Czech national team [R]

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Canadian_Supporter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Pavlenka - Selassie, Celustka, Brabec, Novak - Vydra, Dockal, Pavelka, Barak, Jankto - Schick

Silhavy reads BigSoccer.

Skevin repped this.
  2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's a good team. Definitely resting some players which is smart.

I just got dragged into a meeting, so I will miss the first 15

3. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This entire lineup is based abroad which is pretty cool. I can't remember the last time we did that.

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Ukraine are the better team still. We aren't as bad as we were last time we played, but Ukraine are causing us issues.

Also it looks like we have 5 at the back

5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Barak gives us possession cheaply in our final 3rd, and Ukraine score.

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I've only joined in the 88th minute, Considering promotion was always a long shot knowing that we at least played better is enough for me to not feel too bad. Though it means we still need another result against Slovakia to avoid relegation.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Just taking a quick gauge of Czech comment sections, seems most are generally happy with the progress compared to the tail-end of Jarolim.

For this match, seems strongest critiques of Barak and Jankto. A few also for Brabec, Vydra and Pavlenka.

From the announces (US feed) there was a comment that the Ukraine attack favored the left and said that Dockal was quiet (although match tracker also showed him as the assistant on a few or attempts, but the definition of attempt may be generous.)

Any thoughts on 3 best and 3 worst/ and overall compared performance to Nations League match day 1?

8. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Tough result. I think we played well enough to deserve a draw, not that it would change the outcome of this group. It also seemed like our players realized this and sort of just gave up towards the end. Overall, notably better than the last time we faced them.

Compared to Slovakia, we did possess the ball better and had quite a few neat passages of play. Though I think missing Soucek and Darida really affected our midfield. Dockal again was dropping too deep to be impactful and I even think Barak should be playing more advanced as well.

Jankto was a bit more lively than Vydra and did find himself two good scoring opportunities. The problem is that both of them are out of position, but we don't really have better options (other than the injured Kopic, while Zmrhal is not starting material in my opinion).

My top three would be Pavelka, Schick, and I guess Celustka. Three worst I'd say Vydra, Barak, and Brabec.

Right now, it's hard to say what our best XI is. With everyone healthy, there are a few debatable positions. I think Pavelka and Celustka have really played themselves into contention for further starts. I still feel a diamond 4-4-2 is worth trying.

ASU55RR repped this.
  9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I saw about 60 minutes of the game, but Barak was clearly under performing. He caused Ukraine's goal, and was not doing much for us going forward.

Vydra is also wasted at right wing in my opinion. Celustka also proved that he can be relied upon in a pinch. I don't think he is good enough to start, but if we are playing nations like Slovakia and Ukraine, he can fill in.

Pavlenka is also very good. He is our best keeper. He reminds me so much of Cech, but Pavlenka seems more agile. I really think we will have a world class keeper in a few years time.

10. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We have a friendly with Poland next Thursday ahead of our final Nations League match with Slovakia. The team should be announced some time this week.

Darida, Kalas, and Kopic are fit again and I'd like to see Krejci return as well. He's been featuring for Bologna lately and we need additional wingers.

Krmencik will be difficult to replace however. Silhavy mentioned Skoda and Ondrasek as being similar types, but I don't think either one is international material, nor are they realistic options in the long run. I'd rather see Matousek or Pulkrab since the U21s are no longer playing competitive matches.

11. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I would be a little shocked if anyone but Skoda is called up for the Krmencik spot, even though he's just returning from his own injury. He is the next most proven striker and provides the similar physicality. If Matousek was still scoring like he was at the start of the season then maybe, but while he is a tremendous athlete with plenty of upside his inexperience has shown especially in front of goal lately. Pulkrab has only recently rejoined Sparta's starting lineup when they switched to a two striker system and I think is still on the outer periphery of the senior team player options.

Wouldn't mind seeing Krejci back, although I feel at Bologna he's playing a strangely defensive wing role (part of it is probably just that the team isn't very good). He hasn't shown much in the attack yet.

12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    4-2-3-1 with Schick up top. I think we will be fine. I am happy to see Darida again. Our midfield desperately needs his engine.

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

Defense is the best we have and for once has a decent ration of central defenders to fullbacks. Midfield is solid enough, we could stand to have a few players in better form though (Jankto and Barak especially). We normally play a loan striker anyway so while I'd like to have more options it's not really going to break our game plan.

I'd probably add Krejci, Barak, a defender, and a 3rd forward after moving Vydra to 2nd forward.

14. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Sounds like Barak might be unavailable for these matches, otherwise he'd definitely be there. It's nice to see Travnik named in the initial squad. Hopefully he gets reasonable minutes against Poland.

As of now, my midfield would be Soucek, Darida, and Dockal with Kopic as one of the wingers. Not sure who I'd want in the second wing position.

15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Jankto and Vydra on the wings?

I know neither are really true wingers, but I want them on the field.

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

Can't really fault the additions based on available options, but losing 2 more wingers when we were already thin is a bit rough. Krejci had an assist last weekend and in general seems to be regaining his place at Bologna, so that will help.

17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I'm surprised Krejci wasn't called up to begin with.

I am really surprised we didn't try to schedule some friendly for Thursday or Friday. Having to wait till Monday to play a game seems like time wasted especially with a new manager.

Anyway, the slovakia game is an important gmae. We will confirm our spot in League B again with a draw or win.

Slovakia do play Ukraine who have little to play for now, so who knows what can happen there. Our goal differential is barely better than Slovakia's.

18. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think we have a friendly against Poland scheduled for Thursday.

19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Oh we do! I didn't see that on the schedule, so that is good. I am also conveniently working from home tomorrow so I can watch.

20. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am inconveniently in strategy meetings most of the day, but I should hopefully catch a little bit during lunch. Sort of hoping for 1st half as main preparation for Slovakia and 2nd half as experimenting with roster in this one.

21. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Silhavy confirmed Pavlenka will start today. Appears we'll see our strongest XI (or close to it) from the beginning.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
  23. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I approve, no outlandish picks and all players that are currently either first or a close second choice at their position's. I'm still not sold on Vydra as a wing player and our defense is still suspect, but that's just our reality. I wouldn't have minded seeing Dockal on the right and Vydra underneath Schick, but then Dockal would have just drifted centrally anyway and not sure Kaderabek can cover the right side alone.

Hope we experiment a bit after 60 minutes, would like to see Krejci, Travnik, and Darida get some minutes. Stronati getting a debut maybe as well.

adam CZ repped this.
  24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Pavelka and Soucek are a little too defensive for me in the midfield. I can see our attack getting isolated.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We're not bad. We just clearly lack a couple of talented players (who aren't keepers) to elevate us.