Czech national team [R]

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Canadian_Supporter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    There was no tactics!

We got a goal off a good move by Schick, but then the rest of the first half we were forced into our half and couldn't do anything. Our midfield was extremely deep, and we were hoping Krmencik and Schick could magically keep the ball against 5 players.

2nd half we woke up a bit more, but it wasn't enough. The 2nd half was at least balanced in terms of attacks and defense against Ukraine, but I still feel like Ukraine had the better of chances and should have scored.

Our defense looked like they never practiced with each other before. Kalas and Brabec were horrendous. Selassie looked like he was constantly forgetting he was a center back, and Kaderabek seemed confused if he should attack or defend.

Vaclik and Ukraine's poor finishing was the only thing that stopped us from being blown out at home. It's a disgrace of a performance.

2. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Ukraine beat Slovakia today so they have more or less already won the Nations League group.

We have a friendly against Russia tomorrow, everything for the next few months is preparation for qualifying. If we don't at least have a something as simple as a basic formation/strategy there is no reason to not make a change.

3. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Koubek - Coufal, Reznik, Kalas, Boril - Jankto, Horava, Soucek, Husbauer, Zmrhal - Tecl

I wasn't expecting much and I'm still let down. Not sure how we're supposed to use this game as preparation when the lineup largely consists of players who will either be on the bench or not even called up for the October games.

4. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

4-5-1 today

Starting lineup is largely an audition for players on the fringes of our player pool. While normally what I'd like to see for a friendly, in this case we don't even have a set formation so we need to try and build cohesion.

Won't be able to watch (work) and am probably more interested in our U-21 match.

5. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Similar thoughts, if we had a well defined strategy then it would be a perfect chance to audition fringe players, but with where we are now we really need to focus more on getting an identity rather than an extended roster.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That is a garbage XI. I guess I am a lucky I can't watch because I expect us to lose.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Russia is already up 1-0 according match tracker:

I feel whoever is doing the updates may just want to have that bolded part ready to copy and paste.

It's hard to organize a defense with only fullbacks on the roster, and most managers wouldn't have put themselves in that position to begin with.

8. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We are terrible. Jarolim must go. Reznik at fault for both goals.

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Make that 2-0, this time there was video highlight.

Reznik got easily held off the ball the way one might expect when an attack minded right back is asked to be a central defenser.

10. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This is even worse than the Ukraine match.

11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Already 2-0 down. Jeez.

12. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Jarolim is done.

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Russia isn't exactly playing their A team either, Jarolim must resign or be sacked after this. We are getting steadily worse since he took over.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We're going to lose to Slovakia aren't we? Then we will be relegated to C division.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Oh for sure, I wouldn't even confidently expect us to beat Luxembourg at this point. We're a complete mess and have been for a while now.

Jarolim will blame injuries and a lack of talent which might mean something if we were playing France, Belgium, Croatia, etc. These were matches against Ukraine and Russia; teams that are also mostly made up of players in 2nd tier leagues. The difference is they came out organized and played with confidence. We came out looking like a U-17 team was just told they had to play Real Madrid.

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #1066 ASU55RR, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Our 4-0 loss to Australia earlier this year is the worst loss in national team in history (by score margin). Russia have equaled that margin and have a chance to break it few minutes remaining.

FT Russia 5 - Czech Republic 1

Don't really have to add anything, the score says it all.

17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yea we need a new manager. This is pathetic.

18. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    2 of our last 4 matches are the worst losses in our country's history.

Skevin repped this.
  19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It is starting to sound like Jarolim will likely be fired (not done or official).

Normally I'd say the big problem is that the same people will still be running the FACR, but for now I'm okay with just getting a manager that can get a team of professional players to look like they've ever touched a football before. We can tackle corruption and poor administration issues later. :unsure:

20. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's frustrating because we probably have a deeper player pool overall compared to Ukraine and Slovakia, yet we look levels below them on the field. Obviously, injuries play a role in that, but even at full strength it's quite apparent that Jarolim just simply doesn't have the capacity to prepare a proper strategy and communicate it to the players.

I knew he was starting with a back three for Ukraine, as it "succeeded" against Nigeria, despite us playing just as bad and in a similar bunker fashion in that game. We have no identity and play with no pride. We're an incredibly soft team that can make any average side look like superstars. We could honestly benefit from having a psychopath for a captain (think Ujfalusi) to ignite our players.

All managers have favourites sure, but fielding half of Slavia's team with Husbauer as captain is a recipe for disaster at this level. Constantly overlooking guys like Celustka, Pavelka, and Vydra who'd actually add some depth and experience abroad is inexcusable. Czech fans bash the Turkish league, but at least it offers some challenging atmospheres and adversity off the field. These Czech league players are rarely tested in domestic play and it shows when they fail to meet the standard of international football.

Our best XI on paper is not that bad either. Inexperienced and short of leaders without a doubt, but I feel any proven manager could make something of it. The only way a nation of our size will have any sort of success is by fielding relatively the same XI throughout a qualifying cycle (think Switzerland or Iceland) that grows accustomed to playing with one another and then carrying that momentum into a major tournament.

Skevin and ASU55RR repped this.
  21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Jarolim's contract was terminated with mutual consent. It was very clear this would happen from the post-match remarks, but I still didn't want to call it certain since with Berbr in charge stupid things tend to happen.

The most likely candidate if we make a quick hire is probably Jaroslav Šilhavý, he was on Bruckner's staff for 2002 - 2008 and as manager won the league with Slavia and Liberec. He's not terrible, certainly has more contemporary success than the man he replaces, but I really would rather see us take our time a bit with this search and consider some non-traditional options (foreign managers, former players) before calling the "next in line".

Other early candidate mentioned is Lavicka, who is similar resume (although he also won a title in the Australian league), and I would similarly describe as not terrible nor particularly exciting now. He probably should have been the leading candidate when Jarolim was hired though.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Whoever it is needs to play attacking football. Our defense is incredibly mediocre so we need to focus on what we do well. Our midfield when fit is pretty good. It's not world class, but Barak, Darida, Jankto, and even Soucek are quite good.

Offense also isn't bad. Schick has quality, Vydra is a good option, and Krmencik offers that route 1 style and can hold the ball up.

Keepers we are also good with. Pavelenka is my #1 when everyone is fit, and I think Vaclik is a good #2.

23. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #1073 ASU55RR, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    On the domestic front, I think the changed league format improves the amount of matches against good competition, but in my opinion that's less of a problem than the training/conditioning techniques being used. We've had a lot of players move abroad in recent years, start promising but crash out as they have to adjust to the riggers of competing for a spot or getting injured because they're not physically prepared.

Our top teams need to invest more in training and development, but in the last few years Slavia & Sparta seem to mostly want to buy established talent (results have varied heavily) rather than invest more heavily in development while Plzen doesn't seem to want to spend any money at all.

24. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I would say Šilhavý is now a better than 90% chance.

He's a fine coach, but I feel we need someone a bit more motivational considering the recent performances have done a lot of morale damage.

Karel Poborský is reportedly interested too. If Šilhavý is hired, I think he'd be wise to involve Poborský in hist staff as his personality and reputation as a player could be a nice accompaniment to Šilhavý more traditional and tactical approach.

25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I didn't even know Poborsky had his coaching badges.

Well he'd be a great guy to have around the team. We lack leaders, and it really shows.