Czechs abroad [R]

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Canadian_Supporter, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Surprisingly no, although the first in a long time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luboš_Kubík

Be interested to see how his salary works out as this seems to be a loan, he was getting paid way more in China than MLS would pay for a non-household name. That said his family was reportedly miserable there.

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Okay I guess first recognizable Czech player in the league then although Dockal has pretty much disappeared since moving to China.

It's not surprising his family is struggling there. China is vastly different to Prague. Plus he likely doesn't have a support network there like a lot of the other guys that move to china. I doubt the Czech expat community is strong in China.

3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yes, China definitely could be be a difficult adjustment (it sounds like he was doing okay, but wife and child were unhappy). He is fairly fluent in English so should be much easier to adjust in MLS. I didn't watch much MLS last season, but I recall Philadelphia seems to have good fans/atmosphere despite usually being a not great team.

The other main Czech Abroad story of the winter was 20 year-old Ondrej Mihalik moving from Jablonec to AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands. Unfortunately, he seems to have suffered a season ending knee injury after 2 appearances.

4. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    David Rozehnal has retired from professional football and will most likely play in the 7th tier for his local side Kozusany with his brother. David started playing football in Kozusany when he was 8 years old.

Skevin repped this.
  5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    He has had a great career, and I hope he enjoy his retirement. Great servant to his country, and was around to play with some really excellent players.

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slow off-season so far. I think the only open rumors currently are Vydra -> Leeds and Krmencik -> Newcastle / Reading

Dockal had a slow and late start with Philadelphia but has apparently played much better the last month or so. Has 5 goals and 6 assists in that stretch, be interesting to see if that move can become permanent, although the team in China invested a lot of money. I think if he returns to China his international career is definitely over, but in MLS he may still be on the radar.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    New rumor as things are starting to pick up, Tomas Soucek - > Fiorentina or Atalanta.

Atalanta also interested in getting Jankto from Udinese.

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Would be a great move for Soucek. Barak, Krejci, Soucek, and Jankto would all be in Italy. Seems to be a good spot for Czechs coming from our home league.

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Krejci may be leaving Italy unfortunately, he was reduced to a squad player last season after a good first year, and from what little I've read he doesn't seem particularly interested in fighting for his spot.

While Jankto to another Serie A team seems most likely, there are articles linking him to Arsenal recently as well.

10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I did notice Krejci was barely playing and wondered why. He was pretty good last year for his club.

11. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #336 ASU55RR, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Yeah, it's unfortunate especially since it didn't start with an injury or anything. He just seems to have lost his spot and didn't double his efforts to get it back. There is talk they may sell him back to Sparta for half what he was purchased 2 years ago, although an Italian article today seems to say the manager wants to give him a chance in Bologna.

To be honest, for as many positive athletic/technical attributes as he has there are some signs that he doesn't seem all that interested in getting better. He is now in his mid-twenties and still seems to have a tenuous understanding of timing runs to not to wind up in an offside position. It' would be very disappointing if he became another bust like his fellow Sparta "wunderkind" Vaclav Kadlec.

12. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #337 ASU55RR, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Interesting interview with Gebre Selassie about life in Bremen, his future plans to return to Liberec at the end of his career, and how he contemplated international retirement after the last campaign: https://fotbal.idnes.cz/theodor-geb...t_reprez.aspx?c=A180629_072509_fot_reprez_rou

Made me feel old that he was contemplating international retirement, although somewhat shockingly I think he, Suchy and Darida are the only members of the 2012 squad still playing regularly on the national team.

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Retirement?! He is 31. At minimum we can use him for the Euros. How old was Jankulovski, Baros, Koller, etc when they retired?

I think he still has a role to play for our national team even with kaderabek pretty much owning that wingback spot.

14. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yeah, I assume it was just momentary disappointment of missing the last chance at a world cup (at least while still in his prime). Definitely still has a lot to offer though as we need any good player available on the back line.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Vaclik to Sevilla is popping up on the rumor mill as a nearly done deal in the Spanish press. 10 Million transfer fee being reported. A much needed move up in leagues if it becomes official for our current #1 keeper in my opinion.

Jankto to Sampdoria for 15 Million may be close as well, which would be a little disappointing compared to some of the clubs rumored. He definitely wants out of Udinese, and he very publicly called the club out recently.

16. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Vaclik? I thought he was signing for Prague. I also don't think he is that good.

Pavelenka had a massive year in Germany and was one of the best goalies in the league. He reminds me a lot of Cech.

Koubek also was doing well in France. I think Vaclik should be our #3.

17. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Agree that Pavlenka deserves more chances to challenge for the top spot, but if we have keepers starting in solid clubs in Spain, Germany, and France, choosing one is a good problem to have.

Now we just need an even half decent center-back to put in front of them...

Skevin repped this.
  18. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
  19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Youth national team player Richard Sedlacek is leaving Sparta for AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands.

Haven't seen much of him before, but he was captain of Sparta's U-19 team last season. Will definitely start at AZ as a youth player. We have another young player at AZ Ondrej Mihalik, striker that did fairly well at Jablonec as a teenager then moved to AZ, last summer I think.

20. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/sampdoria-medical-visits-for-jankto-tomorrow-the-details

Jankto is having his medical with Sampdoria tomorrow. He's going to a club where he will still be an almost sure starter and that is a bit more likely to qualify for Europa League, than Udinese. That said, it still feels like a much more lateral move than some of what was rumored. I fairly expensive lateral move with a transfer fee reported to be 15 Million Euro + % of future fees.

21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Gets a decent pay raise, and Sampdoria are a good club.

I assume Sampdoria see Jankto as a replacement for Torreira although Jankto is a bit more offensive than Torreira is.

22. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #347 ASU55RR, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Ales Mateju will be leaving Brighton after less than a year for a loan in Serie B at Brescia with a 4 Million buy option (I feel like there is some Czech agent making a lot of money in Italy these days).

Looking back, I think it was an odd move to go to Brighton when he did, at 21 he was a bit too old to be considered a true youth development prospect for them although he clearly still has some polishing needed before he's a top league starter. In hindsight, probably would have done well to stay in Plzen and get Champions League experience.

Edit: Jankto to Sampdoria is official

23. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #348 ASU55RR, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Yeah, it is a step up from Udinese who are I think famously cheap. Sampdoria is still a club that tends to rely on selling up and coming players for revenue and the first reply on the official announcement tweet is "Welcome to one year in Sampdoria," which is probably true if he continues on his current trajectory.

I am a bit curious where he winds up in Sampdoria's formation as I think they play 3 CMs with no wing players.

24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I wonder if we will see Jiri Skalak play for Brighton again? I know he was injured for a lot of last season, but he was one of Brighton's starters when they got promoted.

25. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think Skalak's best chance at first team play again is a Loan back to the Championship (or abroad) from the sounds of it. He had some electric moments but was never considered a consistent player and didn't impress in his more recent appearances.

Slavia is insisting they won't sell Soucek, but the Fiorentina's Sporting Director has not hidden the fact they are interested. I can understand Slavia's position though, Fiorentina are trying to get him cheap (~3 Million Euro, I'd say that should be closer to 5-6 even if his contract is only to 2020).

Skevin repped this.