

7. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we hadn't sucked the whole first half of the season, a draw against the pink cows would be ok. Given the hole, we dug ourselves a draw isn't good enough.

8. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will agree that he has transformed this team from bad to an edge of the playoff team. That's a big change given so many below average players on this team. I still think we need a house cleaning on defense. I'm hard-pressed to think of anyone other than Hamid I really want to keep. Some may say that Birnbaum and Opare should be retained but frankly, I don't see it especially at the price DC is paying.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  9. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't make it to the game at the last minute but did watch on tv. I have to say it was not a handball. VAR did its job. The ref was talking to the VAR. From one angle it looked like he touched it with his arm but the other angles showed the ball came off his shoulder and then down in front of his arm.

NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  10. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They played well. They also played dumb because they let the one guy you can't let beat you, beat them.
    The first goal was a really unfortunate Hamid spazz attack, a couple of those a year comes with the package. But the last two were totally preventable with tight, determined marking, on the finisher and provider both.

it's as simple as recognizing a dangerous situation, BIrnbaum yelling I got him, and sticking to BWP like glue until danger averted, regardless of where the ball is going or coming from. Especially in the last five minutes protecting a lead, no excuse just the worst defensive execution.

Having said all that, the goals were sick (Luchooooooo!!!!!) and United finally played like they could run with and around Redbulls. Get Opare back in there to block shots and track runners, if Asad gets it going, Hamid has no more howlers, this team will make the playoffs. Low bar, but from where they're coming from, it's strong.

Gotta beat Montreal or never mind that last part.

GumbyG, Winoman and ejs1111 repped this.
  11. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Arriola was playing as the winger on the right and Mora was winger on the left. Robinson was a centerback on the right hand side. Since Arriola and Segura both exchanged positions a lot it was hard to tell who was playing as the right winger. Overall, I thought Ben was playing narrow because he wanted to control the center of the field -- which they did very well until NY brought in some speedy wingers and forced play wide.

Winoman repped this.
  12. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This defense is a shambles.. I am just not even going to get into it... I am beyond furious, it needs to be scrapped somehow and start over.

nick repped this.
  13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

Totally agree. He had a couple of middling albums in the 1970s. Big deal. So did T. Rex.

sitruc, fatbastard and DCUSA repped this.
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Jay Springsteen was probably the best dirt-track (motorcycle) racer of the past quarter century.

fatbastard repped this.